Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2019 12:04:08 PM EDT
Anyone tried one of these?  Hopefully not a dupe post.

I like the idea and the execution.  Just don't know about the price.  10 gallon capacity and can be pressurized with the 12 volt tire pump.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a plastic 5gal jerry can.
Tire valve and kitchen sink sprayer adapted to the filler cap.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Water would be danger level hot in AZ right now. My house tap cold water was 115F yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen these DIY with black PVC and a cheap piece of hose. Makes sense if you're going to frequent a beach or similar and want to rinse off before coming back in. Doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money and keep a lot of weight high up on your car without the need. I would think gravity should be fine, you're not at a spa.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen these DIY with black PVC and a cheap piece of hose. Makes sense if you're going to frequent a beach or similar and want to rinse off before coming back in. Doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money and keep a lot of weight high up on your car without the need. I would think gravity should be fine, you're not at a spa.
View Quote
This pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can’t speak to this specific device but I can tell you that a little bit of pressure goes a long way when trying to rinse the soap off.  Overall, you’ll use less water with a pressurized system than with a gravity fed one, all else being equal.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a water port. It works as advertised.

Road Shower was unobtainium when I was ready to buy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I use these for hurricanes.  Easy to control the temp.

Amazon Product
  • Lightweight, non-toxic PVC
  • Compact and easy to use
  • Includes cord for hanging

Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a couple of thread about them on ExPo (a search there should turn up some good info on them as well as home made models), reports are generally very good once you get past the price.  It's supposedly well made and lasts and as noted, the ability to pressurize it is definitely a plus.  If you build your own, add a Schrader valve 9typically to the fill cap) and you can add a few pounds of pressure with a bike pump for a much better stream.  The main downside, besides the price, is that you're putting weight up high.  I'm honestly surprised no one has added a 12v heating element to one yet; if they have, I haven't seen it.

I've thought about buying one or building one but for for my purposes, a simple 1gal pump sprayer works well enough (and I'm cheap).  I fill it about halfway then dump hot water in to bring it to the temp I want.  Take the wand part off and put the nozzle on the spray handle to make it short enough to be practical.  When I was mountain biking a lot I'd keep it in the truck to rinse me and the bike but these days I just keep a Simple Shower* in one of the camping totes that lives in the back.  Add a one or two liter bottle and it's plenty for rinsing off or even a quick shower.

*No relation, I bought one when they were testing them out and first offered them on ExPo.  It's been a great addition to the junk I normally carry and I used it a lot when I was living in the Philippines for rinsing off after surfing or swimming, hiking, etc.  It's been to several countries now and I have a spare sitting with my other camping gear.

ETA- On those cheap solar bags (I also own one of the old Solar Shower brand), take the crappy push/pull head off and toss it in the trash.  Replace with a sink sprayer from Lowe's/HD/etc.; the push/pull things always leak and they're a PITA to try to use with soapy hands or while holding a bike/dog/etc with the other.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone did a nice review on one of those on the Overlanding Bound forums. I researched them and a lot people complained that they were cheaply made and leaked. I purchased a Zodi that was on sale several years ago. With it, you can always get hot water regardless of the weather,  but you are dependent on propane. I think a small solar shower is the easiest route.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone did a nice review on one of those on the Overlanding Bound forums. I researched them and a lot people complained that they were cheaply made and leaked. I purchased a Zodi that was on sale several years ago. With it, you can always get hot water regardless of the weather,  but you are dependent on propane. I think a small solar shower is the easiest route.
View Quote
Interesting, makes me wonder if the early reports I saw were comp'd.  There seems to be so much of that sponsorship begging on youtube that it can make reviews seems worthless.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting, makes me wonder if the early reports I saw were comp'd.  There seems to be so much of that sponsorship begging on youtube that it can make reviews seems worthless.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I usually just read the bad reviews. I just assume that a product should work as advertised and most don't take the time to write a review unless tthey're offered something in return or the product really sucks. I think it has 3.5 stars on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heard of Road Pops.

Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Helton Hot Shower heat exchanger (HE1A) close to 10 years ago and it's awesome.  Pricey, but awesome.

I tapped into my heater core input/output lines, and hard mounted a 12v water pump inside my engine bay.

Works like a charm.  If I don't want hot water, I just rinse off after the truck has been off for a while.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#15]
as previously commented... a dedicated (no insecticide/herbicide) poly pump style garden sprayer painted black is my backup hurricane shower system... my hot water tank holds for about 2 days, and typically the cool water is welcomed in a non air conditioned Florida house, but Irma was overcast for a couple of days and the warm shower was nice... I just use the OEM valve/wand but have seen others retro fitted with longer hoses and hand valves designed to rinse dishes
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Water would be danger level hot in AZ right now. My house tap cold water was 115F yesterday.
View Quote
Black 5gal water jugs on the deck of a track would get dangerously hot out at NTC. (Death Valley area)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top