Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2018 11:55:36 AM EDT
I spend a number of days up north hunting grouse and woodcock - often in very wet, boggy areas.  My Irish Setter lightweight boots are great for walking in
until they get wet.  Rubber barn boots are great for keeping water out, not so much for walking long distances.

So - any suggestions for a boot that fits snug, reasonably light, comfortable over long walks, and keeps my feet dry in 8" to 10" puddles and mud.

The classic LL Bean rubbers might be OK but I think they are all insulated for winter use.  I need very light insulation if any since we're talking about above
freezing temps most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been wearing Muck Boots for 12 years. I have several pairs that I use for everything from summer dog training to fall hunting. They happen to fit my feet well and keep me dry.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Original Bean boots are un-insulated, however they suck, are expensive for what they are, and wear out quickly.

LaCrosse Grange boots fit well and are fine for walking.  Also un-insulated.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Le Chameau is what you seek.

Best boots.
View Quote
This ^ except the moleskin lines version which cost a fraction of the leather liner version in the link.

They last too; I’ve had a pair more than a decade, with regular use.

Here’s a jersey lined version also at Orvis for less than 1/2 the cost of the leather lined version: https://m.orvis.com/category/Le%20chameau%20boots/2CR3/

A good pair of Wellington’s will also due for less $,  it won’t last as long and aren’t as comfortable as the Le  Chamaeu
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have been wearing Muck Boots for 12 years. I have several pairs that I use for everything from summer dog training to fall hunting. They happen to fit my feet well and keep me dry.
View Quote
This.  My Muck boots feel like I'm wearing slippers, very comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Le Chameau is what you seek.

Best boots.
View Quote
Like my post above mentioned I use muck boots. I watch for sales. Never paid more than $75 a pair and have two pairs which are more than 10 years old. There are MUCH better boots out there if your budget is larger. I know many guys who wear these.

I think the biggest challenge to rubber boots is finding a pair that is built to match your exact foot size and shape. One you do, you are golden.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think the biggest challenge to rubber boots is finding a pair that is built to match your exact foot size and shape. One you do, you are golden.
View Quote
This is my issue.  Certainly haven't been anywhere that had $500 boots on the shelf, but the slip on rubber boots I have tried in the store did not give me confidence that they would be comfy after a 5 mile walk.  Probably need to widen my search away from Farm & Fleet
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is my issue.  Certainly haven't been anywhere that had $500 boots on the shelf, but the slip on rubber boots I have tried in the store did not give me confidence that they would be comfy after a 5 mile walk.  Probably need to widen my search away from Farm & Fleet
View Quote
Scheels, cabelas, etc. all have good selections of purpose built rubber/neoprene boots.  My cabelas brand muck knock offs are wearing great.  5mm neoprene is a little warm on mild days, but I love them until it gets cold enough for the 2000G rubber boots to come out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear Muck boots but they are a little on the warm side until it gets cold out. I used to wear a pair of lightweight hip waders(made out of a canvas type material) and those were about perfect. The set I had fit my feet well and besides keeping my feet dry they also kept my pants dry when the grass was damp in the morning. I've been thinking about picking up a set of neoprene hip waders but I'm afraid they would get torn to shreds if you got into thorny stuff.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
LaCrosse Grange if you don't need insulation.  $70, as comfortable as tennis shoes, and last as long as any rubber boot out there.  I usually get a year out of them, unless it's a really wet year or I knock a hole in them.

I wear them pretty much every day when it's wet, if you only wore them on the weekends they'd last a decade or until they dry rotted.  I've probably been through 25 pair.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear Schnees if we doi much walking.  Mine are about 10 years old, the rubber lowers finally cracked.  I sent them in for a rebuild- cost $110 I think, but they completely replaced the lowers and reconditioned the uppers.  You can get them uninsulated, medium insulated or heavy insulated.  They have various upper heights available also.  I think mine are medium (5mm) insulation and 12" height.

If it's going to just be a day in the layout blind or not much walking I wear mucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top