Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2022 8:03:06 AM EDT
I have a 25 degree rated sleeping bag which is comfortable to me down to about 40 degrees.  Rather than buying a second sleeping bag with a lower rating would wrapping it with a quilt extend the performance?  Of course the answer is yes, but is it worth it compared to purchasing another sleeping bag.  I am talking about the “sleeping bag replacement quilts” that are popular these days, not just grandmas quilt on the daybed.

Looking to be able to sleep down to about zero so for me probably needs a total rating of -15 or something.

I do understand the importance of ground insulation.

Thoughts on sleeping bag and quilt combos vs just buy another bag?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've tried using blankets with a sleeping bag and they did very little. Insulating yourself from the ground does help though. Bivy sack can be helpful as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used one of the synthetic "camp blanket" things to increase the cold protection of a 40 degree bag and it worked great.

If you are getting cold don't forget to pay attention to what you are on as well, sometimes more improvement comes from better insulating from the ground.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have found the more insulation I had between me and the ground, the warmer I was.

Dig sleeping pit, line with pine needles grass etc. Put tarp over then pad then sleeping back. Plus a quilt sucks to carry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quilts are great and yes I know what you're talking about and it's not from grandma's house.  Just remember they're meant to be paired with a good insulating ground pad.

I'll try to dig up a chart that shows the temp ratings for layering bags with quilts and different ground pads.

Edit: view this chart for seeing how to combine different quilts and their combined rating. Combining with a sleeping bag and insulated ground pad should give similar temp ratings. Quilt Ratings
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]
putting a blanket on top of a sleeping bag will compress the loft of the sleeping bag and not work well.

Loft ( trapped air ) is what keeps you warm. Compressing that loft will not work well.

Putting the blanket inside the sleeping bag will work better or using an over bag designed as an over bag can work.

Also making sure you are well insulated against the ground or the cold air underneath you if on a cot will help a lot too. A blanket ( or air mattress ) underneath the sleeping bag can make a big difference.

Also wearing insulating layers inside the sleeping bag will work.

Wear a balaclava or fleece hat.

need insulation down to zero F ( want -15 F rating ? ) then you need a winter bag with that rating. Nothing you do with that 25 degree bag will go that cold.

also it all depends on where you are. If you can get up and start the truck, give it a shot. If you are miles from the nearest anything, get a new bag with the rating you want.

Going that cold, you need a true winter bag with baffles, 8 inches of loft or more, mummy style, draft tube on the zipper, hood with draw cord, You need a quality mountaineering bag, not a walmart bag that says it is -15F. You need a real quality winter bag.

At those temps you need loft and not losing air from the inside.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
There are several things I used to do on cold weather camping trips with my son and his Boy Scout Troop.  Adding a fleece liner bag inside the sleeping bag helps a lot.  I also used a blanket folded several times on top of a solid foam ground pad and wore a fleece hat, and in extreme cold synthetic long johns and socks, which I changed into at night so they were dry and clean.  Don't forget an empty Gatorade bottle, because who wants to leave the tent in the middle of a really cold night.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
If your car / boat / vehicle camping, just bring more blankets, hiking long distances, , your gonna need a better bag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
In my youth, I discovered a 100% wool blanket inside the sleeping bag was very warm.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
putting a blanket on top of a sleeping bag will compress the loft of the sleeping bag and not work well.

Loft ( trapped air ) is what keeps you warm. Compressing that loft will not work well.

Putting the blanket inside the sleeping bag will work better or using an over bag designed as an over bag can work.

Also making sure you are well insulated against the ground or the cold air underneath you if on a cot will help a lot too. A blanket ( or air mattress ) underneath the sleeping bag can make a big difference.

need insulation down to zero F ( want -15 F rating ? ) then you need a winter bag with that rating. Nothing you do with that 25 degree bag will go that cold.

also it all depends on where you are. If you can get up and start the truck, give it a shot. If you are miles from the nearest anything, get a new bag with the rating you want.

Going that cold, you need a true winter bag with baffles, 8 inches of loft or more, mummy style, draft tube on the zipper, hood with draw cord, You need a quality mountaineering bag, not a walmart bag that says it is -15F. You need a real quality winter bag.

View Quote

This dude gets it. I'll reiterate the vital need for a good sleeping pad, unfortunately good ones for those temps aren't cheap. Bags? I've had good success with Western mountaineering and Big Agnes, but plenty to choose from out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, almost no one on this thread either read your post or has a fucking clue what they are talking about. Guys, he's not talking about a blanket and this isn't GD. Quilts are like partial sleeping bags to cut down on weight, they aren't totally enclosed and are used in combination with an insulated sleeping pad and some strapping/webbing.

See my link above or post on Rokslide. Quilts work well with sleeping bags as extra insulation (go up a size if you can so you don't compress your bag's insulation) but like I said make sure to use a good insulating ground pad.

EDIT: You can get down quilts to 0 degrees here, they're light but pricey. Not your grandma's quilt.

Here's a quilt for those that think he is talking about a blanket.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
The problem becomes one of air exchange / draft / dead space.  A quilt over the top of the bag is going to suffer a lot of this.  

The outer covering needs to limit air exchange, which is why it really needs to be a bag, itself.

I have 30F and 10F bags, and the 30F makes for a great liner inside the 10F, way more effective than simply putting it over the top of the 10F.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking to be able to sleep down to about zero so for me probably needs a total rating of -15 or something.
View Quote
If your 25F bag is only comfortable down to about 40F, honestly, I can't think of anything reasonable that is going to get that system to 0F, let alone -15F.  Maybe if you buy a 0ºF bag, your 20ºF can be used inside of it.  Maybe.  Without seeing the bag, I can't really say.

In my experience, these are the minimum loft requirements for single, zippered bag, for a decent night's sleep at the following temperatures.

Lay the bag flat on a solid floor surface, hold a level at an average part of the bag, measure the thickness.

Temp    Total Lofted Thickness
35F         3.5"
32F         4.0"
20F         5.5"
15F         6.0"
10F         6.5"
 5F          7.0"
-10F         8.5"
-25F         9.5"
-40F       10.5"
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have found the more insulation I had between me and the ground, the warmer I was.

Dig sleeping pit, line with hot rocks from the firepit cover with dirt and pine needles grass etc. Put tarp over then pad then sleeping back. Plus a quilt sucks to carry.
View Quote

I fix you suggest for you
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a GI woobie over my sleeping bag to improve comfort at low temps.  It does work.  Spent a night at -20f winter before last.  BTW at those temps it snows inside the tent from your breath freezing and falling back onto your face.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quilts are great and yes I know what you're talking about and it's not from grandma's house.  Just remember they're meant to be paired with a good insulating ground pad.

I'll try to dig up a chart that shows the temp ratings for layering bags with quilts and different ground pads.

Edit: view this chart for seeing how to combine different quilts and their combined rating. Combining with a sleeping bag and insulated ground pad should give similar temp ratings. Quilt Ratings
View Quote

Cool chart, exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This dude gets it. I'll reiterate the vital need for a good sleeping pad, unfortunately good ones for those temps aren't cheap. Bags? I've had good success with Western mountaineering and Big Agnes, but plenty to choose from out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to do solo winter mountaineering for a week at a time.

Thank God I lived through it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Military issue poncho liner inside your sleeping bag for the win!
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use a GI woobie over my sleeping bag to improve comfort at low temps.  It does work.  Spent a night at -20f winter before last.  BTW at those temps it snows inside the tent from your breath freezing and falling back onto your face.
View Quote

A poncho liner has no meaningful thickness.  It provides no meaningful air seal.  It's really not going to do much of anything.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
One night  successfully used a 40F and a 30F quilt combined down to a verified 0F.

I was also wearing all my clothing.

My feet were cold but that was about it.
My quilts don't have the dedicated closed end foot box, but are the also can lay open as a blanket style.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Several companies make bag liners that add to the temperature rating. I have put a poncho liner over my bag and felt that it helped keeping me warm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Silk bag liners add about 15 degrees for me, ad an insulated pad and over quit to my hammock and my 20° bag is comfy to about 0°.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The problem becomes one of air exchange / draft / dead space.  A quilt over the top of the bag is going to suffer a lot of this.  

The outer covering needs to limit air exchange, which is why it really needs to be a bag, itself.

I have 30F and 10F bags, and the 30F makes for a great liner inside the 10F, way more effective than simply putting it over the top of the 10F.
View Quote

Putting a bag inside a bag will compress the insulation and decrease loft, unless your outer bag is huge. If it is, you’re probably cold because your body heat is warming the air instead of being trapped against your skin by the insulation. Now if the bags are designed to nest like the MSS they’ll work fine, but otherwise draping the outer bag over the inner is more effective.

I’ve used my 45F WM EverLite over my Sierra Designs 15F Mobile Mummy 800 to stay warm down to 15F. The MM has a 26F comfort rating, the WM is warm to maybe 40-42F for me with a light merino baselayer. I zipped the WM about 1/4 closed and closed the foot drawstring to keep it in place on the MM. I was almost as warm as when in my NEMO Sonic 0F.

OP,

For 0F you’re going to need a sleeping pad with a very high R-value. My Exped DownMat 9 has an R-value of 7.8, with a -36F rating by Exped (wink wink.) I think the warmest Thermarest pads have R-values in the mid 6s. I’ve never used one but they’re pretty highly rated. Expect to pay $200-plus not to freeze.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
The zenbivy system looks interesting, but quite pricey for a decent cold rating and down filled.

In hunting camp (vehicle access so not weight critical) I use a heavy ALPS square cut bag - I've slept in it down to about 10 f in a tent with a woodstove in it.  I usually bring a light summer mummy bag to use as an inner bag if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A poncho liner has no meaningful thickness.  It provides no meaningful air seal.  It's really not going to do much of anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure it will

it will make you sweat your ass off and freeze to death.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

sure it will

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure it will

A poncho liner is very breathable.  Vapor will diffuse through to the same degree that it will the insulation of the sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A poncho liner is very breathable.  Vapor will diffuse through to the same degree that it will the insulation of the sleeping bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure it will

sorry thought it said poncho, not liner
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe I missed it but are you backpacking or vehicle camping?  

What are you sleeping on?

I’ve used a poncho liner numerous times to get a sleeping bag to be more comfortable in colder temps than the bag should have handled. It worked quite well. Always inside the sleeping bag.

I’ve spent some chilly nights with several heavy weight sleeping bags piled on me. My wife sleeps cold and always needs extra insulation. She slept with a few regular rectangle sleeping bags over and under her and she slept pretty comfortably.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks all for the replies.  For my use case it looks like my idea is sound.  I can get a quilt and then have the option to use it or the sleeping bag separately or together to have a little more temperature range.  I don’t plan on doing anything really cold but if needed could.  I do have several insulated air pads and foam pads and the like so if needed should have a sufficient total system.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Putting a bag inside a bag will compress the insulation and decrease loft, unless your outer bag is huge. If it is, you’re probably cold because your body heat is warming the air instead of being trapped against your skin by the insulation. Now if the bags are designed to nest like the MSS they’ll work fine, but otherwise draping the outer bag over the inner is more effective.

I’ve used my 45F WM EverLite over my Sierra Designs 15F Mobile Mummy 800 to stay warm down to 15F. The MM has a 26F comfort rating, the WM is warm to maybe 40-42F for me with a light merino baselayer. I zipped the WM about 1/4 closed and closed the foot drawstring to keep it in place on the MM. I was almost as warm as when in my NEMO Sonic 0F.
View Quote
I don't have any noticeable top or side compression issues with my 32F bag inside of my 10F or -20F bags.  Not that I've really had a need to do so, though.  The 10F and -20F bags are 62" and 64", respectively, at the shoulders.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP, almost no one on this thread either read your post or has a fucking clue what they are talking about. Guys, he's not talking about a blanket and this isn't GD. Quilts are like partial sleeping bags to cut down on weight, they aren't totally enclosed and are used in combination with an insulated sleeping pad and some strapping/webbing.

See my link above or post on Rokslide. Quilts work well with sleeping bags as extra insulation (go up a size if you can so you don't compress your bag's insulation) but like I said make sure to use a good insulating ground pad.

EDIT: You can get down quilts to 0 degrees here, they're light but pricey. Not your grandma's quilt.

Here's a quilt for those that think he is talking about a blanket.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/ccp-prd-s3-uploads/2019/9/6/281fc18138373f8bcef23be9814de5ca55eaf83a.webp
View Quote

BINGO! One of these would absolutely work because they aren't heavy enough to compress any insulation underneath.

I have a 20* rated quilt from Enlightened Equipment because I can't stand feeling constricted in a sleeping bag any more. I mostly use it up at my friend's offgrid cabin. On really cold nights I'll put a poncho liner over it. I hold them to my cot using a couple binder clips at the foot end and tie the head ends together so the woobie doesn't slide off. (The EE quilt is so light and slippery that when it can slide right off otherwise. I don't use it setup with a footbox. I use it spread out.)

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#31]
A second bag for the colder weather is a more effective solution.
If you have the room to add the quilt inside it would certainly help but being frozen sucks.

I once did what you proposed while doing some Idaho winter camping with a 40deg bag inside of a 15deg bag.  I’m alive and didn’t lose toes but never ever again.   Pretty sure we were only at 15deg so not even 0.  That’s was a much younger dumber version of myself.  Well I was also broke.  

These days real goose down and wool are my best friends if in the cold
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a fleece liner bag, inside my zero degree sleeping bag.  This makes me comfortable down to 30 degrees or so.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I use a fleece liner bag, inside my zero degree sleeping bag.  This makes me comfortable down to 30 degrees or so.
View Quote

Is your zero bag ... 0ºC?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m always cold, and don’t tolerate cold weather all that well.  Especially when I sleep
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. There are two bag systems like the Army's MTSS and Wiggy's FRTSS where they are designed to "mate" together for lower temp performance.  

I have a 20-degree down bag inside my HPG Mountain Serape; it's a great combo, but the slick shells can be problematic if you move around a lot at night:

This issue with different bags is the mating part. If not connected, the slick shells will slip away from each other.  About the only solution is an outer quilt with longer connecting bungees so they don't overly compress, just stays put over the main bag.  You'll need that sleeping pad to attach the quilt, but it's a very viable option.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I’m always cold, and don’t tolerate cold weather all that well.  Especially when I sleep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Several companies make bag liners that add to the temperature rating. I have put a poncho liner over my bag and felt that it helped keeping me warm.
View Quote

I can't help OP with getting comfortable down to 0 degrees, bit a bag liner (inside) thing i made got my hammock over quilt comfortable down to the high 20s.

Bought two of those cheap fleece throws at walmart. Also bought some Dacron quilting insulation batting, like women pad bed quilts with. . The first throw and dacron made an insulated footbox. The second was sewn to that to cover the length of my body.

To deploy, i get in the hammock (with its underquilt), i throw the feece thing on on foot, then throw the down over quilt over that. Then i slip the other foot inside the insulated foot box. Just having that insulated fleece/dacron foot box made one hell of a difference. The rest of the single layer fleece thing is great, too. My down overquilt had me comfortable down to the mid 30s. Last cold outing the added fleece thing had me comfortable to 28.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes absolutely,  I have a 40 degree bag that I pair with a 40 degree quilt.  It allows me to get to about 20 easily.  Also lets you have separate options as well.

Bags are inefficient anyway as most of the loft under you is wasted.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Polyethylene foam packing sheet 1" thick very warm to use as a sleeping pad
Or blow up air mattress to keep ground contact from getting your bottem side cold on frozen ground
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

Haven’t tried the poncho liner outside the bag. I do liner-bag-bivy.

Who’s done both?

The poncho liner may not have “meaningful” thickness, but my ass is meaningfully warmer using it. Maybe there’s better liners on the commercial market, but I will always carry my USGI poncho liner in all 4 seasons.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Who’s done both?

The poncho liner may not have “meaningful” thickness, but my ass is meaningfully warmer using it. Maybe there’s better liners on the commercial market, but I will always carry my USGI poncho liner in all 4 seasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who’s done both?

Because you put the liner inside the bag, instead of draping it over the top.  A thin liner is most effective where it can reduce bellows and natural convection effects, and that's on the inside of an already reasonably sealed bag.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Add 10 inches to the loft chart when consider woman instead of bag comrades
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes absolutely,  I have a 40 degree bag that I pair with a 40 degree quilt.  It allows me to get to about 20 easily.  Also lets you have separate options as well.

Bags are inefficient anyway as most of the loft under you is wasted.
View Quote

I like a bag because it moves with me. I roll to one side, the bag does too, and then that bottom insulation is very nice. I used my WM EverLite as a quilt once, tying the footbox drawstring, zipping the zipper 1/3 up, and putting the zipper underneath, and even with some homemade pad straps I couldn’t keep drafts out when I moved. People have told me it works the same as your bed at home, but I don’t sleep on a 25” wide bed. I’d say the Zenbivy or Backcountry Bed concepts are the most like a bed and probably the most comfy, but I’m more than comfy enough in a sleeping bag. Not being able to roll right off the pad would be nice, though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I've rolled myself up in a comforter then zipped myself up in a sleeping bag.

Works quite well. My bag is a moderate weather bag for down to 40F, I believe, and with the comforter and bag I was able to sleep quite comfortably down to 15F.

Pro tip...get one of those big Hot Hands body warmers and put it in your bag. If you wake up in the middle of the night and find a cold spot, move the body warmer there and it'll go away in no time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I recently bought the wiggy's antarctic bag rated to -60 for winter camping because with another one I can mate them together and have something the wife and I can share. I slept in it at no higher than 20 degrees so far this fall and it is enough to make me have a separate cold weather bag from here on out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've rolled myself up in a comforter then zipped myself up in a sleeping bag.

Works quite well. My bag is a moderate weather bag for down to 40F, I believe, and with the comforter and bag I was able to sleep quite comfortably down to 15F.

Pro tip...get one of those big Hot Hands body warmers and put it in your bag. If you wake up in the middle of the night and find a cold spot, move the body warmer there and it'll go away in no time.
View Quote

I had a custom bag made for my wife and had an extra 1.5 Oz of down added around the footbox and a pocket sewn in to hold a chemical warmer next to the feet. Was worth the cost to not hear complaints about cold feet.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I have two of the Big Kazoo sleeping bags, with opposite side zippers.
They don't have side block baffles.  So I can reposition most of the down of the outer bag to the top, then put one inside the other.
The opposite side zippers prevents drafts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:08:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Insulated sleeping bags are warm because they have loft - a barrier of air between you and the environment. I would think a quilt or blanket over the sleeping bag would decrease loft, and therefore reduce warmth. I agree with previous posters that increasing your insulation from the ground is a better approach.

Or, find yourself a warmer bag. 0° bags aren't that expensive. That said, a bag's lower limit rating is never its "comfort" rating.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#50]
If i were you i would use a blowup pad on top of a foam pad (yoga mats work great)
The ground is the problem.
If you are car camping get a heater buddy for the tent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top