Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2022 11:52:57 PM EDT
I keep a lot of food in my freezer and need some way to remotely monitor the temperature.  Because of cost I've just about ruled out wifi based systems, so I'm wondering what might be some of the most reliable brands of wireless or bluetooth monitor systems.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Install a thermometer in the freezer, with a bulb and capillary tube if you are  not confident of drilling to install a standard thermometer, and place a wifi camera with a view of the thermometer. My coworker uses his wifi cameras to check on his elderly mother while at work, as long as his internet is connected he can see her. The downside is this will be completely manual no alarms to alert when the temp rises.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I am using the Yolink system.  $52 when I bought the hub and 2 sensor combo I linked below.  The hub connects to your internet via LAN or WiFi and the sensors (up to 300) connect to the hub.  The app is very easy to use with a lot of control over alarms.  It is free to monitor in real time as well as receive alerts as long as you do so through the app.  Email and text are subscription based.  I really like the ability to trend the temperature and humidity data as well as export it.  They have several different sensors for water, water shut offs, motion, vibration, contact, etc.  Pretty well thought out variety and they each have a 1/4 mile range.  So far I'm a fan.

Yolink Hub and 2 Temp/Humidity Sensor Package
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
wireless hygrometer
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#5]
SensorPush with the WiFi gateway for remote monitoring.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're in BT range, one of those indoor/outdoor sensors could work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you clarify "remote" for us? That means different things to different people.

I have a freezer monitor system that has a wireless hub that can be up to about 75 ft away. It shows current temp, highest recorded temp, and alerts if the temp exceeds a preset value. It cost around $20 when I bought it 10 years ago. But it doesn't have app/internet connected monitoring.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From this link:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/I-hope-you-are-paying-attention-to-food-prices-EDIT-Let-s-help-each-other-find-beef-and-etc-/5-2489940/?page=68#i99534986
Apparently there is a system from a company called Yolink.  Allows for remote monitoring over the internet.
View Quote

Quoted:
I am using the Yolink system.  $52 when I bought the hub and 2 sensor combo I linked below.  The hub connects to your internet via LAN or WiFi and the sensors (up to 300) connect to the hub.  The app is very easy to use with a lot of control over alarms.  It is free to monitor in real time as well as receive alerts as long as you do so through the app.  Email and text are subscription based.  I really like the ability to trend the temperature and humidity data as well as export it.  They have several different sensors for water, water shut offs, motion, vibration, contact, etc.  Pretty well thought out variety and they each have a 1/4 mile range.  So far I'm a fan.

View Quote

I installed YoLink temp sensors for my fridge and freezers and water leak sensors under sinks, water heater, and laundry room about 2 months ago, so far so good. I think the app is capable of notifications (degoogled phone here, so notifications don't work for me), it'll email when it goes into alarm though, and you can set it up for text message alerts as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you clarify "remote" for us? That means different things to different people.

I have a freezer monitor system that has a wireless hub that can be up to about 75 ft away. It shows current temp, highest recorded temp, and alerts if the temp exceeds a preset value. It cost around $20 when I bought it 10 years ago. But it doesn't have app/internet connected monitoring.
View Quote

By "remote" I meant "away from home, outside my LAN".  For me this would be going into my LAN with the tunnel VPN I have set up, or just an email push notification would work.  The YoLink system looks like it would pretty good at keeping up with the temps.

I could really get by with with just a wireless system that would give me temps and alarms.  I looking at 2 refrigerators (with freezers) and 1 upright freezer so to do everything I'll need 5 sensors.  

I appreciate all the input.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

By "remote" I meant "away from home, outside my LAN".  For me this would be going into my LAN with the tunnel VPN I have set up, or just an email push notification would work.  The YoLink system looks like it would pretty good at keeping up with the temps.

I could really get by with with just a wireless system that would give me temps and alarms.  I looking at 2 refrigerators (with freezers) and 1 upright freezer so to do everything I'll need 5 sensors.  

View Quote

The Yolink temperature/hub kit I linked would give you two sensors and a hub.  Additional temp sensors are $25 each.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also use the YoLink at home and remote location and couldn’t be happier.  They make many other products including smart plugs, water sensors and water valve controls which work great for controlling remote gravity fed drip lines keeping far off fruits and veggies happy. You can name each appliance and have two hubs obviously. Everything is done through a very to use app. This day and age there isn’t any excuse not to use smart home controls.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I looked at the YoLink info and watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looks like it would meet my needs.  

Help me out with how the notifications work.  It appears the phone app notifies you immediately of alarms.  Can it be set up for email and text notifications as well?  Is there a charge for any of these services?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#13]
If you use the app, notifications are immediate according to how you set them up.  There is no charge.  I believe there is a monthly fee for text and email notifications.  You can set the high and low range to be notified outside of either end.  Each sensor also has a chart for temp and humidity and the data is exportable.  You can also set the alarms to only be active at certain times.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I looked at the YoLink info and watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looks like it would meet my needs.  

Help me out with how the notifications work.  It appears the phone app notifies you immediately of alarms.  Can it be set up for email and text notifications as well?  Is there a charge for any of these services?
View Quote

Here's the notification breakdown from the app, I haven't gone over any of the allotment of "free" notifications yet. Looks like last month I received 18 text messages, and 24 emails, mostly due to children standing in front of the fridge with the door open.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This looks good.  Just placed an order for it.  Thanks for all the comments and info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using the YoLink for about a year now and it's been very reliable. Gives me great piece of mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top