Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2020 6:32:32 PM EDT
I'm on my third insulated steel water bottle and trying to keep this one working. My last two would get banged up and loose their insulation properties (as discovered by the boiling water test).

I just coated my newest one in nonskid spray. I might try rubber spray on the next.

Short of babying the bottle, has anyone tried anything that made their insulated water bottle more durable? Or maybe there's a bottle out there that you've found to be tough?
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What brand are you using?

The vacuum bottles are a bit more delicate, but a reasonable amount of care should keep them from losing seal.  Don't throw them around, etc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
First one was a hydro flask. No throwing but I did drop it a few times. It doesn't work at all anymore for insulating.

Using a TAL now (Chinese likely) and it works okay but it's a beast. Just picked up another Chinese (Sendestar) and it seems well made and a bit slimmer.

All in 40oz.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember back in the olden times when vacuum bottles were made out of glass?  Encased on a metal shell?  And how you had to take care of them?  The all-metal ones are quite as delicate but you're not going to find any bottle out there that's going to take roughhousing.

I've dropped a Yeti cup a time or two and they're survived; maybe the knock-offs are made of thinner material.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've dropped a Yeti cup a time or two and they're survived; maybe the knock-offs are made of thinner material.
View Quote

Maybe that's the case. Wouldn't surprise me. I may do one in nonskid and maybe another in that rubber spray..weight isn't a huge issue..
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm on my third insulated steel water bottle and trying to keep this one working. My last two would get banged up and loose their insulation properties (as discovered by the boiling water test).

I just coated my newest one in nonskid spray. I might try rubber spray on the next.

Short of babying the bottle, has anyone tried anything that made their insulated water bottle more durable? Or maybe there's a bottle out there that you've found to be tough?
View Quote

My stupid expensive Yeti stainless bottle has been super rugged. Been in several outdoor jobsites, camping, etc and new dents or anything. It was a gift and has been great during hot weather (ice water all day long) or freezing cold (hot coffee or soup).

They have a couple larger sizes as well.

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 2:10:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I've dropped my Rtic and walmart brand steel vacuum bottles and coozies countless times, and they have the dents and scratches to prove it.  They haven't broken vacuum yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My stupid expensive Yeti stainless bottle has been super rugged. Been in several outdoor jobsites, camping, etc and new dents or anything. It was a gift and has been great during hot weather (ice water all day long) or freezing cold (hot coffee or soup).

They have a couple larger sizes as well.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/494438/2C2C946B-357F-445A-9853-010FB6F34082-1518244.jpg
View Quote

I have this, with the flip-up straw cap. I have dropped it a few times from +- 4 feet or so, and it went skidding down the street when I crashed on my motorcycle. Still works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#8]
My Iron Flask 40oz has been pretty decent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've dropped my Rtic and walmart brand steel vacuum bottles and coozies countless times, and they have the dents and scratches to prove it.  They haven't broken vacuum yet.
View Quote

My RTIC fell about 5' onto a concrete floor and dented so badly that I had to take a hammer to the bottom in order to make it stand up straight, and it never broke vacuum.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm guessing the size may have a lot to do with it too. Mine are all 40oz bottles.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Kleen Kanteen,  I have lots and they stand up well to
kids, adults, Jeeps, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a Hydro flask and I love it
View Quote

I get that. I did too and it isn't insulated anymore after a few drops.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Nalgene bottle with one of the Nalgene brand neoprene sleeves.  Yeah, I'm on my second sleeve after it bounced off the four wheeler and I ran over it, but the bottle is still going strong (it's about eight years old) and it'll keep water cold far longer than it'll last with me drinking from it regularly.  It's old school, kinda bulky and you get no "look at my Yeti" style points, but it works.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#16]
My RTIC stuff had a few dents and dings and still works perfect.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Screw Yeti. I got one as a gift that had lost the vacuum from the start, no rough-housing, brand new in package. The gift giver couldn't locate the receipt and Yeti said to go pound sand w/o a receipt. Store wouldn't take it back w/o a receipt. So I have a $30 bottle that will melt a full bottle of ice in about 6 hours.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to say this

Get the RTIC if you want to spend a little more.  They do seem a little better than the Walmart Ozark Trail brand but i havent had issues with either

Hell if you get the Walmart ones they are only like $7-10 depending on size/style, you could buy a couple extra for backup and still be less than one hydro flask or yeti
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Hydro flask is garbage, even if you're a trendy pre-teen girl. My daughter had to have one! I made her buy it with her own money as she had a perfectly functional Yeti that she brings to school and has dropped many times. 2 lids later and 3 light drops, and she's mad at herself for spending all her money on a piece of crap. Yeti makes a damn good bottle and the mag lid is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top