Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 1:13:13 PM EDT
So my wife was given the back strap and I'm looking for a recipe for the grill.

Never cooked one so looking for advice on this! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of a deer?

If so, remove any silver skin. Then marinate in olive oil with a bit of Worcestershire sauce for a couple of hours.

Grill over medium/medium high heat to no more than medium rare. Pour marinade over back strap when you flip it.

Slice medallions and serve (or lengths of back strap for the diner to slice themselves.)

I think roasted potatoes or wild rice go well with venison, I like broccoli, but green beans or asparagus work too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
We do stir fry.

Like mentioned cut any silver off, which shouldnt be much.

I marinate in soy sauce over night.

Butter up pan and some extra virgin olive oil and put in veggies for stir fry mix., let that slow cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir on occasion

In mean time, get another pan and fast sere venision (make sure to drain the marinade first), i cook it jus enough to turn outside brown, when done, i put in with veggies and quick stir for a few minutes with heat on low.

Serve and eat...

Ive posted it before in gd, lol
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of a deer?

If so, remove any silver skin. Then marinate in olive oil with a bit of Worcestershire sauce for a couple of hours.

Grill over medium/medium high heat to no more than medium rare. Pour marinade over back strap when you flip it.

Slice medallions and serve (or lengths of back strap for the diner to slice themselves.)

I think roasted potatoes or wild rice go well with venison, I like broccoli, but green beans or asparagus work too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of a deer?

My favorite for venison tenerloin (inner little ones, just right for feeding two)
Season with salt and pepper.

Sear in a stupidly hot pan.  I want a cool red center.

Slice into medallions and serve on top of a salad;
Baby and spring greens
Red onion
Crumbled blue cheese ( good stuff from Danishlandia)
Croutons

Dress the works with olive oil and a reduced balsamic vinegar that is reduced to an almost syrup consistency.   Fresh cracked pepper and some sea salt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Do....not.....over.....cook!

By the way, had heart for the first time yesterday. Very smooth and tender. Medium rare.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Marinating back strap!?

Please don't ruin it like that.  This is the second best cut of meat on the deer and it needs no marinating.  It has it's own good flavor and is already tender.

We're going to dry brine and reverse sear it, searing at the end, and only salt and pepper seasoning to let the meat speak for itself.

Remove all silver skin(this is where a lot of 'game' taste comes from)
Cut into 8" or so hunks.  The bigger the better as we have more meat that's properly cooked...don't do steaks IMO, WAY too easy to overcook.

Dry Brine: Salt the meat about 8 hours before serving with Kosher salt replace in the fridge.

Fresh cracked pepper on the meat just before putting in the oven.

Place in the oven at 250º and cook until the internal temp of about 125ºF.  It will carry over to a perfect medium rare.

Once you're getting close to internal temps, get a cast iron pan on and slowly bring it up to very hot.  Move the strap to the hot pan and sear on all sides.  You can sear it on the grill if you want that flavor, but get it as hot as you can and only sear for short period of time.  We're trying to avoi overcooking the outer layer of meat.  You want to go from seared outside directly to medium rare inside.

Slice against the grain and enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Throw it on the grill with Montreal steak seasoning until medium-rare, you're  welcome
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, as long as you know your grill and know the meat, steaks are not a problems. As said, overcooking is the main problem. I hand-cut steaks, salt & pepper at least 4 hrs before grill time, then grill them until they are just start to firm up. They cook fast... maybe 5 minutes total cook time at 800 degrees on my grill. You want the grill HOT to get the outside perfect but still leave the inside cook to your liking (anything more than medium will be dry, FYI).
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Best I have had was sous vide for about an hour and then thrown on to a hot grill or cast iron pan with salt and pepper for about a minute or less per side. Just to get a little crust. I have done both and think I like the pan better.

Had red deer backstrap for the first time last week. It was incredible.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Throw it on the grill with Montreal steak seasoning until medium-rare, you're  welcome
View Quote
This

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with a cheese head.
Go Bears!
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Like was said do not over cook the meat.

What I like to do is use a good sea salt or a good coarse salt.  I coat it and let it sit for a few hours and then add fresh ground pepper and smoked paprika and then throw it on the grill using mesquite wood.  Good and hot bed of coals and cook until medium rare.  You can serve it like that or you can slice it into 2"-3" medallions and pan sear them in a good hot iron skillet with a large pat of garlic butter.

My wife is not a big fan of wild game but she loves when I cook up the back strap or tenderloins of deer, antelope, or Elk.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Not for the grill, but. Pretty much how we do it. Southern style....fry it up!

Link

After you fry it, make a gravy with the leftover grease and make either some rice or mashed potatoes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]
These are moose steaks(not backstraps but we do the backstraps the same way...) Course salt and Montreal  seasoning and put in a hot cast iron pan...A pat of butter on each one as well as in the pan...Don't over cook it..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link

After you fry it, make a gravy with the leftover grease and make either some rice or mashed potatoes.
View Quote
No.  Just, No.

Chicken fried is for junk steak, not quality meat like back strap.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Echoing the advice to not overcook.  Rare or medium rare only.

I like to marinade mine, but a dry rub works as well.

Sous vide (to 123 Deg F) then sear in cast iron or with a torch

another method is the Alton Brown one (heat cast iron in the oven to 500 deg f, sear meat 30 seconds per side and slide the skillet and meat back into the oven until internal temp reaches 120, pull and rest the meat until it reaches 125, slice and serve)

the sous vide is the most full proof method
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Remove all silver skin.  Slice backstrap into 1/2 inch medallions.   Saute onions in butter.   When onions are about done add backstrap pieces.  Cook minute or 2 per side.  Add Lowry season salt and pepper.   Eat and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I cut them into 1/2" pieces and pound them.
-Flour
-Egg
-Panko breadcrumbs
-Egg again
-Panko again

Fry and serve with mayo on the side.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Cut in 1" cubes

Beat some eggs in a bowl

Mix flour, a little bit of salt, pepper, and a small amount of cayenne (or smoked cayenne) powder.

Tenderize backstrap with a tenderizer (hammer or otherwise...not the salt tenderizer)

Toss it in the eggs, toss it in the four mix, and fry it until its golden brown.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link

View Quote
Close!

The time honored use of backstrap is with biscuits and gravy.

This is definitely the tasty and tender and greatly prized cut.

Fry it up with just a little salt and pepper, its more than excellent as long as the meat is properly cared for.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Remove all silver skin.  Slice backstrap into 1/2 inch medallions.   Saute onions in butter.   When onions are about done add backstrap pieces.  Cook minute or 2 per side.  Add Lowry season salt and pepper.   Eat and enjoy.
View Quote
Minus the lawry's, this is one of my favorites
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Venison is the primary "red meat" in our house. When all the kids still lived at home, it would take almost 5 deer to last from the end of one season to the beginning of the next.

I don't cook, but my wife is a master when it comes to venison. My favorite backstrap/tenderloin method- she pours olive oil in a cast iron skillet, crushes garlic cloves up in the oil, heats the oil very hot and puts the steaks in it, seasoned with a little Montreal Steak Seasoning. It is cooked NO MORE than medium rare and it is to die for. She does elk the same way.

Tenderloin-

Elk backstraps-

God I love that woman!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#22]
If you cook it past medium rare, you should be beaten with a hose.

I like simple for the loins (backstraps). The meat has it's own flavor. Enjoy it not whatever concoction you get advised to marinate it in. Find stuff that compliments, not covers, the flavor of the meat. My wife puts a thin layer of usually peach jelly and some chopped nuts on a deer loin roast then cooks it for about 10-15 mins in the oven. It's usually rare when we eat it. It's awesome.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I like simple for the loins (backstraps). The meat has it's own flavor. Enjoy it not whatever concoction you get advised to marinate it in. Find stuff that compliments, not covers, the flavor of the meat. My wife puts a thin layer of usually peach jelly and some chopped nuts on a deer loin roast then cooks it for about 10-15 mins in the oven. It's usually rare when we eat it. It's awesome.
View Quote
Maybe my sarcasm meter is broke....but if you think peach jelly and chopped nuts 'compliments and doesn't cover' the flavor, you're nuts.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Maybe my sarcasm meter is broke....but if you think peach jelly and chopped nuts 'compliments and doesn't cover' the flavor, you're nuts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@eclark53520 I'm not talking about soaking it in jelly. It's just a very light brushing and a few pecans or almonds for an entire loin roast. Just enough to accent, not cover.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@eclark53520  I'm not talking about soaking it in jelly. It's just a very light brushing and a few pecans or almonds for an entire loin roast. Just enough to accent, not cover.
View Quote
No thanks.

Salt/Pepper and fire.  That's the only thing they need.  No sugar necessary.  Crunch comes from a good sear.  Flavor is already there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Cut the backstrap into ultra thin slices appx. 1/8". Lightly salt. Deep fry in oil and eat them as soon as they are cool enough. No need for side dishes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No thanks.

Salt/Pepper and fire.  That's the only thing they need.  No sugar necessary.  Crunch comes from a good sear.  Flavor is already there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@eclark53520 Try it before running your trap. I'm not talking about soaking it in jelly. It's just a very light brushing and a few pecans or almonds for an entire loin roast. Just enough to accent, not cover.
No thanks.

This is not GD~Ussrangersm
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Snip
View Quote
Way to stay on topic.

Someone's salty.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Way to stay on topic.

Someone's salty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip
Way to stay on topic.

Someone's salty.
Last warning~Ussrangersm ( non drunk cheesehead)
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do....not.....over.....cook!

By the way, had heart for the first time yesterday. Very smooth and tender. Medium rare.
View Quote
This!
I had heart for the first time last season and it was much better than expected.
You can also slit the back strap, insert jalapeños, cheese, and bits of bacon. But if you cook it much past rare it will ruin it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top