Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2022 8:21:22 PM EDT
Is there anyway to improve or reverse rusting shells? Waterfowling in rain and don't really want to toss out $40 boxes of shells.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used 10 year old slightly rusty shells befor . I took some fine sand paper to a few but did not have any problems when using them . All were fired in a 30 year old 870 . Like you stated they are too expensive to throw away . I'm talking a little rust on the surface nothing on the seal or primer .
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Happens quite a bit. Take some Rem Oil /WD40or any oil and wipe them down while using a bit of steel wool to clean them up. If they aren't pitted horribly they should cycle. If the rust is corroded or made it around the primer, I would discard.
Without pictures it is a bit hard to give perfect advice but, I hunt ducks and birds this time of year a couple times a week and have had to clean shells I've left in the bed of my pickup and typically it's no issue.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cardplayer] [#3]
Double
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Car paste wax.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I would throw then in a vibratory tumbler with corn cob media and some polish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top