Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2018 11:45:40 AM EDT
Hi folks !

I just retired and have a solidly built trunk vault installed in my 4X4 Chevy Tahoe.  The third row seating has been removed.

I keep GHB/BOB’s in there for the wife and I plus range gear, tools etc etc.

As a long time LEO I had the exact same set up in my police Tahoe, except I carried either a AR15 or a SCAR 16.

Now that I am retired I have been carrying a beat up, but very reliable Mini-14 with extra mags and ammo in the trunk vault as my truck gun.

I am now looking at the Ruger Gunsite Rifle in .308 to replace the Mini 14.

I like that it is in .308 and is a light (well almost light), fast handling, hard hitting rifle.  It also seems to be a reliable rifle too.

What does this forum think ?

Pics of our set up

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Where's the beer? I don't see any in there.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Whiskey
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
What's your intended purpose for the truck gun? Having it in case of unrest or for shooting animals, or both?

For defense against people the Mini-14 is better by virtue of being a semiauto in a suitable caliber. Plus, you already have it and it's paid for. The GSR would be better for putting down animals, ASSuming you buy one in .308. Aside from that, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortably leaving a GSR in my vehicle all the time, simply based on the cost.

FWIW, I own a 182-series Mini-14 and a GSR, and like both. If you get a GSR, get Magpul mags or at least the Ruger polymer magazines. The Ruger steel mags don't feed as smoothly and are ridiculously bulky for the capacity.

Gratuitous GSR pic:

Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your intended purpose for the truck gun? Having it in case of unrest or for shooting animals, or both?

For defense against people the Mini-14 is better by virtue of being a semiauto in a suitable caliber. Plus, you already have it and it's paid for. The GSR would be better for putting down animals, ASSuming you buy one in .308. Aside from that, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortably leaving a GSR in my vehicle all the time, simply based on the cost.

FWIW, I own a 182-series Mini-14 and a GSR, and like both. If you get a GSR, get Magpul mags or at least the Ruger polymer magazines. The Ruger steel mags don't feed as smoothly and are ridiculously bulky for the capacity.

Gratuitous GSR pic:

https://i.imgur.com/lO4A7yR.jpg
View Quote
I am not a hunter, per se, but can hunt if needed.  I would have it mostly for SHTF self defense.  I am not worried about loss/theft as you can see the trunk vault is made of steel and bolted to the frame.   In addition I have theft protection through On-Star for the Tahoe.  And the GSR is easily replaced with the Mini-14, or an AR or the SCAR-16.

I like your GSR, looks great, what scope are you using ?

Eta: the Ruger GSR being offered to me looks like yours, minus the scope, for $600.  Slightly used.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
At $600, that would change the calculus for me.

The scope is a Leupold VX-2 1.5-4x28 Intermediate Eye Relief scope. I tried a couple different scopes and mounts on the rifle, including a Burris mounted conventionally, and settled on this one. My reasoning:
  • The Burris mounted in Ruger rings over the receiver interfered with rapid bolt manipulation and left me without a BUIS.
  • I tried the XS rail but it added too much height to the scope and a little more weight, but had no benefits for my use.
  • The Leupold is mounted very low in Warne QD rings. It's at the correct height so that I can quickly mount the rifle and not crane my neck to get a sight picture. The ocular bell is far enough forward to prevent scope eye, even when shot prone. It's easily removable if I need to switch to irons.
I'd still prefer a semiauto for general SHTF/unrest use. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At $600, that would change the calculus for me.

The scope is a Leupold VX-2 1.5-4x28 Intermediate Eye Relief scope. I tried a couple different scopes and mounts on the rifle, including a Burris mounted conventionally, and settled on this one. My reasoning:
  • The Burris mounted in Ruger rings over the receiver interfered with rapid bolt manipulation and left me without a BUIS.
  • I tried the XS rail but it added too much height to the scope and a little more weight, but had no benefits for my use.
  • The Leupold is mounted very low in Warne QD rings. It's at the correct height so that I can quickly mount the rifle and not crane my neck to get a sight picture. The ocular bell is far enough forward to prevent scope eye, even when shot prone. It's easily removable if I need to switch to irons.
I'd still prefer a semiauto for general SHTF/unrest use. YMMV.
View Quote
Thanks, I will look at that scope.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi folks !
I just retired and have a solidly built trunk vault installed in my 4X4 Chevy Tahoe.  The third row seating has been removed.
I keep GHB/BOB’s in there for the wife and I plus range gear, tools etc etc.
As a long time LEO I had the exact same set up in my police Tahoe, except I carried either a AR15 or a SCAR 16.
Now that I am retired I have been carrying a beat up, but very reliable Mini-14 with extra mags and ammo in the trunk vault as my truck gun.
I am now looking at the Ruger Gunsite Rifle in .308 to replace the Mini 14.
I like that it is in .308 and is a light (well almost light), fast handling, hard hitting rifle.  It also seems to be a reliable rifle too.
What does this forum think ?
Pics of our set up
http://i.imgur.com/fRNDu2Z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JlAujjy.jpg
View Quote
Awesome trunk security right there!  ..... Congrats too on your retirement.

If you haven't settled on the Ruger Scout, I can recommend the synthetic-stocked 7.62/.308 Mossberg Scout.

I handled all the commercial Scouts before buying anything, but liked the Mossy the best.  It's the least expensive and lightest weight of the various commercial Scouts and accepts the inexpensive MagPul 7.62 mags, as well as M1A mags. The railage is such that you can run either a forward-mounted red-dot or Scout scope (mine runs a fixed-power 4x Weaver SS), or a traditional receiver-mounted scope. The trigger is adjustable, similar to Savage's Accu-trigger.

The muzzle is threaded and ships wearing an A2 FH. I removed it and installed an AAC 7.62 51-t FH to accept my SDN-6 can. Accuracy of various 5-shot groups was about 2" at 100yds. Suppression on the 16" barrel was great.

Still playing around with factory ammo and handloads to see what it likes, but for "hunting accuracy" it's already there IMO. I see the Mossy Scout as a reasonably accurate, easy-to-shoot 'truck gun,' one I can use as a general 'beater' gun and not feel guilty about it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a savage scout rifle in 308 because I liked the concept.  I found however that I was not able to shoot with the accuracy I am accustomed to or even confirm targets with reliability.  While I bought it as a truck gun, I took it hunting a few times planning to use it on running deer.  What I found was that I was not able to identify if a buck was legal (number of points) within the time I needed to shoot.  I still have it as a training took for my children, but I do not use it.

I am accustomed to a traditional scope and can find my target just as fast in a traditional scope while having better target identification and increased accuracy.

I am no longer a man with young eyes, so perhaps the concept will work for you better than it did for me..
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you haven't settled on the Ruger Scout, I can recommend the synthetic-stocked 7.62/.308 Mossberg Scout.

I handled all the commercial Scouts before buying anything, but liked the Mossy the best.  It's the least expensive and lightest weight of the various commercial Scouts and accepts the inexpensive MagPul 7.62 mags, as well as M1A mags. The railage is such that you can run either a forward-mounted red-dot or Scout scope (mine runs a fixed-power 4x Weaver SS), or a traditional receiver-mounted scope. The trigger is adjustable, similar to Savage's Accu-trigger.

The muzzle is threaded and ships wearing an A2 FH. I removed it and installed an AAC 7.62 51-t FH to accept my SDN-6 can. Accuracy of various 5-shot groups was about 2" at 100yds. Suppression on the 16" barrel was great.

Still playing around with factory ammo and handloads to see what it likes, but for "hunting accuracy" it's already there IMO. I see the Mossy Scout as a reasonably accurate, easy-to-shoot 'truck gun,' one I can use as a general 'beater' gun and not feel guilty about it.
View Quote
You are so right.  I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308 which is a great shooting gun.  Mine sports a bi-pod and a Leupold 4X14 scope.  It is a 1 MOA gun all day long and it is the reason I started shooting and really liking the .308.  I could reconfigure it to “Scout” status, but it already has a place where it is.

Plus the Ruger is only $600 slightly used so I bought it yesterday.

I am now waiting the required california liberal left unicorn special snowflake we can’t trust you even though you were a cop for 32.5 years “10 day waiting period” for cooling off.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to write that if you kept an AR or SCAR in the trunk for years for bad guys, shouldn't you do the same now in retirement? I have done the same thought process and ended up with an AR pistol for my space and needs, but may switch to a 16" as my storage space permits.

Then I realized you're in CA so I'm sure that factors into it. A bolt action with detachable (low capacity) mag is legal in almost every place I looked, especially if you can't carry it loaded. for that, makes a ton of sense and go for it.

I would be happy to keep a bolt gun in 308 nearby in my truck, especially when you live a bit rural or think you may need the punch of the bigger round. I decided on a 223 semi auto since my most likely issue is city people.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking safe, I wouldn't be concerned about theft with that bad boy in the trunk. I think semi automatic is a better option if shit hits the fan. I like the GSR, dont get me wrong, but in a bad situation semi auto will be better. Why wont you stick with the SCAR? I feel like that would be the best bet, you could even supplement that with a GSR replacement in the form of a Ruger Predator in .308 (or 7mm-08 or 6.5 creed) for less than 350$ if you look. Coupled with a lower end leupold or similar you've got a capable rifle for under $500 that will do the exact same thing the GSR would for at-least half the price and definitely 2/3's weight at least.

So in true Arfcom fashion I'm suggesting "get both" but modified, swap the Mini for the Scar and buy a Ruger Predator as well. Hell, throw a Shockwave in there as well for inpromptu breaching activities as well
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice looking safe, I wouldn't be concerned about theft with that bad boy in the trunk. I think semi automatic is a better option if shit hits the fan. I like the GSR, dont get me wrong, but in a bad situation semi auto will be better. Why wont you stick with the SCAR? I feel like that would be the best bet, you could even supplement that with a GSR replacement in the form of a Ruger Predator in .308 (or 7mm-08 or 6.5 creed) for less than 350$ if you look. Coupled with a lower end leupold or similar you've got a capable rifle for under $500 that will do the exact same thing the GSR would for at-least half the price and definitely 2/3's weight at least.

So in true Arfcom fashion I'm suggesting "get both" but modified, swap the Mini for the Scar and buy a Ruger Predator as well. Hell, throw a Shockwave in there as well for inpromptu breaching activities as well
View Quote
Bahahaha.  I was thinking the same thing.  I might just keep the Mini-14 in there and add the GSR.

Then I have options wherever I may go.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bahahaha.  I was thinking the same thing.  I might just keep the Mini-14 in there and add the GSR.

Then I have options wherever I may go.  
View Quote
Variety is the spice of life my friend!
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are so right.  I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308 which is a great shooting gun.  Mine sports a bi-pod and a Leupold 4X14 scope.  It is a 1 MOA gun all day long and it is the reason I started shooting and really liking the .308.  I could reconfigure it to “Scout” status, but it already has a place where it is.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a bad price for the Ruger, so good luck with it.

But I can tell you, having handled both quite a bit, that the Mossy Scout is significantly lighter in weight than the MVP Patrol rifle.

I am now waiting the required california liberal left unicorn special snowflake we can’t trust you even though you were a cop for 32.5 years “10 day waiting period” for cooling off.
Yeah, I hear you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
You would do better with this Chief.  Both guns use g-17 mags.   Both can take the 32 round glock mags.  I have heard that the muzzle velocity of a 9mm coming out of that barrel are close to .357 mag.......

Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I say that would make a fine truck gun.  Having been LEO for some time I doubt you need any of us telling you that YOU MUSH HAVE SEMI TO SURVIVE, because we all know that is not the case.
-This coming from someone who also primarily runs bolt & pump guns.
With more time on your hands you will probably find yourself switching things out often anyways so I say run any long gun, because even a single shot shotgun will come in handy SHTF.
If I didn't put stuff in the back of my pickup so often I would install a cap and security box like yours because being able to have a setup with you like that, at all times is neat as heck.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd rather have the Mini-14.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You would do better with this Chief.  Both guns use g-17 mags.   Both can take the 32 round glock mags.  I have heard that the muzzle velocity of a 9mm coming out of that barrel are close to .357 mag.......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KhB52K-PlNk/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
You are correct AND I have BOTH.  The problem is I am in Calislavia.

I have a legally acquired/registered Sub2000 but carrying it around and staying within the law is paramount.

There are only so many exceptions to carrying “assault weapons” in a vehicle and storing it there isn’t one of them when I make a run to the store.

Lever/bolt or mini-14 types are, however, allowed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd rather have the Mini-14.
View Quote
Agreed, I am going to have both.

It also means if I/we are in the wild places or dangerous places I can arm a second person if needed.

I am going to build a separator space for each.   When I am done I will post pics.

I pick up the Ruger GSR sunday.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agreed, I am going to have both.

It also means if I/we are in the wild places or dangerous places I can arm a second person if needed.

I am going to build a separator space for each.   When I am done I will post pics.

I pick up the Ruger GSR sunday.
View Quote
Thanks for the update, looking forward to see your build!
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Pic rail for the GSR (not MIL-STD-1913 spec)

Bradley cheekrest for ACOG or other mounted optics w/ good cheekweld

the Ruger polymer 3 round is ok, the larger ones suck - go w/ Magpul

thought that Mr SCAR 17 would replace the GSR, but this thing is just too handy
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn man, I like that setup, I now feel naked going out and not having half of that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#23]
** UPDATE **

I grabbed some 1x6 pine boards and made a rifle section in my trunk vault.  I removed the rifle case, padded the section and added both rifles.

Well here is the rifle.

I placed a Vortex 2x7 Entended eye relief scout scope on it with medium rings.  I also purchased (3) of the Ruger polymer 10 round mags.  They load much much better than the 10 round steel mag that came with it.  And they have dust covers to protect the ammo.  I liked that.  *Thanks Dave_Markowitz

Later next week I will visit Spectre Gear in Visalia CA and have a proper sling fitted to it.

I have fired almost 200 rounds through this rifle already.  First sighting it in and second running drills, including transition drills.  (Hence a better sling, the one I used sucked, but it is all I had.)

The rifle was flawless and shot an average of 1-1.25 moa at 100 yards if I do my part.

I used Winchester 147 Grain Nato ammo exclusively.

From the assigned table at the range and using a laser range finder....

From 100 yards to about 250 yards no moa needed to be added
At 330 yards I had to add 2 moa on the scope
At 421 yards I had to add 4 moa on the scope
At 543 yards I had to add 10 moa to the scope (It starts to really drop off after 500 yards).

I suspect with a short barrel and 147 grain Nato ball ammo this would be the case.

I have added the mags plus additional ammo (not too much) to the vault.  Each mag holds (9) rounds.

My final thoughts are, coupled with the Mini-14, I have the best of both worlds.

Light, fast handling in one arena, light, accurate, and hard hitting at distance in the other.

I feel confident this set up could be pretty useful.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#24]
A friend was running his through some drills on my range today and
the stock cracked behind the tang. Did not expect that...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#25]
OP-you sir, have your shit squared away!

Awesome looking setup.

And congrats on your retirement.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A friend was running his through some drills on my range today and
the stock cracked behind the tang. Did not expect that...
View Quote
Thanks, I will keep and eye on that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP-you sir, have your shit squared away!

Awesome looking setup.

And congrats on your retirement.
View Quote
Thanks, just got back from the range this morning at the crack of dawn.  Here in Cali its hot already.  (78 degrees at 0530hrs, high of 106 projected)

I originally sighted in at 100 with a bi-pod, now the bi-pod has been removed in line with the Scout rifle concept.

Snap shooting at 25 and 50 yards followed by carefully placed head shots at 100 yards.  A good pack helps in this regard, in our case a GHB.

I’m pretty sure I have it dialed in pretty good.  Now I just need a good sling.

I have been here since 2003-2004 (pre-Katrina) and this portion of the website has been awesome.

Mrs Taft, I, and the kids are very well prepared.  Guns, ammo, water, food stores, comms, renewables, solar, etc etc.

We are blessed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Looking good, @Taft.

FWIW, the GSRs have the reputation of shooting more accurately with heavier bullets, e.g., 165 grains vs. 150s. I haven't wrung mine out enough yet to determine if that's the case with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looking good, @Taft.

FWIW, the GSRs have the reputation of shooting more accurately with heavier bullets, e.g., 165 grains vs. 150s. I haven't wrung mine out enough yet to determine if that's the case with it.
View Quote
I have a bunch of the Nato 147 grain and a bunch of the Federal 175 grain Sierra Match King stuff, but haven’t tried it yet.

The 147 grain shot good groups at 100 yards and was very consistant.  I suspect the 175 grain would do as well or better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I have savage scout 11 rifle, great shooter, but found your optic weight is really important for these scout rifles. I'm was considering selling this rifle for this reason but I handled a friends mossberg scout with FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm 7.5oz optic. What a difference it made. I have a leatherwood hi-lux ler27x32 .308 bdc 12.5oz. If you go with ruger I suggest getting the lightest optic you can find.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine Loves PMX xtac, 168gr from SG Ammo. It will keep 5 under an inch. I have the 556 Scout and it loves some 77gr imi razor core. They are very consistent shooting rifles.
Honestly mine shoots patterns with 147gr ball.  All commercial type ammo does great though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mine Loves PMX xtac, 168gr from SG Ammo. It will keep 5 under an inch. I have the 556 Scout and it loves some 77gr imi razor core. They are very consistent shooting rifles.
Honestly mine shoots patterns with 147gr ball.  All commercial type ammo does great though.
View Quote
I was just at the range again sunday and was firing at 100 and 200 yard gongs with the Nato 147.   No issues.

I have about 500 rounds of the 168 grain Federal and will try some of that on my next trip to see how it does.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Retired and still living in California? Must be N. CA.
I see a lot of retired Californians living in the Ozarks or Missouri. Cheap land.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a Tactical Intervention sling that I love. They are worth a look.

-shooter
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#35]
In my suburban I had the two drawer truck vault and loved it however I was rear ended and the back could not be opened and so could not pull out the drawers.
It took six guys with pry bars to lift the vault up and the we hooked a winch from the tow truck to the handle to try and pull it out but it would not fit and not only did the doors not come off it pulled the whole truck along with no damage to the vault.
So we put pry bars with pipes in the seams and finally pried the top up and kept working on it till we could get in, took a very long time and we were about to just give in and try using a power saw. Thing is how many people have one of these handy when you need to get in there.

Now I love the protection they offer it was amazing but if you were to get in an accident and needed to extract your kit you are screwed, if there was a fire it would have all been gone and there is no way to access it from the other side. I with there was another door so you could get access in case of emergency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top