Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2022 3:04:54 PM EDT
This has been going on for 3 or 4 days now.  It's nothing I've got running at the QTH.  I ran the radio off of a battery and turned off the main circuit breaker.  No change.  Butternut vertical or EFHW, both the same.

I can't hear a damn thing unless the other station is running some power and even then, I'm hearing very few.  I hardly bother to turn on the radio anymore.  

If this is Putin's fault...
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to grab a portable AM radio and go for a walk about.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not even sure I've got a portable AM radio anymore
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
QRM eliminator. There are several utube videos on these, and some reviews on websites. It might do the trick for you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably in the neighborhood somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Pole transformer going bad in the neighborhood?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've noticed this suddenly being reported from all over the country on various groups, boards, facebook groups etc... Something has been put into use lately that is causing all this shit. I see it mainly in the 24-26 MHz area with lessening harmonics across all bands. It seems to be focused around the amateur bands. I assume whatever it is uses those ranges because they know nobody at the FCC will care if they trash amateur bands and there's nothing that can be done about it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Any big new appliance boxes out at the neighbor's curb?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does your vehicle have AM on the radio? Use it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Might be a solar charge controller.  Any new solar installations?  Even a simple small battery charger can do this if close enough to you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Might be a solar charge controller.  Any new solar installations?  Even a simple small battery charger can do this if close enough to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I thought my Brother-in-Law might be using his antique battery charger, but I think the squirrel finally died.  No solar installs that I've seen.

Quoted:
QRM eliminator. There are several utube videos on these, and some reviews on websites. It might do the trick for you.
I was looking at those the other day.  I think there is also a kit that you can build.  Maybe...

Quoted:

Does your vehicle have AM on the radio? Use it.
Yes, and I'm going to give that a try.  Wish I still had my Archer Space Patrol walkie-talkies! They'd be perfect!

eta:  I'm also going to try taking the 7300 and an EFHW antenna and setting up in another area to see if there is any change.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen stuff like that from grid-tied solar, looks very similar to the hash from household switching power supplies.

Quoted:
I've noticed this suddenly being reported from all over the country on various groups, boards, facebook groups etc... Something has been put into use lately that is causing all this shit. I see it mainly in the 24-26 MHz area with lessening harmonics across all bands. It seems to be focused around the amateur bands. I assume whatever it is uses those ranges because they know nobody at the FCC will care if they trash amateur bands and there's nothing that can be done about it.
View Quote

Near me guys started picking up a ton of noise off of power lines after a new solar farm went online. Noise is pretty bad 10~15 miles away if you follow the power lines that are connected to the solar farm.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Might be a grow light....
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Used the AM radio in the truck to listen for any interference when I came home from work this morning.  Other than the powerlines as I passed under them, I didn't hear much of anything in the area.  And nothing at all from the driveway where I park.

I'm wondering if it's this thing.  It's at the other end of the building and only about 15' from the Butternut antenna.

Grant PUD installed it a few years ago.  AFAIK, it's never been a problem before, and I don't know that it even could be the issue, but maybe it's going T/U.  Can't get any closer with the truck and no portable radio to check with.

Could the NIC in this meter cause the interference I'm seeing?

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

As cheap as small AM/FM battery operated radios are, it completely boggles my mind that so many people don't have at least one. They're only a few dollars. Hell, I'll bet even some of the preppers with their ChiCom Bing-o-phoom HTs don't have them.
If When a massive disaster occurs, they are going to be up the creek. Most radio stations, even some of the small ones, have some kind of backup power and will be transmitting information regarding the emergency. There's a good chance the internet/cell phone infrastructure will also be affected.

I don't even know how many I have, a couple of them even dating back to the '50s, and they still work.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Might be a grow light....
View Quote

Ha so true!   I used to drive by an old large house that had the attic windows covered with black plastic inside.  My AM radio in the car would span out until I was a few hundred yards down the road.  After the guy that lived there died of a heart attack I heard my suspicions were right.  Grow lights and pot plants.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Used the AM radio in the truck to listen for any interference when I came home from work this morning.  Other than the powerlines as I passed under them, I didn't hear much of anything in the area.  And nothing at all from the driveway where I park.

I'm wondering if it's this thing.  It's at the other end of the building and only about 15' from the Butternut antenna.

https://i.imgur.com/AEObzqw.jpg

Grant PUD installed it a few years ago.  AFAIK, it's never been a problem before, and I don't know that it even could be the issue, but maybe it's going T/U.  Can't get any closer with the truck and no portable radio to check with.

View Quote

Veeder Root gas pump monitor network systems would absolutely block a band in the VHF gov section, police car radios were absolutely jammed in the gas station parking lot if the freq was close to the Veeder Root computer talking to the pumps.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
This is my go-to emergency radio, a Sangean DT-400W. It costs more than most pocket radios, but it also has the NOAA WX channels. It's rugged, sensitive, and has a speaker. The AM reception compares well to that of a full size AM/FM table radio.

The one downside is that because of its small size, it doesn't have a telescoping antenna for the FM and WX bands. Either headphones or a supplied wire antenna must be plugged into the headphone jack for them to receive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this area, there is something really, really strong at 14.230. After doing a lot of driving around and checking things, it appears to be coming from a medical imaging building. The sound it makes reminds me of the last couple of times I've had an MRI.

Back during the Great Texas Deep Freeze of 2021, having all the power out in the area was glorious for low-noise ham radio work.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
@planemaker
14.230 used to be slow scan amateur television. If there is a dirty TX around it needs to be fixed.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/AEObzqw.jpg

View Quote
Silver Springs Network's parent Company is Itron.    They normally don't operate in our bands but something could be going squirrely with their TX/RX on the "smart meter".   SSN and the FCC would both be interested, well at least SSN or your local utility would be, FCC only if they could abstract fine $$ from SSN/Itron.  But those meter's tend to be fairly robust and not be of cheap manufacture where high levels of stray RF are the norm.

Any Chinese folks recently purchased land around you where they could setup a Huawei 5 G antenna to intercept Mil comms traffic?   LOL
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Friend of mine is going through the same problem.
He's narrowed it down to a 69kv transmission line.

Edit: The line was put in 15 years ago, must be a bad/dirty insulator or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]
What I saw on his screen shots of the 7300 IS NOT power line noise. It may be distributed by the power lines but it is NOT a leaky insulator.  It is "something".  Could be solar, could be grow lights or could be any switch mode power supply. I had a switch mode power supply go bad and although it worked for many years just fine, when it went south it put out RF from DC to Daylight, and I mean a LOT of it. I know I should have kept it, but I threw it away thinking it would get out of my hands accidently and be plugged in somewhere. I truly think you could have keyed it with a CW key and made "spark" contacts with it. I have never seen so much broadband RFI come out of such a small box.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#24]
This was about an hour ago.  Interference is from OTH radar in Asia/Asiatic Russia, according to the QSO in progress.  Gone now, though.

eta: I don't think the interference I first posted about has completely disappeared, but it seems to have faded away for the time being.  Never did track down where it is/was coming from, but I don't think it was in the immediate area.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Putin!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top