Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2018 4:30:27 PM EDT
Anyone have any recommendations for shooting sticks or a tripod for a 10 year olds first hunt?  I have never used any support and have no idea what actually works in the field.  I need to get him shooting well in field positions.  Any insight would be appreciated
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Primos gen 3 Trigger Stick Tripod.  Be sure to get the correct height.  You may want the 2 point rest adapter.  Best deals are on ebay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primos gen 3 Trigger Stick Tripod.  Be sure to get the correct height.  You may want the 2 point rest adapter.  Best deals are on ebay.
View Quote
I saw this one, but it seemed almost too cool to function reliably so I wasn't sure about it.  Does a 2 point rest on a tripod work very well?  Seems like one would be much steadier sitting with a single point tripod or bipod, but that is just a guess.  I think I might try the sticks with the rubber tube on top and if he needs more try a tripod.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#3]
My daughter uses a Harris bipod.

We do everything we can to sheeot from the lowest position possible.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
When my son first started deer hunting at 7yrs we used a bipod like the trigger sticks, but screw adjusted. Or Stoney stick folding/bungee corded sitting height sticks for hunting in a pop up. Worked well.

I have two sets of trigger sticks; they work great till they inevitably get bent a bit, then they still work but you may need to pull a leg or two out. I use the trigger sticks for night time predator hunting. I always carry the Stoney Sticks in my deer hunting day pack, they travel great and are great when you need them. Bass Pro has a similar set for like $20 or so.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
https://hunterspec.com/product/quik-shot-shooting-sticks

These work with any size person, and just about any position.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I took a 1x2x8 and cut it in half, spray painted it and but a bolt with wingnut so it could be stowed easy. Built it for my kid brother when I got him into hunting.
That was 3 years ago and it worked ok enough to get him a spike. This past summer though, I picked up a pig saddle and slik tripod and it was a complete game changer. When we set up to glass, hunt a field or whatever really, he can anchor the rifle and we're both a bit more confident in the rest.
You can get some serious stability off of that thing. If I'm planning on shooting past 200 yards, I detach the rear end of my sling and wrap it around the tripod and clip it to my belt. I can adjust tension at will.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I use an old camera tripod that I made an cradle on top.
It's light and very steady and can be adjusted from 18" to 60" in seconds.
It was aluminum so I spray painted matte camo color.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
For my BIL, I got a Caldwell field pod or some derivative version of the same brand. $80 from academy.

It is like a camera tripod with a cradle on top. Worked great, helped him get his fist deer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use an old camera tripod that I made an cradle on top.
It's light and very steady and can be adjusted from 18" to 60" in seconds.
It was aluminum so I spray painted matte camo color.
View Quote
I did the same.  Found a slightly broken camera tripod at a flea market marked for $10, and haggled them down to $5.  A 6 inch long scrap of 2x4, a pair of wood screws, and a cheap canvas bag with a pair of tie down strings made of 440 cord, loosely filled with corn cob polishing media...  Not more than $12 and 20 minutes worth of work into the thing, and it works just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top