Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2020 2:03:06 PM EDT
What is the buro?

Thank You very much for the QSO. It was new county for my USA-county 2000.

Can You send me QSL via the buro?

16.05.2020  0208   14   -16  ft8

Stay save

73 Vlad

Also does this mean I have colluded with the Russians?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is the buro?

Thank You very much for the QSO. It was new county for my USA-county 2000.

Can You send me QSL via the buro?

16.05.2020  0208   14   -16  ft8

Stay save

73 Vlad

Also does this mean I have colluded with the Russians?
View Quote

I think I've worked Vlad before on FT8.

I didn't get a subpoena from Mueller
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
QSL Bureau

It's basically a QSL card forwarding service.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
QSL Bureau

It's basically a QSL card forwarding service.
View Quote

O well it says I need to be a ARRL member which I am not. I logged him on QRZ so I guess thats good enough.

The whole QSL card thing has never really interested me much.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you think about cross logging on LOTW?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

O well it says I need to be a ARRL member which I am not. I logged him on QRZ so I guess thats good enough.

View Quote
Yea, these services are for sending physical cards, and helping cut your cost if you had to send a bunch of cards to different countries.  The bureaus basically collect a bunch of cards from different hams in your country, then packs them together to send, for example, a big box of cards going all to Russian hams in one box to a bureau in Russia to cut overall international shipping costs.  That Russian bureau then disperses them to the end recipients via inexpensive in-country mail service.

If you have his address, you can always mail a card direct.  Or as you said, just QSL via web-based means.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a ham, but the physical QSL cards is what is most interesting to me about the hobby.

I wouldn't care as much about a digital entry in an online log.

He specifically requested a physical QSL card. You were his first American contact.

Print up a few QSL Cards and humor the man.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The bureau simply a way for hams to save a few dollars, by sending a bunch of QSL cards to the ARRL for forwarding, rather than sending them individually to the actual hams.

Quoted:
I logged him on QRZ so I guess thats good enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I logged him on QRZ so I guess thats good enough.

I don't think that will  help him, as it needs to be on LoTW, or in the form of a QSL card, for it to count towards his award chase (US counties), which is awarded by the ARRL.

But it does interest him, so go ahead and send him a QSL card, by the regular post office.  It will help him out, and is the final courtesy of a QSO.  He will appreciate your gesture!  It's not easy to work all of the counties in the US.

You can find the current postal rates here.  This is what it would cost him to send you a card.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm amazed the Russians are still sending everything through their bureau.  Years ago it was the ONLY way to get a QSL to someone in Russia but I was sure that had changed over the years.  It also usually took a couple of years to get a QSL exchange through that bureau :(

If you don't have preprinted QSL's get a postcard that shows something local and send it.  BE SURE to include both your and his callsigns, time and date, mode, frequency, etc.  I sent in a card for an award once and it was rejected because it didn't have my callsign on it (even though it had my name and address).
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You were his first American contact.

View Quote

Just to clarify, the OP was not his first American contact.  He is the first person from OP's county that he's contacted, and he wants the QSL card to verify and help qualify for his progress in an award, which sounds like trying to contact 2000 unique counties in the USA.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The bureau simply a way for hams to save a few dollars, by sending a bunch of QSL cards to the ARRL for forwarding, rather than sending them individually to the actual hams.

I don't think that will  help him, as it needs to be on LoTW, or in the form of a QSL card, for it to count towards his award chase (US counties), which is awarded by the ARRL.

But it does interest him, so go ahead and send him a QSL card, by the regular post office.  It will help him out, and is the final courtesy of a QSO.  He will appreciate your gesture!  It's not easy to work all of the counties in the US.

You can find the current postal rates here.
View Quote

I dont even have QSL cards made.

So Im expected to spend the time and money to make cards, then mail cards on my dime just because some Russian I have never met wants one.

Na thats a solid pass for me. I may do one digitally and send it to him.

I do need to look into LoTW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So Im expected to spend the time and money to make cards, then mail cards on my dime just because some Russian I have never met wants one.

View Quote

Yes.  It's part of being a ham, and is considered a courtesy, and proper etiquette.  Not everyone wants them, but when someone does, it's simply nice to send it.  You can print it out for free, and the postage is only about a buck.  

Edit: Looked it up....US international postage is $1.20 to send a letter.  I keep some international "forever stamps" on hand for just such occasions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
QSL card printer:

http://www.radioqth.net/qslcards

View Quote

Thanks will make him one and email it.

Question is what picture?

Gun related?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's more of a courtesy request, not an expectation, except to some who are fanatical award chasers sometimes unfortunately.  

It's important to him because he needs it for your QSO to count toward his award.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
What do yall think about this as my QSL card background?

Attachment Attached File

Or this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Also, he probably sent you a card through the bureau, which is why he requested the same.  It's likely that you have received other cards through the bureau, too.  I'm  not sure how the bureau will handle them, though, since you are not a member. I would have to do some research.   They make keep them for some period of time, or perhaps they return them to the sender.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also, he probably sent you a card through the bureau, which is why he requested the same.  It's likely that you have received other cards through the bureau, too.  I'm  not sure how the bureau will handle them, though, since you are not a member. I would have to do some research.   They make keep them for some period of time, or perhaps they return them to the sender.
View Quote

Well according to that chart you sent its only a $1 from what I understand to mail him a card.

Thing is if I print this off it will not be on card stock.

Also I have had a hard time getting into Russian in the past moved the station from the office to the house and have alot better footprint and lower noise floor now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not a ham, but the physical QSL cards is what is most interesting to me about the hobby.

I wouldn't care as much about a digital entry in an online log.

He specifically requested a physical QSL card. You were his first American contact.

Print up a few QSL Cards and humor the man.
View Quote

I am a ham.

I concur with his statement. Your his first USA contact. You can print them at home.

Big US flag!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Is anyone even reading the OP?

I am not his first US contact. I am one of many he has made as he is on his way to collecting 2000 USA counties.

I am this first from my county.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well according to that chart you sent its only a $1 from what I understand to mail him a card.

Thing is if I print this off it will not be on card stock.

Also I have had a hard time getting into Russian in the past moved the station from the office to the house and have alot better footprint and lower noise floor now.
View Quote

That postage rate chart, is actually what it would cost him to send you a card.  The US postage rate for an international stamp is $1.20 (I just looked it up).

The normal courtesy, is as follows:

1.  If you want someone's card through the regular postal system, then you send them your card, AND enough money to cover his costs (card/envelope/postage).  Usually we just stick a couple of bucks (or whatever covers the cost) in the envelope, and sent it to them.  The slang term for these dollar bills is "green stamps".

OR

2.  You can send him a card through the bureau, and simply wait to get one in return through the bureau, from the other ham.  

So, I suspect he sent you a card through the bureau, and would like you to reciprocate.  Since I'm not sending out thousands of cards per year, I usually just send them through the regular mail, as opposed to the bureau (which can take a long time).  It only costs me a few bucks each year, and I'm happy to help someone out.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
QSL card printer:

View Quote

+1

this is what I used to send out my M1 GARAND QSL cards to ARFCOMMERS a few years ago

OP, be a gentleman and mail him a card

put the AK pic on it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
4 land QSL “buro”

https://www.cdxa.org/w4qsl-bureau/

send them a SASE/$$$ you probably have incoming cards waiting for you

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I have never been an ARRL member, and I still get cards from the buro every few years.

Never gave the buro any money for it, either.

Some cards have taken 15 years after the contact, btw.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I had 100 cards printed at local print shop for a few bucks.  They are easy to design with any of the free services online. Here lately I've caught a few peeps on .52 and sent them cards just because I can. I have a small stack scattered all over and many from ARFhams and Podcast listeners.  It's a cheap easy way to honor the spirit of the hobby.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That postage rate chart, is actually what it would cost him to send you a card.  The US postage rate for an international stamp is $1.20 (I just looked it up).

The normal courtesy, is as follows:

1.  If you want someone's card through the regular postal system, then you send them your card, AND enough money to cover his costs (card/envelope/postage).  Usually we just stick a couple of bucks (or whatever covers the cost) in the envelope, and sent it to them.  The slang term for these dollar bills is "green stamps".

OR

2.  You can send him a card through the bureau, and simply wait to get one in return through the bureau, from the other ham.  

So, I suspect he sent you a card through the bureau, and would like you to reciprocate.  Since I'm not sending out thousands of cards per year, I usually just send them through the regular mail, as opposed to the bureau (which can take a long time).  It only costs me a few bucks each year, and I'm happy to help someone out.

View Quote

This is how I was told it was done. The Buro was something that I have never heard of before unitl I got the email. Im going to ask him for his address and just mail him one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1

this is what I used to send out my M1 GARAND QSL cards to ARFCOMMERS a few years ago

OP, be a gentleman and mail him a card

put the AK pic on it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/533CD640-6E08-4304-9C75-847469FBCD27_jpe-1426615.JPG
View Quote

I went with the AK pic.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#27]
from an ARFCOMMER.....

Attachment Attached File

from the international space station...

Attachment Attached File

from DX while mobile...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is anyone even reading the OP?

I am not his first US contact. I am one of many he has made as he is on his way to collecting 2000 USA counties.

I am this first from my county.
View Quote

Like I said I'm not a ham so not that familiar with the contests, although I do know they exist.

I see now I thought he had simply misspelled the word Country.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
My boss got a card from Owen Garriott  from Spacelab-1, circa 1983. That was kinda cool.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My boss got a card from Owen Garriott  from Spacelab-1, circa 1983. That was kinda cool.
View Quote

Did it come from space lab?

I can see it now old busted up DJ5 on a rocket ship. Lol

That’s pretty neat.

The Russian sent me his mailing address and will drop it in the mail tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
4 land QSL “buro”

https://www.cdxa.org/w4qsl-bureau/

send them a SASE/$$$ you probably have incoming cards waiting for you.
View Quote

This is something to be aware of, anyone who is active on HF should send a couple envelopes to their bureau. Even if you don't send outgoing cards that way, many foreign amateurs will try to send cards. You can even get SWL cards... there are foreign countries that have SWL requirements as part of their licensing schemes, so don't blow them off.

Send a slightly larger size manila envelope with a clasp and plenty of postage, at least 2 or 3 first class stamps. Follow the directions that your bureau provides, but generally you want to make sure that your callsign is clear and prominent.

If you have any former callsigns, send an envelope for those callsigns also.

Keep in mind that the bureaus are volunteer operations who put a lot of work in to handling part of what used to be a treasured ritual of amateur radio, the QSL card.   If you are active on HF and make international contacts, it's almost certain that there are one or more cards sitting at your bureau, which they will keep for some indeterminate amount of time hoping you'll send them an envelope. Eventually they'll have to pitch it but it's a lot easier if you just send them an envelope.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
A perfect example of how amateur radio has changed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A perfect example of how amateur radio has changed.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Lol relax the card has been made and being sent. I will uphold this archaic ritual all is fine. I even printed off more Incase it happens again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#35]
@Swampfoxoutdoors  today you were my first JS8 contact in the universe, you better send me one also!!!!

JK

JLE
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#36]
It's LoTW only if you don't send me a SASE.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@Swampfoxoutdoors  today you were my first JS8 contact in the universe, you better send me one also!!!!

JK

JLE
View Quote

Well my man you will get one!

Truth be told had fun making my QSL card. And made a few extra to keep on hand and actually kept the file save on my PC to print off more.

I need to look into printing them off on card stock.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's LoTW only if you don't send me a SASE.
View Quote

Want me to send you one for DMR contacts?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Want me to send you one for DMR contacts?
View Quote

I am at about 12,000 contacts and would be poor as hell without using LoTW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think I've worked Vlad before on FT8.

I didn't get a subpoena from Mueller
View Quote

I'm still hoping to work Nellie Orr one of these days
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#41]
there was no LoTW when I caught the DX bug.

hell, I was just a a pup who couldn't afford a PC

Yemen, DXpadition

the local govt went to shut them down when they learned that they may have worked some "jews"

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Truth be told had fun making my QSL card. And made a few extra to keep on hand and actually kept the file save on my PC to print off more.

I need to look into printing them off on card stock.
View Quote

I made mine in photoshop and just get them printed as 4x6 photos, then cut to 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 on a paper cutter. Have a fine tip sharpie to write on them. Easy to make a special one for a Field Day or QSO Party or something like that.

I don't have a QSL wall but do like getting cards and have no issues with sending them out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I made mine in photoshop and just get them printed as 4x6 photos, then cut to 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 on a paper cutter. Have a fine tip sharpie to write on them. Easy to make a special one for a Field Day or QSO Party or something like that.

I don't have a QSL wall but do like getting cards and have no issues with sending them out.
View Quote

Was wondering if I could have them printed on photo paper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
QSL card printer:

View Quote

create them here.

save to a thumb drive, and take it to a local print shop

I printed up some basic ones, and some fancy ones similar to this...

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

They hold them and then send you a post card telling you they have QSL cards for you, to send money for postage to receive them. I have a bunch that have been held for a couple of years.

I don't think you have to be a member of ARRL to join. you do have to be a member to send outgoing QSL cards but not to receive them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#46]
You guys don't know what you are talking about! In Russia, they use burros to haul mail at a cheaper rate. Your QSL card will arrive at the KGB (FSB) headquarters first. It'll be processed and you name added to a database for further investigations (An agent will contact you from Bumfuck Egypt). Your card will be put in a burlap sack with other cards, loaded on a burro and hauled to it's final destination.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You guys don't know what you are talking about! In Russia, they use burros to haul mail at a cheaper rate. Your QSL card will arrive at the KGB (FSB) headquarters first. It'll be processed and you name added to a database for further investigations (An agent will contact you from Bumfuck Egypt). Your card will be put in a burlap sack with other cards, loaded on a burro and hauled to it's final destination.
View Quote

still faster than the USPS

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#48]
[b]Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is how I was told it was done. The Buro was something that I have never heard of before unitl I got the email. Im going to ask him for his address and just mail him one.
View Quote

Just look it up on QRZ.com
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

And this guy would know!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top