Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2019 10:29:21 PM EDT
I've been watching a lot of European driven boar hunts and they're all using bolts with red dot sights.

Has anyone used a setup like that? Missed the magnification of a scope?

Something like this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It would make for quick, close range aiming...
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ordered a crossfire ii im gonna try on a 700 270.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Back from South Africa and it is becoming somewhat of a trend in hunting any plains game for shots up to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back from South Africa and it is becoming somewhat of a trend in hunting any plains game for shots up to 100 yards.
View Quote
Very cool
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#5]
It makes a lot of sense if you're hunting boar up-close in the brush (although I'd prefer an semi-auto in that case).
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
what about a LPVO? or a 3x prism type, they are pretty forgiving for eye relief for fast shots.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what about a LPVO? or a 3x prism type, they are pretty forgiving for eye relief for fast shots.
View Quote
I probably should have gone with a prism since i have slight astigmatism, but we'll see how the red dot goes. I do ok with one on an AR
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I probably should have gone with a prism since i have slight astigmatism, but we'll see how the red dot goes. I do ok with one on an AR
View Quote
I can't speak to the astigmatism issues but in general there is pretty much nothing iron sights do that a red dot doesn't do significantly better. They work well for just about everything except longer ranges.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It would make for quick, close range aiming...
View Quote
On an action that is hard to fire rapidly. They aren't looking for a Texas hog hunt. One will do, and traditional firearms are the more accepted way of doing it there.

This is why some lever action fans are mounting a rail where the rear leaf sight mounts. Red dot field goodness.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]
show is sponsored by aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a dot on my Marlin guidegun for years and it was the tits for woods/thick cover hunting. I hunt in a more open area now so it sports a low power variable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
It all depends where and how you hunt. Opening day sitting no, late week deer drives yes. It’s a good option for a second gun to be grabbed on appropriate days.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
They mount them on bolt actions because they don't have AR10s.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They mount them on bolt actions because they don't have AR10s.
View Quote
Good point. I don't either
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I love 'em. Here's my Ruger GSR with a Burris Fastfire III on top, soon to be upgraded to a Trijicon RM08G.
Using the FF3, it groups right at 1" @ 100yds.

I have also recently acquired a Remington 700 in .223 with a 16.5" threaded barrel that will also get a RM08G.

Here's a CZ 527 Carbine I used to have:

And a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39mm (that I also used to have):

They are extremely handy, keep the gun as light as possible, leave your field of view wide-ass open, and are a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Tagged! I have my granddad's Spanish Mauser sporter; it's got an old Bushnell and see-thru rings on it... probably because the bolt handle was never properly bent. Been considering just sticking a red dot on the front scope base.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Haven't hunted with a bolt action that had a red dot on it, but have taken some deer with my AR, which has a red dot. Worked like a charm!
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#19]

175 yards.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice! That's a heck of a shot at 175

Tell her great job!
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
The deer was in an open field and my granddaughter was in a solid shooting position and using shooting sticks.  The rifle is a Ruger in .243.  The ammo was Winchester factory 100 grain power point.  All it took was one shot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

what I use in the mountains in heavy timber

Rem 7 in 308.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The deer was in an open field and my granddaughter was in a solid shooting position and using shooting sticks.  The rifle is a Ruger in .243.  The ammo was Winchester factory 100 grain power point.  All it took was one shot.
View Quote
For the life of me I can't understand how so many people believe that .243 isn't enough for deer -even at distance. In the South East, it should be plenty for just about everything you'd want to hunt. I've never hunted black bear, but I'd assume a .243 with a good solid or TSX bullet would do the job? I've hunted hogs and deer with .223 and it works great. Never had to do a follow up shot or track.
That cartridge shoots like a laser. Actually, it seems ideal for a red dot. Put dot on target, bang, flop.
Great shot by the grandbaby...I hope mine takes up hunting with me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17185/REM_7-1_JPG-1123843.JPG

what I use in the mountains in heavy timber

Rem 7 in 308.
View Quote
That looks mighty handy! Have you put it on a scale yet?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That looks mighty handy! Have you put it on a scale yet?
View Quote
No, but i need to.  Will see what I can come up with.  It's very light.  I spend a week in the MT mountains hunting every year with it.  Every ounce counts when treking up and down the rockies (for me anyway)

A few ounces for 3 rounds plus the red dot sight is all thats added over the base weight.  The Rem site indicates the base rifle is 6 pounds, but if certianly feels a bit lighter than that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Those all look great!
The kiddo set up looks good. My 9yr old is coming with me this November. I’m trying to figure out which gun for her to use. I might have to rig up a rmr on my old .243!

Speaking of .243, it was my first deer rifle. Tons of deer and boar and 1 black bear before I got into guns and started buying different ones.

Now I use a lot of different calibers. But in reality that .243 was a very good do-it-all bullet.

What with the longer tubed Aimpoint points? Are they magnified? Why not run mini ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I have three patrol rifles with micro dots...
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those all look great!
The kiddo set up looks good. My 9yr old is coming with me this November. I'm trying to figure out which gun for her to use. I might have to rig up a rmr on my old .243!

Speaking of .243, it was my first deer rifle. Tons of deer and boar and 1 black bear before I got into guns and started buying different ones.

Now I use a lot of different calibers. But in reality that .243 was a very good do-it-all bullet.

What with the longer tubed Aimpoint points? Are they magnified? Why not run mini ?
View Quote
I assume that they exist just due to aesthetics; they look more like a traditional scope you would use on a bolt gun.

Same reason I'm kinda sorta considering a 25mm Ultra Dot in 1" rings over a PA or Bushnell on the front scope base.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Under a 100 yds its awesome.  I've been exclusively been using a red dot for the past two years here on the coast of NC but in VA i like magnification.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Kimber 84M w/Aimpoint T2

Bought it specifically for hunting in Europe.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuel for the fire:

Wild Boar Fever Film Fest | WILD BOAR FEVER 9 REDUX
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I can definitely see the advantage of a red dot over a scope in ranges less than 100 yards. I just picked up a Marlin 30-30 and plan to put a red dot on it because of where I'm hunting now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Aimpoint T2 on a QD mount to Talley base, able to swap out to scope in a minute.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is awesome! Congrats to her. Quite the little huntress.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Just finished putting this savage together. 300aac, A2 Fh, EGW base, and a Millett zoom dot. Going to the range to sight it in soon. And I need to pick up some hunting ammo.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m not sure why this isn’t more popular east of the Mississippi? A .30-30 lever or short light bolt like the Ruger American predator with a red dot seems ideal in situations where a shot over 200 yards is near impossible.

Also a great defensive/hunting/shtf combo in ban states as well as youth hunting rifle.

I’ve gone back and forth on putting a dot on my Marlin 336 as they have a rail that mounts to the factory buckhorn sight mount and front receiver mount leaving my skinner peep in place on the rear of the receiver.

The only thing holding me up is I like the traditional iron sight look, the front post is fiber so it’s already a bright orange dot.  If I do it and there’s an orange and red dot on target that’s going to be annoying. Also with the fiber front, rear peep it’s damn quick pointing as is.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I’ve thrown a PA red dot on new-to-me-but-not-new bolt action rifles for their first range trip to quickly verify function.

I use red dits exclusively on several ARs and pistols, so I get how handy they are.  However, for my hunting rifles that are ready for the field, if I want close in options I go with a LPVO.  A good LVPO at 1X with illumination is going to give almost all the benefits of a red dot but also far more versatility with 4X or 6X high end mag.

I guess if I was hunting driven game and was forced by laws to use only a bolt action, then I’d seriously consider a red dot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Aimpoint T2 on a QD mount to Talley base, able to swap out to scope in a minute.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56434/2017_Hunting_JPG-1168750.JPG
View Quote

@VLODPG

That looks great. I'm curious how you did this. Is it simply a version of this https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/two-piece-picatinny-base-for-remington-700/

Plus a low Bobro or Larue T1 mount?

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#40]
When I finally do a JTAC Elf Owl SBR build I'll be putting an RDS on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/56434/2017_Hunting_JPG-1168750.JPG
View Quote

@VLODPG

That looks great. I'm curious how you did this. Is it simply a version of this https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/two-piece-picatinny-base-for-remington-700/

Plus a low Bobro or Larue T1 mount?

View Quote

@wombat25 ,
The bases are Talley QD, the Aimpoint T1/T2 mount is a custom from http://www.brockmansrifles.com/  You have to contact him as it is not listed on the website
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Turkish Mauser that was cut back to a scout rifle, I plan on putting a red dot on it eventually.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll use what I've already got if I set something up for whitetails in the fall, but I'm kinda diggin' this:

My Accidental Scout Rifle
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@wombat25 ,
The bases are Talley QD, the Aimpoint T1/T2 mount is a custom from http://www.brockmansrifles.com/  You have to contact him as it is not listed on the website
View Quote

Thank you!

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For the life of me I can't understand how so many people believe that .243 isn't enough for deer -even at distance. In the South East, it should be plenty for just about everything you'd want to hunt. I've never hunted black bear, but I'd assume a .243 with a good solid or TSX bullet would do the job? I've hunted hogs and deer with .223 and it works great. Never had to do a follow up shot or track.
That cartridge shoots like a laser. Actually, it seems ideal for a red dot. Put dot on target, bang, flop.
Great shot by the grandbaby...I hope mine takes up hunting with me.
View Quote

its not that the .243 isn't enough for deer.
its because there are many other cartridges than can do more in vastly different circumstances and be used for bigger game.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Also a great defensive/hunting/shtf combo in ban states as well as youth hunting rifle.
View Quote

Honestly part of this is why I keep a bolt gun around in the first place.
I can use it in a get out of town situation where a tactical rifle is going to draw eyes.
Or if "they" get their way and ban "assault rifles" the "good ol hunting" rifle is likely to Canada. Yes, I'm looking at you canada.
Make it as handy or "tactical" as you can while keeping it simple, sling, lpvo/rds, 16" barrel... kinda sounds like a jeff Cooper thing huh?
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I put a PA micro red dot on a Savage Axis ii in 300 blackout for my daughter's deer rifle. She's 8 and shoots it good out to 60 yards. I'm keeping her shots inside of that distance. Makes for effortless aiming and can adjust the brightness for conditions. Maybe in a few years I'll try an illuminated LPVO 1-5 and stretch the distance a bit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve watched several of those European hog hunts where the red dot would be mounted onto a one piece base.  They were not a picatini rail, but more elegant as if designed specifically for the optic.  Any idea on who makes them?

ETA:  Something like this…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I’ve watched several of those European hog hunts where the red dot would be mounted onto a one piece base.  They were not a picatini rail, but more elegant as if designed specifically for the optic.  Any idea on who makes them?
View Quote

They used to custom make them for the gun optic combo so it’s possible that’s what you saw. The Germans were big on it and they were works of art.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I just ordered a new Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II 3x Prism Scope for my M1 Garand. My eyesight has made the Iron Sights almost impossible to use, let alone use quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top