Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2022 12:15:59 AM EDT
I somehow caught a nasty skin infection (they thought MRSA, ended up being strep) I've been battling it since the second weekend of July. Had it cut opened and drained at urgent care, but they change my antibiotics to the wrong one apparently when the sample was grown, and I have to go back last week because it had sealed up and grown back to the same size (size of a nectarine). This time the doctors cut it open and then packed it with packing I have to have changed every other day, and prescribed me 2 antibiotics, which really helps with weight loss. Fun shit, shit I never want to have to deal with again. The nurse recommended I use a antiseptic body wash twice a week. Looking for some recommendations, as I want to try one out, and if I like it, stockpile some in my preps, as I definitely don't want to deal with this when medical care is crappier than it is now, and it's already pretty fucking shitty. The nurse recommended the pink stuff from Hibiclens, but it's expensive as hell. Anyone know anything about this crap? Because I don't.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Chlorhexidine

ETA - I usually use this on my animals but there's no reason it can't work on humans I guess. I never really used it though. I get it on me often. It burns if it gets in your eyes

Remember to read the directions because most of the bottles needs diluted. And don't get it on any mucous membranes like your privates cuz it'll burn there too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#2]
HibaclensHibaclensAttachment Attached File

ETA: The active ingredient in Hibiclens is 4% chlorhexidine gluconate.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Bleach bath for strept/staph colonization
40 gal or so tub water with 1/2 cup unscented bleach.
Soak and bathe as usual with soap
Rinse with shower afterwards if you want to decrease chlorine scent
Repeat 3 times/week for 2 weeks then monthly
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HibaclensHibaclenshttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486238/C2FB32FB-FC38-475E-BF03-08399526B5E6_jpe-2472503.JPG

ETA: The active ingredient in Hibiclens is 4% chlorhexidine gluconate.
View Quote

This or checkout Defense bar soap.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Hibaclens, followed by grain ethanol, then iodine for nasty stuff.

I'm not a big fan of isopropyl alchohol.

-P
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
4% Hibiclens/chlorhexidine gluconate is good stuff.

Bleach bath or povidine iodine is a bit more old school, but still works.

All of them will pretty instantly let you know if you have any open cuts/sores you weren't aware of. Be *real* careful not to get it in your eyes.

Chlorhexidine is what we use in the hospital for most things. 4% chlorhexidine is 4% chlorhexidine, regardless of if it's meant for human or veterinary use.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top