Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2021 4:02:43 PM EDT
Sitting in my garage waiting for the sun to finish drying out the yard so I can mow it.  Look to my left and their sits my generator that I haven’t touched in seven months.

Required staring fluid to get it running and it sounds like it is hating life running a box fan on high.

If you neglect it until you need it, might as well not have it.

Thought of the moment while I am sitting here letting carb cleaner do its job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I set a reminder to run mine once a month for 15 min
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sitting in my garage waiting for the sun to finish drying out the yard so I can mow it.  Look to my left and their sits my generator that I haven't touched in seven months.

Required staring fluid to get it running and it sounds like it is hating life running a box fan on high.

If you neglect it until you need it, might as well not have it.

Thought of the moment while I am sitting here letting carb cleaner do its job.
View Quote
I look at it this way. You need a generator to start first try on a dark and stormy night.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Beat me to it. My Predator 4k demands to be run 20 minutes every 2-3 months.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Use non ethanol gas and it’ll last a lot longer. I run mine every 6 months and never had an issue
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm on my second year of only using non-ethanol gas and both my mower and generator appreciate it.
I do cycle gas through the generator later summer to have fresh gas in it for the fall.
So far it hasn't failed me. Before I often had problems with it when needed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine runs automatically weekly for 20 minutes to keep the battery charged.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Mines new in the box, haven't run it yet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mines new in the box, haven't run it yet.
View Quote

Then I would advise getting it out and testing it to ensure that it is going to work for you and you have what you need to run it.  I could tell a few stories about defecting units, missing parts, or other issues on brand new generators.   Most recently, my buddy bought a Champion and it leaked fuel inside the generator.   He could smell gas when he ran it and a gas tank didn't last as long as expected.   He refilled it and came back a couple of hours later to find is sitting in a puddle of fuel in his garage.   The cause was a loose fitting.  Easy fix but not something that you want to do when you need the generator.  

We had a guy on here recently trying to understand a strange frequency reading on his generator.   He should have been getting 60Hz but his meter was reading something similar to 4K Hz.   I never heard what happened with that.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Three times a year it gets fired up and run for 20 minutes. Non ethanol rec gas is all I use in it. Starts on first pull every time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I run ours quarterly for 15-20 minutes, just did it (a week behind schedule) yesterday. I use LPG for the exercise runs, so no need to worry about gasoline gumming up the carb. When it gets connected to the house for actual use, it runs on NG, and the LPG tanks and gasoline I keep on hand are backup fuel sources.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did that every month and the battery still went dead.  I put it on a trickle charger and all is good.  The generator is great otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#12]
And make sure to put a load on it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I run mine on the first of every month and put fresh gas in every 6 months after a complete drain of the tank .
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#14]
My powerhorse has been reliable for years. Start it every few months and let it run for 30min. Last month tried to start it and no joy. Drained fuel cleaned carb, changed the plug, and the air filter and still won't fire. No idea what issue is.

My Champion lives outside under a house eave. That bitch starts up like clockwork on gas, but refuses to run on propane ever since new.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
**NOT IDEAL**
Just sharing experience.

Purchased a Honda en2500 at a yard sale for $100 and it had gas in it that was used to check and make sure it worked. I really purchased it for someone else and they never picked it up so fast forward 2 1/2 years, we had a power outage and I pulled the generator out to see if it would keep the fridge cool. It started right up and never missed a beat for 2 days stopping and starting it every few hours to keep the fridge going. I never even put fresh gas in it.

YMMV!
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My powerhorse has been reliable for years. Start it every few months and let it run for 30min. Last month tried to start it and no joy. Drained fuel cleaned carb, changed the plug, and the air filter and still won't fire. No idea what issue is.

My Champion lives outside under a house eave. That bitch starts up like clockwork on gas, but refuses to run on propane ever since new.
View Quote

@SigsandCider

Regarding your Champion... I was doing some research on a dual fuel champion the other day and came across this review talking about a finicky dial when starting on propane. Might help?

"I never intended to run this unit with gasoline. Like many had mentioned, the unit was impossible to start on propane if you trust the dial markings. I was pulling it so many times and priming it over and over and it would not startup. After I google for this issue also reaching out to champion customer service (which was useless) one online reviewer instructed that if you intend to run with propane, you need to set the dial-in between choke and run and find a sweet spot. and voila just like that it started right up. the unit ran perfectly after I've learned how to start it up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]
For reference, carb cleaner is for like physically cleaning parts in a carb after you've taken it apart. Spraying it into the intake will do absolutely nothing to unclog jets which is primary issue with old fuel.

Best practice is to drain the float bowl of the carb and shutoff the gas if you are not going to use it. As well as top off the fuel tank as full as she'll go and seal it with a plastic bag under the cap (cap is vented) , or drain it completely as well.

When you run your generator give it a good load. Build a load bank if needed. I have a diesel generator, I run it at 100%+ load once a year or so. I built a load bank with a barrel and put water heater elements into it to heat water and sink all that power into so I can load down the generator. Running it with no load or with a 60 watt lightbulb won't simulate real use.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I run my 2 during the first week in every month for 30-45 minutes under about 1/2 load.  One is on natural gas, the other, propane.  I guess I just like knowing they work properly, and will always be ready if needed.  I have them on a great Rubbermaid cart and just wheel them out of the garage and they are ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
We have honda 2200i's. I prefer non ethanol, but that said we keep about 30 gallons on hand for them and our sxs. Usually don't have the same gas for more than 30 days. Generators typically get used atleast 8 hours a month.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently placed a note on top of one Genny (the one with gas in it) showing the last date I ran it.

It is easily accessible in the garage and I definitely need to run it again.

Make sure you run the carburetor dry after testing.  This way the fuel can go bad and all you need to do is dump the tank and add fresh fuel.  

Avoid gumming up those carbs and you will be up and running much quicker.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Ethanol free fuel is your friend
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Just changed the oil and test run my two generators a few weeks ago to get ready for hurricane season. My whole home genset self tests every month. Maintenance check done in May.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I run my 5kw for about 3 hours every June  with at least 3 electric heaters plugged in to it. That puts about a 4kw load on it. I cut the gas off and run the carburetor dry. I also put that red fuel additive in the gas to keep the carb. from gumming up. It starts on the 1st or 2nd pull. DON'T run a gasoline motor under or inside any structure. I pull mine into the back yard and set on a slab.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top