Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2019 12:13:45 PM EDT
My GHB is probably most people's BOB as I'm working 47 miles from home every day. As part of getting a lightweight inexpensive stove, I bought the following a month ago and have used it 8 times to date for breakfast and dinner.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I paid $18 with free shipping. I went into Academy and bought a 110g GSI cannister. On the first use, the flame was surging and totally not what I was expecting, no intense blue at the base, only a fiery orange that went way too high. The GSI cannister is this one which apparently is isobutane only and cheap at $3.99: 110g GSI gas canister. To date with this fiery ridiculous flame I have cooked 5 meals and found 2 cups of water boil in 3.5 minutes on high setting.

After 5 meals I switched to this cannister as an experiment and found that the flame worked much much better and controllable:
MissingImage

I am now very satisfied with this stove. It weighs 11 ounces with its box that it sits in. That box nests perfectly into this pot set that I also grabbed:
MissingImage

This setup is good for occasional camping, GHB/BOB use, and for light backpacking depending on the season and how cold it is/what altitude you're at. Note: this has only been used 8 times but with very good results, particularly with the jetboil gas cannister. Keep in mind that the one listed on Amazon shows a price of $18.49, however, in Academy I bought the same thing for $5.99. You can find that listed here Jetboil Jetpower 230gr canister or directly in the store.

For my GHB I'm packing 4 days of food, water, water purification, sleeping gear, shelter, and miscellaneous survival items into a Kelty Redwing 50L bag with a current weight of 27 pounds, including food and 2 Liters of water. I'll do a writeup with pics later when I have time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool thanks for thr write-up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I've got one of them too and it too has worked very well. I just like the more stable base of the bigger stove which gives better pot support.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Another consideration you might think about is the gas adapter to convert to propane cannisters. About  12 bucks. You can get a Coleman Peak one burner for about $10 on Amazon now. They work great. Will fit inside the cup/ pot cannister set you linked. Have one two.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, didn't you have a similar little stove at one of the FLHTF camp & shoots?
View Quote
@osprey21

Yes, sir sure did and still have it. It's a white gas/Coleman fuel deal I've owned since 1982 but its heavier and harder to start than these little canister stoves. However, it does run like a champ. Here it is with the cookset I used in the FLHTF camp & shoots.

I'm planning to do a video of this Svea 123 and the canister stove in a side by side comparison most likely in June when life slows just a bit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Your canister stove will blow the SVEA 123R out of the water.

I like the 123R but it isn't a jet engine. Just sounds like one!
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a Swedish Trangia stove and a flask of alcohol with esbit tabs for a back up plan. I might be dreaming but I think it will get me through the two day walk I have planned to get home from work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Step one, get a 123 non-R so you don't have to worry about gumming up the silly cleaning needle. Step two, get a bernie dog cap for your svea and rule the world. @drew5337
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, I'm in a similar situation except I have 60mi commute thru the highways and major roads each way, everyday.  In addition I live in a major metropolitan area so Im going to assume I'm going to have to go around SHTF location.  My estimate is about 100mi of walk/bike in a densely populated major metropolitan area to get back home, so op-sec is of utmost importance.

The problem that I have with jetboil systems is their noise emission.  Although I have one of these in my GHB as a backup, I also have a one of the esbit folding lightweight stoves that burns alcohol gel or wood fuel with practically no noise.  When using the alcohol gel, there is no smoke either.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#11]
If opsec while transiting to the BOL is an issue then carry food that doesn't need cooking.  Spam slices, tuna, snickers, etc.

Svea 123 is best stove though.  And I have all the stoves. @opusxkc is right, non R model.  Have yet to buy a silencer cap for it or my msr dragonfly, but should.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
A note on the svea123, I used 2 stroke mix in a pinch and it worked for 1.5 meals then the orifice plugged with carbon, the jet cleaner worked, but I only use only clean gas now.
I rinsed it and it works well now. I think burning leaded gas plugs them permanently, (not an issue now)
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A note on the svea123, I used 2 stroke mix in a pinch and it worked for 1.5 meals then the orifice plugged with carbon, the jet cleaner worked, but I only use only clean gas now.
I rinsed it and it works well now. I think burning leaded gas plugs them permanently, (not an issue now)
View Quote
I've never tried 2 stroke mix but have done HEET in mine (primarily methanol) and it burned super clean and left no residues. Also did just standard 87 octane without an issue (just did 1 tank) and followed that with HEET just to try and get rid of residual gasoline. Again, no problems, but white gas (Coleman fuel) is what I typically run.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I use one of the mini titanium fold out stoves. Literally a better fit for a large mug than a "pot"
Stick it on a large base canister and use the little kettle to heat water, pour water into mug or food bag as needed.
Basically this https://www.gearbest.com/other-sports-gadgets/pp_009389719876.html?wid=1433363 (hope that works, not team these days.) They have a variety of models but I didn't see the one I originally got in a quick look. I bought a few to make shipping practical.

I use a few different brands of canisters but do try to stick to the "cold" weather mixtures. I haven't had any surging issues, but that can easily be caused by the canister being too cold. You'll actually have better luck with the wider ones and once they've been used a bit. The internal gas volume will be higher which helps it keep up.

I also have a larger MSI multi-fuel stove I don't use for hiking/camping anymore but it's tucked into the preps with the different nozzles and a few fuel bottles and rebuild kits. That thing will burn almost any flammable liquid and isn't THAT big. It's also much more stable with a larger pot so it works well as a regular stove burner replacement. I've cooked regular meals on it quite a few times.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a Packafeather alcohol stove, because it has an adjustment for flame that really works, and weighs 3 ounces empty.
I also got a titanium fold-up "stove", that I use for a wind break and pot support. they make a great team.
The Packafeather holds enough alcohol to boil water for about 25 minutes.
In a pinch I could burn twigs in the titanium stove, but it would not be as convenient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top