Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2023 4:48:06 PM EDT
Saw a cute little 5lb tank while at Scheels and that reminded me I wanted a smaller than 20lb propane tank for trips.

I found this one listed as recertified. Is that good to go?
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Should be fine, ldk bout most states but in Oklahoma they got a little stamp on them that expires and if so the propane shops won't refill them,

Easy fix is take them to the local shops when empty and exchange them for a full tank, place I use is local grocery store that has a cage you put your empty tank in one end, walk to other end put funds in or debit card, door opens and you remove a filled tank, not bad for $17 bucks, lots cheaper than other local stores that charge $25+ for same thing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be fine, ldk bout most states but in Oklahoma they got a little stamp on them that expires and if so the propane shops won't refill them,

Easy fix is take them to the local shops when empty and exchange them for a full tank, place I use is local grocery store that has a cage you put your empty tank in one end, walk to other end put funds in or debit card, door opens and you remove a filled tank, not bad for $17 bucks, lots cheaper than other local stores that charge $25+ for same thing.
View Quote

There aren't any places around me that exchange the little ones. I've stayed away from them for that reason...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Where I live the propane suppliers will fill anything. They don’t care about the dates. Unfortunately not all places are like that. You can get the stickers or stamps you need and put it on your tanks yourself. There are plenty of sites to tell you how and you can purchase the stickers on eBay.

If you are traveling across the nation, it might be better to just carry newer tanks to avoid headaches when you find a fill place that wants to be anal.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one went out and took it to a local place to have "recertified".  She didn't even look at the tank.  Stuck a little foil sticker on it and now I'm good for 5 more years.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The recertified tank is good for another 12 years before it needs to be tested again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... little 5lb tank...
I found this one listed as recertified. Is that good to go?
View Quote

If you're a Costco member, they have a 5 lb tank for $49.99 and free shipping.  With sales tax it might be less than the re-cert tank.  Costco 5 lb propane tank

ETA:  I just checked (saw you were also in TX), it's just over $54 from Costco.   Cas Cylinder Source will come out to $60.

mm
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you're a Costco member, they have a 5 lb tank for $49.99 and free shipping.  With sales tax it might be less than the re-cert tank.  Costco 5 lb propane tank

ETA:  I just checked (saw you were also in TX), it's just over $54 from Costco.   Cas Cylinder Source will come out to $60.

mm
View Quote

I was considering a 10lb and 5lb and they came out to $55 each. I think I've about talked myself out of it though. May just stick with a 20lb tank.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was considering a 10lb and 5lb and they came out to $55 each. I think I've about talked myself out of it though. May just stick with a 20lb tank.
View Quote

I have both 5 lb and 11 lb tanks in addition to 20 lb tanks. I MUCH prefer the 5 and 11 lb tanks for running stoves and small grills when camping. Works much better than 1 lb bottles and yet lighter and more compact than 20 lb tanks. They aren’t “better” than 20 lb tanks but they are much more convenient.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The recertified tank is good for another 12 years before it needs to be tested again.
View Quote

No, if a tank is recertified by proof testing or volumetric expansion methods by a qualified inspector it's good for 10 years. A visual inspection is good for 5 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top