Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2022 10:41:01 AM EDT
Few points here.... probably most importantly periodically check your supplies. I wasn't checking,  just moving and I noticed some of the number 10 cans I had sitting directly on carpet are starting to rust on the bottom. Even though in climate controlled area I'm assuming there's been enough humidity that  the carpet has acted like a damp sponge

Second point is based on above keep that in mind if you're dealing with carpet,  I'm assuming I wouldn't have this issue if it wasn't in direct contact with carpet

Third point is I've noticed it's pretty much is only happening with Augason Farm, which might explain part of why they're cheaper than some others, looks like they're skimping out on and using lower quality cans

On to the question,  is there any reason I shouldn't spray paint the bottoms of the effected cans? Haven't decided if it's even needed, about the only thing I could see is someone chemicals in the paint leeching into the food but that doesn't seem likely
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see why not. If it gets to the point where paint can get in, the seal is gone and no good anyway.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
That's my thoughts exactly..... and I feel like it's overkill but considering some of this cans I hope will last over 25 years, if they're showing signs of rust within one year it might be a cheap and quick insurance policy
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If that zinc isn't holding up to minor atmospheric conditions or a bit of wet carpet in a controlled environment, I'd consider using those cans stat and replacing them with fresh product. I don't know if they're plastic-lined cans but it's doubtful the plating is any better on the inside in either case.

Edit: is the carpet directly on concrete? You may have a water leak issue if not.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not turn them upside down? Let the plastic lid touch the carpet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]
For the two posts above.... not directly on concrete, wood joists with a crawl space under. It's only temporary and they'll not be in the same house nor carpet in the future. And I do plan on rotating them out early.  As mentioned I have some other brands that aren't Augason Farm that have probably been on the carpet at least twice as long so it's a little concerning for  AF due to their prices I've almost exclusively been going with them lately

And that's a good idea about using the plastic lids as a break between the carpet
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a few stainless steel racks to put in our storeroom. It keeps our #10 cans off the carpet. Also using a rack for our 6 month supply rotation. They work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Varnish or shellac cans in areas with high humidity. Remove the paper labels, write the information on the with markers, varnish.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input... was just surprised how quickly some of them are showing rust. Luckily only a few, just something I realized I need to pay attention to
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a roll of VCI paper, lay on floor, place cans on VCI paper.

Never place ANY metal cans directly  on cement, always use something that can block water vapor under your cans.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes silver colored.... a little disappointing Augason Farm is using cans that won't hold up a year in less than ideal conditions for things that are supposed to last 25
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not turn them upside down? Let the plastic lid touch the carpet.
View Quote

That's way too easy. Prepper solutions must be thoroughly over thought to be viable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Just an an FYI,

I have been buying/storing/using Augason Farms products since 2010 and have not had any rust on any of their #10 cans.

They have not been stored in 100% ideal conditions, but also not stored in contact with carpet or concrete.
Always on wood or wire shelving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top