User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have almost identical looking controller. Got it from Amazon for $20. Noisy as hell. I put ferrites on the output and input but I think they were getting oversaturated with DC current. I ended up putting one layer of electrical tape in the gap between the ferrites halves (cores) to reduce saturation. It helped some but not enough to get rid of the RF noise.

Mach, I just bought the same PowerWerx charge controller. Just received it but didn't try using it yet. It came with a 30A Anderson connector on the output side. Did you connect yours directly to the battery's output or to the small round connector used to charge the battery with the 120V Bioenno charger?

Also, I was under impression that battery's internal BMS should automatically reduce charging current. It makes no sense if it doesn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use this solar charger from Bioenno with my 110 watt Powerwerx folding panel to charge my 15, 20, 40 and 100 AHr Bioenno batteries.  I've never detected any noise from it.

https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/solar-controllers/products/12v-24v-20a-solar-charge-controller-for-lifepo4-batteries-sc-122420jud

The (now discontinued) 110 watt folding panel puts out about 5 amps in full sun.

I have almost identical looking controller. Got it from Amazon for $20. Noisy as hell. I put ferrites on the output and input but I think they were getting oversaturated with DC current. I ended up putting one layer of electrical tape in the gap between the ferrites halves (cores) to reduce saturation. It helped some but not enough to get rid of the RF noise.

Mach, I just bought the same PowerWerx charge controller. Just received it but didn't try using it yet. It came with a 30A Anderson connector on the output side. Did you connect yours directly to the battery's output or to the small round connector used to charge the battery with the 120V Bioenno charger?

Also, I was under impression that battery's internal BMS should automatically reduce charging current. It makes no sense if it doesn't.

turns out the barrel plug and the power poles are connected together

from the website:

LFP:  Why is there a separate DC barrel plug connector and PowerPole Connector on my battery?  Can I charge through either connector?  
On our PVC Pack LiFePO4 batteries, there are two separate connectors.  The first connector has a DC barrel plug and the second connector has an Anderson Powerpole connector.  The two connectors are indeed wired in parallel on the PCM (protection circuit module) that is integrated in every single battery pack.  So it is perfectly okay and fine to charge through the PowerPole connectors. Many customers requested two separate connectors in the batteries, in order to keep the battery's charger attached to the battery, such that the battery and charger can be stored in a portable Go-Box.  At the same time, customers can leave the PowerPole connector attached to the radio communications equipment, without having to repeatedly disconnect the charger from the battery, and attach the radio communications equipment.  However, we understand customers want to charge through the Powerpole connectors and use various other third party products.  We provided the two sets of connectors, simply for convenience purposes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Guess I don't have to hook up the battery.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My Dakota Lithium battery only has one set of spade connectors. I can try the Dakota charger on the bioenno battery I have using the power poles. It uses alligator clips as a connection.
View Quote

if you could that would be great to see if you get any RF noise

thanks

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
These little guys are pretty rad too. No RFI experienced. I bought a couple to put in my go boxes.

https://www.impulseelectronics.com/automotive-dc-12-volt-to-14-6-volt-lithium-battery-charger/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

thanks

View Quote

Both batteries make rf noise when charged next to my radio. It didn't go to S9, but I could hear it go away when I disconnected the charger. No noise from the idle charger, the noise is when charging only.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Both batteries make rf noise when charged next to my radio. It didn't go to S9, but I could hear it go away when I disconnected the charger. No noise from the idle charger, the noise is when charging only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

Thanks, that is what I am getting too. Noise is correlated to amount of current. zero current zero noise. 1 amp noise, 2 amps more noise, 4 amps even more noise.

I am pretty convinced it is the BMS in the batteries.

There solution is to have the battery charging 3 feet or more away from the antenna and battery and not powering the radio when charging. Then all is good. I moded my case so the battery is now removeable and will just swap batteries and charge away from the setup.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My Bioenno Powerpack 400 that I took to Puerto Rico came with a wall wart charger. Whenever I would plug that in, 2m was completely unusable. Horrible RFI. Oddly, using the solar panel and connecting it to the built-in MPPT charger, no problem on VHF or HF.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My Bioenno Powerpack 400 that I took to Puerto Rico came with a wall wart charger. Whenever I would plug that in, 2m was completely unusable. Horrible RFI. Oddly, using the solar panel and connecting it to the built-in MPPT charger, no problem on VHF or HF.
View Quote

How close was it to the antenna or radio.

Did it power the radio while you were charging it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have two Bioenno batteries with me, 2 genasun chargers, and two ways of charging.

Bioenno- 12ah & 20ah
5a genasun & 10a genasun
Solar panels is a topsun folding 100w
Renogogy 100w flex panel

I also brought a old car battery that loves to hold a charge and a Walmart superstars 400w inverter.

No noise from Solar panels using the radio while charging  both genasuns were quite. Turned on the inverter,  static every where

I would at this point call your batteries defective. If the benefits is putting out noise, something is wrong with your battery.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Normally Powerwerx is good about providing RF friendly products but sometimes something can slip through.

Bionenno is good as well, but due to all of the supply chain issues I wouldn't rule out cost savings on the BMS (Battery Management System) board which is internal to the battery case.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried swapping in a gel cell or SLA battery just to see if the noise goes away?  It seems like a simple test to isolate the cause.  I don't think the 14.6V would harm the battery if you just did it long enough to check for noise.

ETA are you connecting the radio in parallel to the battery and charger so the radio is taking the full 14.6V charger output?  

I am curious how all this works because I have a 12000mAh LiFePO4 battery I want to build into a small plastic ammo can and equip it with a solar charger.  But, I'm not planning on running the radio while the charger is connected, but I probably will be using USB ports to charge other devices from it.

Ideally the charger would fit inside the ammo box along with the battery and possibly a 110V charger as well.  

For my intended use, noise is a secondary consideration to price.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Normally Powerwerx is good about providing RF friendly products but sometimes something can slip through.

Bionenno is good as well, but due to all of the supply chain issues I wouldn't rule out cost savings on the BMS (Battery Management System) board which is internal to the battery case.
View Quote

I have had both batteries long before Covid.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you tried swapping in a gel cell or SLA battery just to see if the noise goes away?  It seems like a simple test to isolate the cause.  I don't think the 14.6V would harm the battery if you just did it long enough to check for noise.

ETA are you connecting the radio in parallel to the battery and charger so the radio is taking the full 14.6V charger output?  

I am curious how all this works because I have a 12000mAh LiFePO4 battery I want to build into a small plastic ammo can and equip it with a solar charger.  But, I'm not planning on running the radio while the charger is connected, but I probably will be using USB ports to charge other devices from it.

Ideally the charger would fit inside the ammo box along with the battery and possibly a 110V charger as well.  

For my intended use, noise is a secondary consideration to price.
View Quote

Good idea, I will try that with an SLA battery to see if the noise is the batteries.

Yes on the parallel, only way to do it that I know of.

On the Batteries, they have the barrel plug for charging and power power pole for supplying power, those 2 connections are directly connected to each other, they are interchangeable and are in fact the same connection so there is no way to charge and use at the same time without having the solar charger directly connected to the radio.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have two Bioenno batteries with me, 2 genasun chargers, and two ways of charging.

Bioenno- 12ah & 20ah
5a genasun & 10a genasun
Renogogy 100w flex panel

I also brought a old car battery that loves to hold a charge and a Walmart superstars 400w inverter.

No noise from Solar panels using the radio while charging  both genasuns were quite. Turned on the inverter,  static every where

I would at this point call your batteries defective. If the benefits is putting out noise, something is wrong with your battery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bioenno- 12ah & 20ah
5a genasun & 10a genasun
Renogogy 100w flex panel

How far away from the radio and antenna are the solar chargers and the batteries?

When I decrease the distance to the radio and antenna, the noise drops off fast.

My endfed antenna starts in the GoBox and the batter in mounted inches from the radio.

If I move the battery several feet outside the box away from the radio and the antenna, the noise drops off very quickly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top