Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2022 9:48:50 PM EDT
My wife found one of my old North Face soft shells and wanted it. I told her she could have it but it was fading from black to a dark grey/greenish color so I told her I would RIT synthetic dye it black so it's less faded looking, it's in good condition otherwise. Any water resistance it once had from the factory was gone probably 10 years ago.

I know it's never going to be "waterproof" and probably not as water resistant as it was new, but what's the best fabric treatment you guys have found to get a light rain to bead off it instead of soak through?

ETA- similar to this

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Nikwax or Scotch guard spray on water proofing. Nikwax also has a formula for doing it in the washing machine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried that Nikwax stuff prior to a weeklong canoe trip.  I give it a C+.  Not great.  Not horrible.  Nowhere near as good as when my jacket was new.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Nikwax but you have to follow the prep instructions (cleaning) and don't expect it to be like original.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Used the spray stuff Scotch Guard on my wife's jacket after the rain proofing wore off.  Worked.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to attempt to use this combo.

hopefully it adds a little bit of the water resistance back to the jacket. Dyeing it last night definitely improved its appearance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I did the Nikwax washing machine stuff today, the jacket is unbelievably soft now, I flicked some water onto the surface and it is beading up nicely, I guess we won't know until it rains for real.

But I'm satisfied so far with how it came out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top