Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2019 3:48:50 PM EDT
I'm off to visit a friend in Texas.  It's spring and time to hunt hogs.  My friend is recommending bring an AR-15 in 0.223 and the Remington Hog Hammer 62 grains 0.223 ammo.

I've had a great deal of luck hunting pigs/hogs in my SC/GA/FL with 300 AAC blackout (125 grain Speer TNT)  I like the heavier bullet and for me it's produce a good many one shot kills where the pig/hog just falls to the ground and kicks his legs for a few minutes.  I've never had a problem with the 300 blackout round not penetrating effectively.

I've not had the same success with the 0.223 round.  The same shot placement has resulted into having to chase a pig/hog to deliver a follow-up shot.  I understand that some pigs are tougher than others.  My point of aim is directly behind the pig's ear.

Is there something different hunting pigs/hogs in Texas?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're comfortable with the TNT, and have proven results with it, go with it.

Plenty use 223. Plenty use 300BO, and others. Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Take BOTH
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
YMMV

Modern Masterpiece or Mediocre? .300 AAC Modern Arms 125gr Speer TNT

If im trying to take hogs with 5.56/223, it’s gonna be the 75-77 gr variety
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Qli84MQ9Q

View Quote
Interesting info.  It would appear that the youtuber was using a 8" barrel.  I wonder if that is reason for differences in velocity.  My handloads generate more velocity.  I also not seen any over penetration issues with pigs/hogs/deer.  I also had zero problems with the TNT bullet expanding and separating into multiple pieces.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Interesting info.  It would appear that the youtuber was using a 8" barrel.  I wonder if that is reason for differences in velocity.  My handloads generate more velocity.  I also not seen any over penetration issues with pigs/hogs/deer.  I also had zero problems with the TNT bullet expanding and separating into multiple pieces.
View Quote
What barrel length are you using and what's you load?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What barrel length are you using and what's you load?
View Quote
I'm using a full 16" barrel and this is my load:

Speer 125 grain TNT
19.5 grains of H110
OAL Length of 2.10"

I'm also doing all the case prep including neck turning and a very light crimp.  I'm also doing a full length case resize and trim to 1.363".

I'm seeing ~2200 fps from the chrono I have.  Speer is recommending running this bullet at ~2000 fps to assure proper expansion of this bullet.  The youtuber was only getting ~1900 fps.  There are reports from 300 BO users running at sub-2k fps that this round has problem expanding.  I believe the barrel length and pushing the round above 2k fps is the reason I'm seeing better results.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The difference in barrel length probably dictates the difference in velocity and expansion. If you’re around 2200, I’d say you’re ok.

Serious question, does “overpenetration” really matter in hunting applications? Personally I don’t think it does, so I would ignore that part of the discussion.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The difference in barrel length probably dictates the difference in velocity and expansion. If you're around 2200, I'd say you're ok.

Serious question, does "overpenetration" really matter in hunting applications? Personally I don't think it does, so I would ignore that part of the discussion.
View Quote
Yes and no, depends on who you talk to

Some prefer the bullet to stay in the animal, 'dumping' all of the energy.  Others prefer pass through ("over-penetration") as generally an exit wound produces a better blood trail.  Passing through also tells you it didn't get stopped/deflected by bone, or at least not completely.

On smaller, more fragile animals, a bullet that quickly expands will likely do so closer to the vitals.  A bullet that doesn't expand for 6-8"+ may be in the animal far enough before the expansion can really do its job.  That's why for small varmint, 'exploding' bullets are preferred because they literally act like a grenade on impact.  Some of the tougher bullets are designed to punch a bit before expanding, capable of moving into tougher hides, break bone, etc
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Some prefer the bullet to stay in the animal, 'dumping' all of the energy.  Others prefer pass through ("over-penetration") as generally an exit wound produces a better blood trail.  Passing through also tells you it didn't get stopped/deflected by bone, or at least not completely.

On smaller, more fragile animals, a bullet that quickly expands will likely do so closer to the vitals.  A bullet that doesn't expand for 6-8"+ may be in the animal far enough before the expansion can really do its job.  That's why for small varmint, 'exploding' bullets are preferred because they literally act like a grenade on impact.  Some of the tougher bullets are designed to punch a bit before expanding, capable of moving into tougher hides, break bone, etc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The difference in barrel length probably dictates the difference in velocity and expansion. If you're around 2200, I'd say you're ok.

Serious question, does "overpenetration" really matter in hunting applications? Personally I don't think it does, so I would ignore that part of the discussion.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Reviving this thread a bit to add that I think the video got it exactly right. This is a great round for volume shooting and stocking up for SHTF, an OK round for HD and hunting, and as stated above, a good round for longer barrels.

I also get 1900+ FPS out of my BA 8” barrels. I really like the TNT because the bullet can be had for 15c, only a few cents more than I can get 147 FMJ. Switching between 110 and 125 is easier than 110 and 147 as the drop difference is minimal.

I am planning on using this round and my 8” for some wild hogs so we’ll see how it does. I’ll have no issue throwing together a 16” if the 8” doesn’t do so well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reviving this thread a bit to add that I think the video got it exactly right. This is a great round for volume shooting and stocking up for SHTF, an OK round for HD and hunting, and as stated above, a good round for longer barrels.

I also get 1900+ FPS out of my BA 8” barrels. I really like the TNT because the bullet can be had for 15c, only a few cents more than I can get 147 FMJ. Switching between 110 and 125 is easier than 110 and 147 as the drop difference is minimal.

I am planning on using this round and my 8” for some wild hogs so we’ll see how it does. I’ll have no issue throwing together a 16” if the 8” doesn’t do so well.
View Quote
I recently watched more videos and came to agree. Add in the fact that they’re on sale at Midway and there is an ongoing rebate... I bought a 500 pack ($0.115/ea)

I’ve only got a 12.5” barrel, but it will mostly be used as a blasting round. I’ll take some to shoot at hogs though and see how well it works.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Qli84MQ9Q

View Quote
When you hit them in the feet I too would want higher grain ammo...

@Tmm1270

Kidding.  We'll get time out in CT TX soon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing better than lilmac25 call out .....
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing better than lilmac25 call out .....
View Quote
I hope Melvin farts and you walk into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top