Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2020 11:13:17 AM EDT
heard commotion out by the road, its a major county 2 lane road.

I heard a high powered rifle and pile of dogs barking and a caravan of trucks.  I go out and the truckes are parked on side of road , when I got there they were loading up a bear they shot. And gathering a couple dogs.

It took me a minute to get over there from gunshot til they loaded it. I suspect it was chased from my side of road/property to other side and they shot from the road, can't prove any of this other then time line of shot -[> loading bear.

Is this legal to do ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
my first question, was this a public road?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

my first question, was this a public road?
View Quote

Major 2 lane County road
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
regs

Looks like you must be 25 yards off the road.  And 500 feet from a building.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:50:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#5]
Trespassing and running hounds varies greatly from state to state.  Lots of states, if land is not posted in a specific way and it’s not agriculture...it’s not trespassing.  Other states you need written permission no matter what the circumstances.

Hunting dogs are all over the place as well. I sure if you called your DNR they could give you the correct answer in respect to your state.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By die-tryin:

Major 2 lane County road
View Quote

then most likely an illegal action.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
In Iowa you can hunt in the ditches between the road and the fence.  It is how most ditch chickens are shot anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
heard commotion out by the road, its a major county 2 lane road.

I heard a high powered rifle and pile of dogs barking and a caravan of trucks.  I go out and the truckes are parked on side of road , when I got there they were loading up a bear they shot. And gathering a couple dogs.

It took me a minute to get over there from gunshot til they loaded it. I suspect it was chased from my side of road/property to other side and they shot from the road, can't prove any of this other then time line of shot -[> loading bear.

Is this legal to do ?
View Quote

I’m upstate NY you must be 200 feet from a feeling or a road to fire a rifle or pistol.
Aside from that hunting should be fair chase in my opinion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top