Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2021 2:38:17 PM EDT
I'm not usually about the looks, but I don't think a SSB5 is going to look right on the other side of my CUCV. Does anybody make a larger 2M/70CM whip?

Also, do I need a spring under my Wolf River coil? And is it worth putting a tilt bracket on it for horizontal deployment for NVIS?

TIA

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I found a trainer Duke antenna, gutted it and put a Comet dual band no-ground-plane antenna inside.  It works very well as far as I can tell.  SWR is great and reports tell me I sound good.  Not scientific but if it works it works.

Before that I had a COMPACtenna on an antenna riser, which worked well.

Before that I made a "military looking" antenna as shown in the photos.  It also worked well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an sbb5 on a little post that gets it up about 18" high. Mine has the antenna mount at the B pillar.

I'm moving the mil antenna mount back to the taillight and am going to put my 10-80m screwdriver on it. I'm going to use a 102" whip diagonally bent over to the passenger corner of the brush guard for nvis or a short whip for the upper bands. I'll move the sbb5 to a fender mount at that point. Might add a second vhf antenna to the passengers taillight, I really want to have an dedicated antenna for packet radio.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Radio larping?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top