Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2021 9:21:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Experiment with different lengths and directions, but yeah that’s the idea.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, that'll work for the main antenna, though it would be better to run coax outside and then attach a wire to the coax.

Doing that will reduce the locally picked up noise.

That unit has a second input for the noise antenna, and depending on what you're trying to do what you attach may vary, but the default is a short wire that doesn't go outside to pick up highly localized noise.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Main antenna is just an EFHW 40-10. Very limited with what I can do here. The short built in whip does nothing, as was expected. I suspect it’s something in the power lines going down the back of the property, but the local power company isn’t known to be speedy. I can run coax outside and then connect a wire, or just run a wire from the 1026 outside. Either will work for me.
View Quote

For the noise antenna I would just run the wire. It wasn't clear if you were asking about the primary receive or noise antenna.

I owned the same MFJ unit but ended up selling it. It works if there's a strong emitter really close by, but the further away it is the less it seemed to be able to do.

Also it is really touchy on the noise null. It can be very frustrating to tune so be prepared.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume you've flipped off all the breakers and run the receiver off a battery to eliminate qrm from your house? If you haven't do that and flip them back one at a time. Also walk around with an am radio, you'll probably find that you have some noisy wall warts, chargers, computer monitors, etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I assume you've flipped off all the breakers and run the receiver off a battery to eliminate qrm from your house? If you haven't do that and flip them back one at a time. Also walk around with an am radio, you'll probably find that you have some noisy wall warts, chargers, computer monitors, etc.
View Quote

Just an update, not only does Batteries Plus sell these RFI generators, ALL THE LOWES STORES AROUND HERE SELL THEM NOW TOO!

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is what I’m dealing with here. As I go up it gets better. Here’s 80 and 40. 20m is S6. 10m is fine at S1. This is without using the attenuator.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262514/CC61CC11-4A47-4C20-A99B-2CFFFD94E645-1809968.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262514/F111B8F2-C905-4EA3-8028-713AFFD0FBB5-1809970.jpg
View Quote

Have you tried unplugging things around the house to see what happens?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:56:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes. A few posts above I said I killed the whole house and ran off battery. Still in Noisetown. Maybe I should burn my house down and move.
View Quote

Wandering around with an AM radio that has a bar antenna is probably cheaper. There's probably a power pole (or a few) that have something loose.

Brave souls will hit the pole with a small sledge to see if it changes the sound but I don't recommend that.

I had a bad transformer outside my old QTH and they came out pretty quickly to tighten the connections. That was good. It only lasted until the next storm. That was bad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes. A few posts above I said I killed the whole house and ran off battery. Still in Noisetown. Maybe I should burn my house down and move.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried unplugging things around the house to see what happens?

Rodger. Missed that. I think that's a solid place to start.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:27:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Magloop for receive. The bigger the element diameter the better, just keep the element length shorter than 0.10 wavelength on the lowest band you want to operate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out the web site of KK5JY. He has several loop receive only antennas that seem to work very well and are low noise.

One of them is a Loop on the Ground which is exactly what it sounds like. The stuff I've read about that antenna sounds very good.

Another one is a small vertical loop that even works indoors.

The man has some excellent articles on his site.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe, the later models of ANAN, SDR radios (Developed by Apace Labs company in India), already have a similar feature in their software. Second receive antenna can be used for this. Other manufacturer should also look into this to help guys who have to deal with so much RF noise.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Just for the heck of it, I built one of the small vertical loops I mentioned above. Using the plans from KK5JY's site, it went together easily.

I'm using it indoors at the moment, until the snow is gone, but the noise level dropped dramatically.

I did an A-B test against the other indoor antenna I had on hand, again, due to the weather. The other antenna was S7+ in noise level, and when I switched to the loop, it went down almost to nothing and the signals were still there.

It was enough to prove the concept for me. I'm in a noisy environment, and receiving loops will knock noise down.

I plan to build the Loop on Ground receive antenna once the snow is gone, too.

You can't transmit with either loop, not without wrecking the isolation transformer.

Check out his site, it might be worth your effort.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check for things with battery backup. I know one ham tat found his noise source was his bedroom clock radio with a battery backup. Still made noise with the power off.

If you have to search start with an AM radio. when you get close to the source that radio will saturate and if you have an aircraft radio use that when you get close to the noise source. Aircraft use AM modulation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is what I’m dealing with here. As I go up it gets better. Here’s 80 and 40. 20m is S6. 10m is fine at S1. This is without using the attenuator.

View Quote

That's nasty but have you tried just turning the RF Gain down.  A LOT!  I have some noise as well but I just turn the RF gain down until it's about S1.  All that clutter on the waterfall goes away and I can hear pretty well.

Edit ... There's a better video somewhere but I can't find it now.  This one is pretty good though.

How to Setup Your Receiver for Optimal Performance (IC-7300 & IC-7610)
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262514/CC61CC11-4A47-4C20-A99B-2CFFFD94E645-1809968.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262514/F111B8F2-C905-4EA3-8028-713AFFD0FBB5-1809970.jpg
View Quote

That looks like some type of pulse charging noise, there is a definite on and off pattern

When you operated from a battery did you turn off the main breaker to the house and start from there and there are no other breaker panels like in the garage or a shop you have that are separate?

How far away are you neighbors?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...There's probably a power pole (or a few) that have something loose...
View Quote

If this is the case, call the power company. They usually respond pretty quickly because it means something is costing them $$$.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top