Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2021 7:36:08 AM EDT
Recently our farm has been overrun with red squirrels. These are the little guys that like to eat electrical wiring out of tractors(they chewed the main harness out of our newer JD to the tune of $1000 and a neighbor had over $10k of damage to his machines).

We had been using rat bait but not sure on success or if they are just stuffing it places. Would like to go away from that due to our dogs potentially ingesting or squirrel dying and dog finding.

So more looking for trap and bait recommendations. We have tried live traps with peanut butter/nuts/veggies etc but no dice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Feed ‘em some .22
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised you don't have a healthy population of predatory birds.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Tube traps. Most of the online trap vendors will offer them. Bait with shelled corn or birdseed. Be sure to anchor your trap so some larger animal doesn't drag it off to eat the dead squirrel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Feed ‘em some .22
View Quote

Have resorted to 12 gauge. They are fast and much more twitchy than standard issue squirrels.

Usually our dogs get a few on the run too. Not these
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Snap traps. Hot-glue pistachios or almonds to the triggers.

Rat zappers/electronic traps. Some even have wifi to tell you when there's a tree rat in them.

Always wondered about the skull crushers:

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Old school victor rat sized snap traps do great on red squirrels. Put peanut butter on the pan and a half a shelled peanut or birdseed on the peanut butter.

If you need to put them on ledges or beams drill a pilot hole and screw them to it.

Colony traps work but are expensive and kind of a pita.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Lately I've had good success with Koro Rodent traps.  I modified the box enclosure others have used on squirrels for chipmunks.  I have never had one trigger without killing the rodent.  I plan on moving on to  squirrels shortly.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top