Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2018 11:17:51 AM EDT
They are continuing on with a 13 colonies theme, this month.

Details here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads-up. This is one I usually miss because the first weekend falls so early in the month.

Chance of rain is les than 10% so hopefully no thunderboomers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
A few more clouds here this weekend, and a 30% chance of thunderstorms.

We'll see.

Edit:  And if anyone is interested, the SKCC has a pretty good quarterly newsletter.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ha!  First contact of the contest was Frank.  I was just warming up the rig for a few minutes and checking out the propagation, and there he was.

Have a couple of things to do, and the RF from the washing machine is killing me right now, so I'll be back on in just a little bit.

Edit:  Noise levels are low here, but signals are WEAK.  I'm think I'm being generous when I give out a 549. Even the big contest station in PA is only 559.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you had a good run, Frank.  I was trying, and called CQ a lot, without much success.   I was spotted all over the reverse beacon, but I would call CQ for 10 minutes, and no one would answer.  This solar cycle has been tough.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a couple of good runs Saturday morning and afternoon on 20 and 40, but felt under the weather Sunday. I'm still sore from a chest operation and it affects my sending.

ETA: Did you notice N4OW's picture in the comments?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a couple of good runs Saturday morning and afternoon on 20 and 40, but felt under the weather Sunday. I'm still sore from a chest operation and it affects my sending.

ETA: Did you notice N4OW's picture in the comments?
View Quote
I noticed that you seemed to be slightly less active over the last month or so.  Hope everything is OK.

Those JT/FT digital modes make awards chasing pretty easy, but I don't see how you could effectively communicate with them.  It's one thing to make contact, but something else entirely, to actually  get a message through to the other station.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
A routine X-ray in March revealed a malignant spot on my lung that was removed in late April. Post-op biopsy indicates they got it all. My ribs and chest are still sore.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Dang, that sounds serious, but good news that they got it all.  Here's to a speedy recovery!  
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I noticed that you seemed to be slightly less active over the last month or so.  Hope everything is OK.

Those JT/FT digital modes make awards chasing pretty easy, but I don't see how you could effectively communicate with them.  It's one thing to make contact, but something else entirely, to actually  get a message through to the other station.
View Quote
There is a new app out called FT8Call. It literally has been out for about a week and is being beta tested right now. From what I gather, it is a modification of FT8 where you can text message back and forth. I started playing with it yesterday a little bit. A new version was just announced this morning but I haven't downloaded it yet.

Frank, all the best to you. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top