Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2020 12:42:35 AM EDT
Looking for a decent canadian goose call and mallard call.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
JJ Lares, on line.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman is great. The wood version is best, but the more affordable Express works great too. Less echo from the wood calls on days with little wind.

I like his Big Water Express duck call too. You can get volume for big water but tone it down too.

If all you hunt is timber or tight creeks you’d want a different call, but to KISS I learned to make the Big Water work in tight quarters.

I hunt in the MD and VA area, primarily on MD’s Eastern Shore, where Sean Mann is from.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPK:
Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman is great. The wood version is best, but the more affordable Express works great too. Less echo from the wood calls on days with little wind.

I like his Big Water Express duck call too. You can get volume for big water but tone it down too.

If all you hunt is timber or tight creeks you’d want a different call, but to KISS I learned to make the Big Water work in tight quarters.

I hunt in the MD and VA area, primarily on MD’s Eastern Shore, where Sean Mann is from.
View Quote

Eastern shoreman is a hell of a call.  Takes a good bit of air, but cant beat the tone.  My uncle has one of the first 50 from him.  

My family lives on the eastern shore, shooting you a PM sir.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]

If all you hunt is timber or tight creeks you'd want a different call, but to KISS I learned to make the Big Water work in tight quarters.

I hunt in the MD and VA area, primarily on MD's Eastern Shore, where Sean Mann is from.
View Quote
Hunt tundra lakes and rivers.
Most of the time the birds are on the tundra eating berries or on the lakes/ponds eating.
Not much timber.
It is mostly brush and open.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Hunt tundra lakes and rivers.
Most of the time the birds are on the tundra eating berries or on the lakes/ponds eating.
Not much timber.
It is mostly brush and open.
View Quote

Guessing you see more smaller goose subspecies rather than greaters/interiors/giants?

There's a bazillion call manufacturers out there these days, and honestly, most every call does the same thing.  If you've got some experience calling on a short reed, I'd go with a DRC Short Drop, Saunders Traffic, Grounds Real Thang, Zink NBN, Molt Gear EX3 X, or any other model of mid to short insert calls to get those higher pitch tones and speed you want for the smaller size birds.  Not to say big sound from a deeper tuned call won't kill birds, but high pitch flat out kills birds from 12 pound greaters to 2 pound hutchies.  If you don't want to spend money on an acrylic, many companies have wood or delrin versions of their popular models at a reduced cost.  Some of the delrin calls actually sound as good or better as their acrylic counterparts (Molt Gear EX Rush for example).

For ducks; Cant go wrong with an RNT short barrel, Elite Cache, anything from JJ Lares, C & S, Hobo, Echo, etc.

Don't get caught up too much in the prices of calls either.  $200 isn't going to instantly make you a stone killer in the marsh.  A good caller can make a $5 call sound great, a bad caller is still going to sound bad on a $155 call.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:

Guessing you see more smaller goose subspecies rather than greaters/interiors/giants?

There's a bazillion call manufacturers out there these days, and honestly, most every call does the same thing.  If you've got some experience calling on a short reed, I'd go with a DRC Short Drop, Saunders Traffic, Grounds Real Thang, Zink NBN, Molt Gear EX3 X, or any other model of mid to short insert calls to get those higher pitch tones and speed you want for the smaller size birds.  Not to say big sound from a deeper tuned call won't kill birds, but high pitch flat out kills birds from 12 pound greaters to 2 pound hutchies.  If you don't want to spend money on an acrylic, many companies have wood or delrin versions of their popular models at a reduced cost.  Some of the delrin calls actually sound as good or better as their acrylic counterparts (Molt Gear EX Rush for example).

For ducks; Cant go wrong with an RNT short barrel, Elite Cache, anything from JJ Lares, C & S, Hobo, Echo, etc.

Don't get caught up too much in the prices of calls either.  $200 isn't going to instantly make you a stone killer in the marsh.  A good caller can make a $5 call sound great, a bad caller is still going to sound bad on a $155 call.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.
We get all the birds here in SW AK.
They get very fat on the berries and other food available. Tough to kill.

I have very little experience in calling.
Times i went out my hunting partners used 12 gauge shells melted to make a call.

I am very tough on things so i do not want to spend too much on calls. Also do not get out enough to justifie a expensive call.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Thanks for the info.
We get all the birds here in SW AK.
They get very fat on the berries and other food available. Tough to kill.

I have very little experience in calling.
Times i went out my hunting partners used 12 gauge shells melted to make a call.

I am very tough on things so i do not want to spend too much on calls. Also do not get out enough to justifie a expensive call.
View Quote

I'd go with a polycarb or wood version from Grounds or Zink then, and get their instructional videos.  Many of zinks' calls come with a good beginner video.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]

If all you hunt is timber or tight creeks you'd want a different call, but to KISS I learned to make the Big Water work in tight quarters.

I hunt in the MD and VA area, primarily on MD's Eastern Shore, where Sean Mann is from.
View Quote

Have the sean mann eastern shoreman express coming pri-mail.
Freaking ups and fedx both wanted $100+ for shipping a single caller to AK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top