Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2018 10:31:05 PM EDT
Been working with 6 and the children for years on the basics for real trauma treatment with pressure dressings, TQ, etc. and basic splinting.  I've been certified through a few agencies to train CPR/first responder and am .mil so I have all kinds of bad habits I'm probably passing on  Children are old enough now to start taking some classes but I don't want to drop them straight into WFR/ETT, I'd really like to start them at zero and let them learn from the ground up so there's less confusion and more solid progression.

So what's a good agency/training progression from CPR first aid to basic trauma treatment now days?

I'm in west central GA if that helps.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
In my AO it's always started with the Red Cross basic courses, and then you work your way up
the chain adding CPR and now AED or a single combo class with all three. Most courses seem to
want that as a prerequisite.

There's certainly doable by kids, I did my ARC first aid class in 7th grade as part of a school sponsored
group.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
CPR->First Aid->WFR->TCCC
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Red Cross CPR/FA is doable by almost anyone and is a good place to start with the basics. Once they’ve got that down and have some practice under their belt WFA and such are a good start. Bleeding Control a self contained class that’s a good bridge between First Aid and TCCC/LEFR-TCC.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The NOLS Wilderness First Aid two day class is a really well thought out curriculum. It's focus is basically, what do you do for first aid when 911 isn't an immediate option or an option at all.

https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder/courses/wilderness-first-aid-WFA/
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Above are all correct, do the Red Cross basic courses first (first aid and CPR)

During the course, get to know your instructor, they are usually really nice folks - ask them how you get into other more advanced classes and could they help you work out the details.

You will be amazed at the courses you can sit in on, and participate in, if you work with them.

After that, I'd consider some of the first responder courses, EMT intro training and outdoor survival medicine courses.

Find out where local EMTs get their training - it's usually a local community college.  Figure out if you can get into some of those courses.  I'd also recommend doing some online study BEFORE these courses.  There are not too many EMT students that walk in with zero training, so you will need to beef up skills beforehand.

Your local REI also can guide you to the outdoor courses - NOLS has some good ones.  Internet is always good for this.

Hope that helps

EDIT: Forgot to mention that some of the NOLS books have great graphics.  One of the things I did after reading each one is to scan and print (and then treat the paper) the key graphics - this essentially allows me to have reminders on all the assessment tools, prioritization, etc... in a very small package.  Nothing substitutes for training and experience though.  And remember, you don't want to have to refer to the graphic to do basic stuff like the ABC's -- your injured colleague may die while you read.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#6]
For trauma, just remember MARCH.

Massive Bleeding
Airway
Respiration
Circulation
Hypothermia

That is the order you need to treat trauma patients.

Another fun thing to remember is that when packing a wound, or trying to stop bleeding manually, push your fingers in to the bone, and towards the heart.  Major arteries and blood vessels tend to be on the “inside”. ie: inside of the arm (closest to the body) and inside of the leg.

There isn’t much else you should be doing without live tissue experience.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont have any training yet.  My wife works for a wilderness medical instructor.  She has recommended that I skip the first aid and take the first responder course as it goes over the same material and then builds on it.  Also in the future the WFA and WFR recert courses are the same or at least held in conjunction with each other.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For trauma, just remember MARCH.

Massive Bleeding
Airway
Respiration
Circulation
Hypothermia

That is the order you need to treat trauma patients.

Another fun thing to remember is that when packing a wound, or trying to stop bleeding manually, push your fingers in to the bone, and towards the heart.  Major arteries and blood vessels tend to be on the “inside”. ie: inside of the arm (closest to the body) and inside of the leg.

There isn’t much else you should be doing without live tissue experience.
View Quote
Did you read the question?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Basic Boy or Girl scout first aid is good.  American Red Cross is fine. Heck, if they're old enough, first responder or EMT or Wilderness EMT is fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Stop the bleed training is free
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The NOLS Wilderness First Aid two day class is a really well thought out curriculum. It's focus is basically, what do you do for first aid when 911 isn't an immediate option or an option at all.

View Quote
I want to do that class, but $265 is a little pricey.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd probably go this route. WFR is pretty intense. WFA is a great course. I need to renew mine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:53:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Red Cross is a pretty good starting place.  I jumped from that to the Dark Angel Medical class this year.  It was good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:59:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need EFR for Padi DM... it's really too simple for a real emergency, "but that is what emt's are for"

a better class would be a wilderness first aid course, if you can find 'em.
View Quote
Dive medicine has some differences from day to day first aid, especially with treatment as sometimes the best treatment practices (administer O2) might not be legal in your state unless you are a provider of some sort. Take the PADI EFR (might be biased as I’m an instructor).
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top