Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2019 8:22:55 PM EDT
Some friends and I would like to get into the ham game. looking into getting the license, blah blah…

We are looking for handheld comms that can be used to talk internally, approx. 10 mile range...is this doable with the basic $50 handheld? Any advice for starting would be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd spend a bit more money on my radios, but yeah, that'll do.  The range of the radios will depend a lot on terrain and the antenna you're using.  Line of site, no problem.  Big mountain between you, it ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd spend a bit more money on my radios, but yeah, that'll do.  The range of the radios will depend a lot on terrain and the antenna you're using.  Line of site, no problem.  Big mountain between you, it ain't gonna happen.
View Quote
do you have any handheld recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

do you have any handheld recommendations?
View Quote
The 8watt baofeng is a great option for $60 or for $30 get the less powerful 5watt baofeng, with the upgraded Naygoa 771 antenna I can hit a repeater about 8 miles away with the 5 watt version but that’s it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Good info thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
10 miles is not going to happen very often simplex with an HT.  Combination of power, antenna type, and height above ground means you're getting blocked by trees and terrain most of the time.  With certain conditions you can go farther of course, if you're in a flat area with no vegetation or you're each on high ground.  I could talk to my dad simplex about 35 miles away with 5 or 10 watts (I forget how low I could go) but we were both using full size antennas up 20 ft or so, on top of us both living on high ground.

HTs are either going to be tactical comms within a mile or two, or go through a repeater and it's a whole different ballgame.  You could potentially talk to someone 60 miles away through a repeater. You have to be OK with every other ham tuned into the repeater listening, and you better be licensed or you'll get slapped quick.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
10 miles is not going to happen very often simplex with an HT.  Combination of power, antenna type, and height above ground means you're getting blocked by trees and terrain most of the time.  With certain conditions you can go farther of course, if you're in a flat area with no vegetation or you're each on high ground.  I could talk to my dad simplex about 35 miles away with 5 or 10 watts (I forget how low I could go) but we were both using full size antennas up 20 ft or so, on top of us both living on high ground.

HTs are either going to be tactical comms within a mile or two, or go through a repeater and it's a whole different ballgame.  You could potentially talk to someone 60 miles away through a repeater. You have to be OK with every other ham tuned into the repeater listening, and you better be licensed or you'll get slapped quick.
View Quote
Yep. Forget 10 miles distance with a handheld unless you use a repeater(s). Depending on terrain, 10 miles may be tough even with mobile 50 watt radios and antennas. Realistic comms range will be around 1/4 mile to a mile, maybe 2 miles if it's somewhat flat terrain with no obstructions.
10 miles should be achievable with both stations using 50 watt radios and decent external antennas, at least 20-25 ft above ground. It may not be possible if there are obstructions like large buildings, hills, mountain ranges etc. You are probably looking at spending about $500 per station, or less if you buy everything used and build an antenna yourself.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure what you mean by "talk internally" but if you mean secure transmissions within the group it ain't going to happen on ham freqs. Any type of scrambling or "obscuring the meaning of a transmission" is strictly forbidden on ham freqs. You can use frequency hopping but that can be pretty easily followed with a scanner. As far as 10 miles, not a chance with a handheld without going through a repeater.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Most hand held radios will garner you anywhere from 1,000 feet to 1.5 miles mostly depending on terrain.

Start Here

Welcome in and good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top