Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2019 10:15:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s]
Had the chance to take a quick 4 days off and spent time at the Lazy CK Ranch.  Phenomenal staff and accommodations.  Ranch is 7000ish acres and if broken up into multiple pastures with 20ish or so species that are free roaming.  It's like a mini safari ride around.  The hunting is either TX blind hunting over a feeder or spot and stalk hunting.  I am not much of a blind hunting fan for anything other than whitetail so I choose to ride around and spot and see how close I could get to a shot.  Initially I was going to hunt for Axis and a Black Hawaiian, but the early May weather was not cooperating.  We had highs in the 50s and rain storms.  This kept most of the game in thick cover and made stalking very tough.

I also had the chance to use the Sig BDX system in the field on this hunt for the first time.  I was very skeptical about using electronics in the filed and even more so a system that requires the Guide to range and the data be sent to the scope real time.  Needless to say, the system worked flawlessly and the results show below.

This is also the first time I've used Hornady SST bullets.  I have mixed feelings about them.  I used 6.5 140gr hand loads in a TC Compass 6.5 Creedmoor.  They do devastating internal damage, but leave no blood trail wound to speak of.  While they worked as expected, they leave tiny holes.

On a side note, this was the first time ever for me to hunt where I had a shot deflection and a wounded animal that I needed to track.  This was 5.5 hrs of fun and was finally ended at a touch before dark.  The most interesting part was having the guide range the animal real time as it moved with a heard away from me and when it finally presented an open shot.  This is where the BDX system showed me what it was best suited for.  I never had to take my head away from the stock and site view to make corrections.  The light was so low I never had to worry about getting on the Blackbuck after getting off the sight picture.  Interesting tech for hunting.

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice trophy's!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
Very nice trophy's!
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this the one near Hunt?

Nice harvest.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Is this the one near Hunt?

Nice harvest.
View Quote
Thanks

Yes, about 40 minutes south of Junction.

Great for Bow hunting as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a nice Blackbuck!

I haven't been that impressed with the SST's either. Made a few kills with 308 and 243 with them, they worked but....
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By clharr:
That's a nice Blackbuck!

I haven't been that impressed with the SST's either. Made a few kills with 308 and 243 with them, they worked but....
View Quote
It’s the ‘but’ part.....maybe it’s because the exit wounds are so small (nonexistent)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top