Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2018 5:04:12 PM EDT
I've put off going to the dentist to have one of my wisdom teeth removed, this that or the other reason excuse.

Well, a smallish chunk of that very tooth broke off yesterday, and they happened to have an appointment open up for me today to get it checked out.

I actually haven't been to a dentist in about 2 years. At that last appointment, There was a major cavity in said wisdom tooth, and a few other "minor" cavities forming on various other teeth. Dentist at the time said that the one wisdom tooth should go, others should go "just because", and there is a chance that if I brush and floss very well, the minor cavities may be halted before they break through the enamel.

Since that appointment, we had switched our diet to cut out sugar. Not 100% no sugar, but only the sweet treat here and there. Have also *tried* to do a better job flossing. I drink maybe 12 cans of pop per year (mostly at holidays with company, or as a treat here and there). That helps a lot too.

So after today's visit, while I HAVE been putting off getting that tooth removed (which could turn into a bad infection post SHTF), all the minor cavities were gone, and other than the tooth that needs to be pulled, the only other tooth issue is I have a filling coming loose that needs to be replaced.

So,
Remember to get that dental work done! Not a great way to do that post SHTF.
Diet and brushing really DOES help with your dental health.

No, I don't use fluoride. Not in my toothpaste, not in my mouthwash, not in my water, no treatments at the dentist. Haven't touched the stuff in almost 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I love how post SHTF factors into your decision making.

I hate the dentist too, but mostly cause novocaine doesn't do shit to me - whatever it takes man! Glad you got it fixed!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate the dentist too, but mostly cause novocaine doesn't do shit to me - whatever it takes man! Glad you got it fixed!
View Quote
Not fixed yet I'm afraid! Soonest they could get me in for the actual work was in April .

Novocaine lasts about 5 minutes on me, so they always have to have a nurse doing basically nothing but shooting me with a needle constantly. Its going to be fun .
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
When I was a kid...I'm 60 YO now... whatever they used as an anesthetic didn't work well (nada) on me. A bit later in life, when I realized that dentistry really wasn't supposed to hurt that much, I told the dentist about the issue. He used some sort of stuff that didn't have as much epinephrine in it (Carbocaine?) and it worked great. I don't know what they use these days...but it also works on me. So I second the OP...get your toofs taken care of...but make 100% sure you let the dentist know about the anesthetic issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking the last few days about starting a thread on this very subject.

Having moved to a new location I needed to find a new dentist.  I do regular 6 month cleanings and thought I was in decent shape.  Just a mouthfull of crowns and fillings from earlier years of hit or miss care.

Go to the new guy and get the whole nine yards, cleaning, x-ray, and exam.  Well I found out that I have numerous problems, and to tell the truth I was feeling some discomfort at times.  We tend to chalk things up to advancing age, right when we need to start taking better care of ourselves.

So, I'm in some pain, minus two teeth and on my way to the poorhouse, but I am going to be in better shape for any period of uncertainty ahead.  Funny how we will fuss and nitpick over our cars or rifles, and let our own health go to pot.

Just a reminder, dental issues can promote heart disease, too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When I was a kid...I'm 60 YO now... whatever they used as an anesthetic didn't work well (nada) on me. A bit later in life, when I realized that dentistry really wasn't supposed to hurt that much, I told the dentist about the issue. He used some sort of stuff that didn't have as much epinephrine in it (Carbocaine?) and it worked great. I don't know what they use these days...but it also works on me. So I second the OP...get your toofs taken care of...but make 100% sure you let the dentist know about the anesthetic issue.
View Quote
My dentist told me a few years back that they had only recently discovered that Ph levels at the injection site was having an effect on the ability of the anasthetic they were usingto be effective. I’m willing to be that most people who go to the dentist to so when there is a problem, and a Problem usually means infection. Ph levels have to be off in an infected site...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#6]
of course if you had used fluoride, none of this would have happened.   :)

Seriously,  putting it off just makes it more extensive, and more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seriously,  putting it off just makes it more extensive, and more expensive.
View Quote
Truth
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My dentist told me a few years back that they had only recently discovered that Ph levels at the injection site was having an effect on the ability of the anasthetic they were usingto be effective. I’m willing to be that most people who go to the dentist to so when there is a problem, and a Problem usually means infection. Ph levels have to be off in an infected site...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Infection screws with the chemistry but only if you are injecting into the area with the infection.    Most of the time it's just a nerve that's hard to find, especially if it's a lower tooth.  There are some good alternatives to lidocaine if that isn't working.

Prevention is the best medicine.  Brush, floss, lay off the sugar and don't get hit in the face with a brick.    S
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I like going to the dentist

as a kid, my dentist had super hot hygienists and used nitrous for kids.

13 yo boy, breathing nitrous while buxom women bent over you.

a little slice of heaven

Not
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
When I had knee surgery at 16 (thanks football), I came to in recovery. Nurse came over, took the breathing tube out, and asked me how I felt.

I promptly projectile vomited all over her.

I felt bad, especially because she was very good looking
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I put off dentist for years. Give or take 15+ years. I went to one for a cleaning, and he pointed out a bunch of "Problems" that were occurring. The only problem with this guy was the price. I went to another guy who was a family friend and took care of me. Well, he saved 3 teeth, that were chalked up as potential root canals, pulled a decayed partially exposed wisdom tooth and various other fillings. I had one tooth left, that he kept telling me over a years time, that I should come in a get filled. Well about 18 months later, that tooth turned ultra sensitive, then down right painful. That turned into a root canal, and crown. Tip of the day, if you trust your dentist, and he says to do it, then do it, because you will pay for it one way or another.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Good points all.  Couple of things I've learned regarding dental work:

1) If you don't respond well to local anesthetic (novocaine, etc), the problem may be that your dentist is not using the best technique to infiltrate the nerve with the 'caine.  When I changed to a new and more up-to-speed dentist, I stopped having that problem.  He lands the 'caine in there perfectly each time and reapplications are no longer needed for simple procedures.

2) When advanced decay sets in part of the garbage produced is acid, which lowers the tissue pH and reduces the effectiveness of many 'caines.  Get the work done sooner rather than later, and you'll suffer less.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
i dont mind going to the dentist, they give free laughing gas and i get that cranked up and i dont care what they do to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top