Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2019 3:15:43 PM EDT
Good Afternoon,

Like most of you, I'm overrun with pigs.  I shoot them off the porch here and there, but I want to start hunting at night.

I've always said that once thermal became affordable, I'd try it.

Any information on the ATN thOR-LT 3-6x for $1199?  I'd just put it on a 5.56 AR and use it at night only.  Shouts out to 150 yds max.

Do I need to save for more or do you think this would work for my application?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got my LGS trying to get one for me.

It will go on an AR-10, so I'm gonna try the 4-8X. I don't think they are out in the wild yet.

If It doesn't do what I want, save a little more beer money and get one with more HP.

The big thing is that they have stripped most of the tech features out and I'm OK with that.

I've been happy with my X-Sight II, killed a lot of pigs with it. For $600, it got me in the night game with a 300AAC. I consider it a 100yd rig and don't push that. The downside is having to pass on a lot of shots out at 150yd or more. It has it's limitations and many people overexpected from them, with many bad reviews resulting.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What part of tx are you in? Welcome to come look at the stuff I got and compare different makes/models.  I don’t own any ATN tried them years ago, never again , and I always advise the same ..... My experience with them sucked. There’s folk I know that have been very happy with them, so take what I say with grain of salt as is strictly an option
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have any other animals to worry about and target ID is not critical then many low end thermals will get the job done out to 150

I have no first hand experience with ATN but during my thermal research it looked like they have a terrible reputation for QC. Armasight/FLIR gets good reviews overall, and Pulsar seems to be exceptionally popular. On the super high end is Trijicon with the Hunter and REAP-IR models. They have the best resolution but are super expensive and don't have all the cool features of the Pulsar like wireless, PiP and easy video recording

Tmm1270 knows his stuff. Take him up on the offer to check out a few of his thermals. I'm going to try and swing by myself when I get back from the deep desert, we've been trying to plan something for like ever now
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of tx are you in? Welcome to come look at the stuff I got and compare different makes/models.  I don’t own any ATN tried them years ago, never again , and I always advise the same ..... My experience with them sucked. There’s folk I know that have been very happy with them, so take what I say with grain of salt as is strictly an option
View Quote
I'm East of Dallas about an hour.  If you're half close, I'd welcome the opportunity to see a few.  Please let me know; thank you!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
However long it takes you to get to Palestine, add an hour . I’m 2hrs from minneola/grand saline area
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
My buddy had to send his back after three months use. I like my Pulsar better.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have been holding out sir. We demand pictures of big piles of dead pigs....
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the grass is so tall I drove upon a sounder the other day and thought what was them things moving the grass? Then it dawned on me it was pigs! If this rain ever stops long enough to hay maybe I can get a few. P.S. they’re avoiding the hog trap!
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know the grass is so tall I drove upon a sounder the other day and thought what was them things moving the grass? Then it dawned on me it was pigs! If this rain ever stops long enough to hay maybe I can get a few. P.S. they’re avoiding the hog trap!
View Quote
We’ve been having the same issue. A few weeks back we got onto a couple sounders in some wheat, and had hogs within kicking distance once the shooting started. Had to shoot out of the high rack last weekend, otherwise we would’ve never seen them in the grass around us.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Friends don't let friends buy ATN.

Really OP, don't do it.  If it did everything the marketing says it did, and looked as beautiful as the marketing says it will, we'd all own them.  Yet none of us do.  There's a reason for that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I spoke to a rep there the other day. Told him I was looking at the LT 2-8x and wanted it to work out to 200yds on pigs.

He kinda hemmed & hawed and said it was a "very entry level" optic and I probably wouldn't be satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Lone star boars on YouTube has alot of reviews of optics and some great hunting videos
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Just put an ATN Thor 4, 2-8x into service last week.

Liking it, so far.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]
It's been a while, so I wanted to bump this for any new information.  I killed 41 pigs on our place from last February through about October...none since.  We still have plenty but coming in at random times.

I never bought any thermal, but my interest is rekindled.  I'm looking to put one one a 16" flat top 5.56 AR for shots at a max at 175 yds.

If my budget is $2,000, what's your recommendation for what's out there?

Thank you everybody!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's been a while, so I wanted to bump this for any new information.  I killed 41 pigs on our place from last February through about October...none since.  We still have plenty but coming in at random times.

I never bought any thermal, but my interest is rekindled.  I'm looking to put one one a 16" flat top 5.56 AR for shots at a max at 175 yds.

If my budget is $2,000, what's your recommendation for what's out there?

Thank you everybody!
View Quote
Get a $6,000.00 credit card put the $2,000.00 on it and get a pulsar, Flir, or IR hunter. Pulsar has one in your price range but I have not played with it. You might rent the cheaper one before you buy. I've seen too many ATN's go back but that being said My ATN NV is going on 20 years for a Gen I+ optic.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Get a $6,000.00 credit card put the $2,000.00 on it and get a pulsar, Flir, or IR hunter. Pulsar has one in your price range but I have not played with it. You might rent the cheaper one before you buy. I've seen too many ATN's go back but that being said My ATN NV is going on 20 years for a Gen I+ optic.
View Quote
I have the cash for a $6,000+ optic if I wanted...I just really don't want to invest that much.  I need something I can step out on the porch and shoot pigs in the pasture at night up to 200 yds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have the cash for a $6,000+ optic if I wanted...I just really don't want to invest that much.  I need something I can step out on the porch and shoot pigs in the pasture at night up to 200 yds.
View Quote
Thermal hunting is like smoking crack... once you start down the rabbit hole, there's no going back LOL.

TNVC and Night Goggles both offer a financing program that I've used twice. First one was a Pulsar Trail XP50 that I paid off a year early. Right now I'm paying down a Trijicon Hunter MK III at $100 a month.

I know people have the "if you have to finance it, you can't afford it" attitude, I tend to agree to a point. I can afford it like you (cash purchase), but financing it and paying it off early helps me manage my "fun money". To me, the extra couple hundred dollars is not big deal over the long run.

I'd highly recommend putting that $2K down on something from Night Goggles or TNVC and get something nice... ok, maybe not Trijicon Hunter Mk III 60mm nice, but you get the point. By buying something nice it just might hold more of it's value should you decide to sell it later on.

If not, look around for a used Pulsar Trail. Even with the zero shift issues, you can always check fire the thermal before a night hunt and adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thermal hunting is like smoking crack... once you start down the rabbit hole, there's no going back LOL.

TNVC and Night Goggles both offer a financing program that I've used twice. First one was a Pulsar Trail XP50 that I paid off a year early. Right now I'm paying down a Trijicon Hunter MK III at $100 a month.

I know people have the "if you have to finance it, you can't afford it" attitude, I tend to agree to a point. I can afford it like you (cash purchase), but financing it and paying it off early helps me manage my "fun money". To me, the extra couple hundred dollars is not big deal over the long run.

I'd highly recommend putting that $2K down on something from Night Goggles or TNVC and get something nice... ok, maybe not Trijicon Hunter Mk III 60mm nice, but you get the point. By buying something nice it just might hold more of it's value should you decide to sell it later on.

If not, look around for a used Pulsar Trail. Even with the zero shift issues, you can always check fire the thermal before a night hunt and adjust accordingly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have a farm card ID number you can write the interest off. Cause it is a specialty item not legal for sport hunting as my accountant informed me. The extra pixel value is really important around livestock. Just My .02c worth.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
The best deal I've found for my need and budget is $1889 from nightgoggles.com for a Pulsar Core RXQ30V (includes a mount).

Thoughts on this one?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The best deal I've found for my need and budget is $1889 from nightgoggles.com for a Pulsar Core RXQ30V (includes a mount).

Thoughts on this one?
View Quote
That doesn't sound bad is it refurbished? It's not going to have a real good image or wide field of view. It would make a good starter then get a 50+mm later and use it for a monocle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered the Pulsar Core RXQ30V from NightGoggles...lots of great reviews for the price point.  It comes with a mount.  Just shy of $2k delivered. We shall see...
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I ordered the Pulsar Core RXQ30V from NightGoggles...lots of great reviews for the price point.  It comes with a mount.  Just shy of $2k delivered. We shall see...
View Quote
Good scope. I shot a pile of critters with that very same thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had my Pulsar for a little while, so I thought I'd follow up.  I'm very happy with it so far.  It absolutely meets/exceeds my expectations.  So far, all I've really seen is a bunch of deer...the hogs have really dried up around here lately.  Regardless, it's fun to watch them at night.  

I was able to sight in in with 3 shots.  Solo cups loaded with warm water at 100 yards are d.r.t. in the pasture.  

The controls are easy to use and I like the picture in picture.  White hot/Black hot work very well.  

I know there are nicer units out there, but for me this fits the bill.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#24]
^^^Good to know. I’ve also been looking at the same model. I don’t think I’d use it enough to justify an expensive one but the ATN’s have such a bad reputation
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#25]

ATN Thor-4, 2-8X

150lb boar at 120yds.

So far, I've been happy with ATN.

Started with the X-Sight II and stuck with them since I knew their menu navigation.

I've had to call them a couple of times with stupid questions and they got me fixed up.

I had talked to one of their guys about the stripped down model (LT). He didn't think I would be happy with it for pig hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top