Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2020 12:34:28 PM EDT
I actually talked about this on the Zello channel, but some of you arent there...yet...
Friday I took a group of Scouts backpacking.  We base camped friday night then did about 10 miles in the Red River Gorge Sat.  I set up my PSR EF 40-20-10 and used my MTR3B.   I was using 2 watts off a 9v battery.  Made contacts from KY to PA,NJ,WI,KS and Ontario.  It was really easy to hear when you are on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere.  Most of the time someone was calling CQ and when I answered they came back with my call correct first time.  Had 2 where I had to say my call again.  All operating was done on 40m.  Worked one POTA and a few SKCC stations.  It was a great time.  Then the rain started.  Heaviest storm I have ever camped in.  Lightning, downpour...all the tent people got wet.  I slept like a baby.

If you don't backpack, it's a great way to get away.  If you like radio and the outdoors, it's a great excuse to learn CW.  QRP is amazing.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a really steep hill you camped on.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool! thanks for the write up. I need to learn cw...
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice pics, Ed.  Really looks like you had a great time.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a lot easier than most people think. It does require discipline and dedication.
There're plenty of online sites and apps that will help you learn, and W1AW offers extensive MP3 files to practice with. CLICK HERE
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's a lot easier than most people think. It does require discipline and dedication.
There're plenty of online sites and apps that will help you learn, and W1AW offers extensive MP3 files to practice with. CLICK HERE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I practice with an iambic key so I get the proper spacing ingrained into my brain and do it at 13 wpm. I used the keys on the key board to practice. Then I was able to bang out 13 wpm while reading a random paragraph real time from a book or website.

But I still only hear it very very slowly. I struggle at 4 wmp listening. I have tried listening a lot. I have some words down like CQ, and DE, 73 ,TU,5NN, but only get the first 2 characters of a call sign and the rest are gone by the time my brain hears the first 2 letters.

Any suggestions other than just keep at it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
This is specifically why I want to learn CW.  So cool to do.

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I practice with an iambic key so I get the proper spacing ingrained into my brain and do it at 13 wpm. I used the keys on the key board to practice. Then I was able to bang out 13 wpm while reading a random paragraph real time from a book or website.

But I still only hear it very very slowly. I struggle at 4 wmp listening. I have tried listening a lot. I have some words down like CQ, and DE, 73 ,TU,5NN, but only get the first 2 characters of a call sign and the rest are gone by the time my brain hears the first 2 letters.

View Quote

Hi Mach, In some seriousness, one must relax into the process. If you try too hard, the characters all begin to slip away. Try some morning copy practice, don't wait to long into the morning, your brain runs at a more relaxed rate (alpha level) in the morning as you awaken.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hi Mach, In some seriousness, one must relax into the process. If you try too hard, the characters all begin to slip away. Try some morning copy practice, don't wait to long into the morning, your brain runs at a more relaxed rate (alpha level) in the morning as you awaken.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks, I will try that.

But my brain in the morning pretty much runs at the off level until I get a cup of coffee or 5
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ok thanks, I will try that.

But my brain in the morning pretty much runs at the off level until I get a cup of coffee or 5
View Quote

A good practice mechanism is handwriting your characters before you do any copy practice.  Write the alpha and the dit/dah down the whole alphabet;
A  .-
B  _...
C  -.-.

After a few sessions and it becomes a 'no brainer' do it backwards;

.-  A
-... B
-.-. C

Don't burn yourself out on copy practice, go with 5-10 minute copy sessions and try to practice on 5 character intersperse (mix of numbers and letters).  Don't jump into copying callups and/or simulated traffic, build confidence in your ability to copy.

So each session, handwrite your characters first and then do copy practice.  You'll find yourself referencing your handwritten list less and less over time.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top