Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2020 2:45:45 AM EDT
Replacement suggestions [Fenix brand only] for Fenix PD25 and rechg battery recommendation, please.

Replacement -Fenix only- needs to be same fit and function.

I use a Tygon tubing adapter to hold the flashlight in my teeth, and use it frequently everyday [head lamp will not work for my ap]. Hours already today doing electrical, etc., work on a new residence.

So the recommended Fenix needs to be very similar to the PD25. That is and has been wonderful!

I normally have 75 or more CR123's of quality brand on hand at locations, but with the Flu issue, thinking I need rechargables since I'm very dependent on use of this particular flashlight.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Replacement suggestions [Fenix brand only] for Fenix PD25 and rechg battery recommendation, please.

Replacement -Fenix only- needs to be same fit and function.

I use a Tygon tubing adapter to hold the flashlight in my teeth, and use it frequently everyday [head lamp will not work for my ap]. Hours already today doing electrical, etc., work on a new residence.

So the recommended Fenix needs to be very similar to the PD25. That is and has been wonderful!

I normally have 75 or more CR123's of quality brand on hand at locations, but with the Flu issue, thinking I need rechargables since I'm very dependent on use of this particular flashlight.
View Quote
I don't think I understand your question.  Why not just get another PD25?  
https://www.amazon.com/EdisonBright-PD25-Tactical-Flashlight-Holster/dp/B00PGWAL42/ref=asc_df_B00PGWAL42/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418591311&psc=1
I've always had good luck with Orbtronic.
https://www.orbtronic.com/cr123a-16340-rechargeable-lithium-ion-700mah-orbtronic-battery
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It's unfortunate a headlamp wont work for you.  The Fenxi Fenix HL60R is an amazing workhorse.  I use the hell out of them - they let me work outside in dark as if its noon.

That said, this model from Fenix can be strapped to a head band or hand-held.  I'm guessing from your post that your lighting needs are in the near field, so throw and max lumens aren't a big deal and something this size might fit your need.

Amazon Product
  • LONG LASTING BRIGHT LIGHTING - With built-in CREE XM-L2 U2 LED, the HM50R produces a brilliant 500 Lumens over 87 yards away, & can last you up to 148 hours on a single charge!
  • EASY 1-HANDED OPERATION - A single conveniently located side switch allows for simple on/off functionality, as well as toggling through it's four brightness modes with ease.
  • USB RECHARGEABLE - The HM50R has an integrated micro-USB charge port built into the oppose side of the switch & protected by a screw-top cap, allowing for convenient charging. One short click of the 'Side Switch' button while the light is off will also alert you to the batteries remaining charge.

I also HIGHLY recommend a magnetic charger like this:

Amazon Product
  • 360° ROTATION & LED LIGHT DESIGN help you charge your phone easily even in the darkness. It best choice for drivers, vision impaired, elders and handicapped persons.
  • UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: For all most Charging equipment. Equipped with 3 different types of magnetic tips which is Micro USB & Type C & i-Product. You can switch the magnetic tips to charge your different devices
  • INTERFACE DUST-PROOF: Inserting the magnetic tip at the charging interface of the phone can prevent dust from sticking.

The little button adapter fits snugly in the USB port - I've never had one come out.  Recharging is effortless, vs fumbling with the rubber port door and USB orientation... the magnetic just leaps to make the connection.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a PD35 and use 16340/RCR123A or 18650 cells, they work great and you can charge them easily using various USB-connected "universal" battery charging docks on the cheap. I use recovered 18650s from "dead" laptop batteries in my PD35 and they run great, and I've also had good results from "EBL"-brand 16340s, while "Eastshine" did not work well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the PD20 version of the Fenix with the tail cap clicker.  I have 4 of them that I use almost daily.  I see the PD25 has it too, I bet I have a couple of them.

I like the rechargeable stingers, but the Fenix serves a purpose in that you don't need equipment to charge it, and if you are in the shit, swapping batteries keeps you in the shit.

Headlamps serve a more specific purpose and you should have both.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a PD35 and use 16340/RCR123A or 18650 cells, they work great and you can charge them easily using various USB-connected "universal" battery charging docks on the cheap. I use recovered 18650s from "dead" laptop batteries in my PD35 and they run great, and I've also had good results from "EBL"-brand 16340s, while "Eastshine" did not work well.
View Quote
You need to learn the difference between the 3.7v 16340 li-ion cell and the 3.2v RCR123 cell, as they’re entirely different and choosing the wrong one will most probably kill a light.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You need to learn the difference between the 3.7v 16340 li-ion cell and the 3.2v RCR123 cell, as they’re entirely different and choosing the wrong one will most probably kill a light.

Chris
View Quote
I know the difference just fine, and the PD35 mindeth not. You need to learn how voltage curves and circuit tolerances work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Already have a few and they are too heavy to hold in my teeth with the 'special' Tygon holder.

Great lights!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Expy, have you thought about the Fenix RC05?  I have a half dozen or so CR123 sized lights, but find them too stubby for my pockets.  I've fallen in love with the RC05.  It's based on a AA, single battery, uses the 14500 rechargeable battery, and lower voltage AA sized batteries.  I really like the smaller size and it still has excellent output and performance.

Anything larger, I pretty prefer just going to an 18650 light (preference has been Olight)...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey Expy, have you thought about the Fenix RC05?  I have a half dozen or so CR123 sized lights, but find them too stubby for my pockets.  I've fallen in love with the RC05.  It's based on a AA, single battery, uses the 14500 rechargeable battery, and lower voltage AA sized batteries.  I really like the smaller size and it still has excellent output and performance.

Anything larger, I pretty prefer just going to an 18650 light (preference has been Olight)...

ROCK6
View Quote
Just looked at it...

Nice for some aps. My ap requires higher lumens and the ability to use with CR123's.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Fenix_PD25_Brief_report___/17-686322/
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use the PD20 version of the Fenix with the tail cap clicker.  I have 4 of them that I use almost daily.  I see the PD25 has it too, I bet I have a couple of them.

I like the rechargeable stingers, but the Fenix serves a purpose in that you don't need equipment to charge it, and if you are in the shit, swapping batteries keeps you in the shit.

Headlamps serve a more specific purpose and you should have both.
View Quote
We do... I rarely if ever use the HL.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know the difference just fine, and the PD35 mindeth not. You need to learn how voltage curves and circuit tolerances work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris
I know all of that stuff and my comment still stands true, but you keep doing you.

It’s certainly bad advice for others who aren’t as ‘bright’ as you.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know all of that stuff and my comment still stands true, but you keep doing you.

It’s certainly bad advice for others who aren’t as ‘bright’ as you.

Chris
View Quote
It is not bad advice to recommend using batteries advertised by the manufacturer as working and with which the light comes bundled. Not sure why you're desperate to try flexing, but next time read the product literature first.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just looked at it...

Nice for some aps. My ap requires higher lumens and the ability to use with CR123's.
View Quote
Well, I know you want to stay Fenix, but I've found I much prefer Olight to some of the Fenix CR123/18650 lights; just slightly better QA/QC and I feel they are slightly more rugged designs.  Have you looked at the:

SR1 Baton II?

Once you start using lithium ion rechargeable batteries (the 16340 here), it's hard to go back to CR123's.  It's still nice to have some regular lithium batteries as backup, but I've found I would just rotate a few Li-Ion's and keep a spare or two with me.  The Baton series is the same barrel diameter, so it should work with your mouth piece.  Also, the pocket clip for Olights allows to deep-pocket carry if you prefer.

A few nice features are the rear magnet/recharger.  You can position it on any metal surface for a very secure lighting angle if it works (think vertical stand up or hanging lantern or horizontally inside a the engine compartment of a truck).

I still buy a few dozen CR123's and rotate them on my WML, but I'm moving more and more towards Lithium Ion batteries simply due to performance, cost-efficiency, and longevity.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top