Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2021 11:14:45 AM EDT
Hunt in MI. Shots are typically inside or right around 100yds but could reach out to just under 200yds in some areas of my property. Currently use a .270 Win bolt action Ruger M77 MK II.

I wear electronic ear muffs now to protect my hearing.  Would like to build the quietest suppressed rifle I can.

Must be stainless and factory threaded. Outside of that I have no real hard requirements.

What rifle, caliber, and suppressor would you recommend?  ??
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
300 blackout with supersonic bullets is still very quiet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
View Quote

True. And within you range parameters would be fine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By d16man:
I use my 6.8spc or my 12.5" 308.  With the 308 you can shoot subs which are a little quieter.  Are you wanting a bolt action or a semi like a. AR?  Bolt will be quieter also.

6.8:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/14971172020951959552577-227386.jpg

308:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20180823_203440-649068.jpg
View Quote

Could go either but probably bolt action would be preferred.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Any thoughts on 350 Legend suppressed?
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
300 blk for the win!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The main thing to reduce noise is the suppressor. Do you have one already?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Former11BRAVO] [#8]
Not being legal to use my R-25 .308 in PA is one of the reasons I'm building my 6.5 CM. I've got just over $1,200 in it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
This is just my thoughts, but since the lower half of MI is straight wall only, and you only need 200yds of range I'd build something legal in the lower half.

I.E. 450 bushmaster or similar.

I have suppressed .450 (AR) and .444 Marlin (AK) deer rifles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a used  Ruger American Predator 18” in .308 off of EE. I added a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen2. It’s hearing safe and a very capable setup.

I’ve been contemplating chopping the barrel down in 16.5” to make it even handier and lighter.  

My longest shot where I hunt is 230 yards which is nothing for .308

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m sure you can ask him for whatever caliber you’d like to have.  

This gun has my internet, but I’d like it in 308 just because I’m already invested in the caliber.  

He is an active member here, if you didn’t know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cheekibreeki:
The main thing to reduce noise is the suppressor. Do you have one already?
View Quote

No. This would be my first.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
I’m sure you can ask him for whatever caliber you’d like to have.  

This gun has my internet, but I’d like it in 308 just because I’m already invested in the caliber.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpi0A0ZiIJY

He is an active member here, if you didn’t know.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quietest sub 200 yard deer rifle?  Get a bolt action 300 Blackout and a Dead Air Nomad TI silencer.  I have this set up with a Remington Model 7, which is not stainless.  It is unbelievably quiet.  Do not let anyone talk you into a semi auto, if you want the quietest you can get you want a bolt action.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
Quietest sub 200 yard deer rifle?  Get a bolt action 300 Blackout and a Dead Air Nomad TI silencer.  I have this set up with a Remington Model 7, which is not stainless.  It is unbelievably quiet.  Do not let anyone talk you into a semi auto, if you want the quietest you can get you want a bolt action.
View Quote

Thank you I'll look into this!  Yes I figured a bolt would have to be quieter than a semi...
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#16]
Originally Posted By Hunter8282:

Thank you!
View Quote

You are welcome.  

I should have mentioned why I think that rifle is so compelling.

In the video he gives the round used. He gives the weight of the projectile with the muzzle velocity.  You can calculate terminal ballistics from that.  A lot of integrally suppressed rifles bleed off way too much velocity to be of any hunting use.

What I don’t know, which is very important, is accuracy.  In my very limited experience with integrally suppressed rifles, is that accuracy isn’t the best.  My knowledge is old with no name barrels.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Shot a bolt action in 6.5 CM  that was WAY  quieter than I thought it would be.  I can't remember what can was on it but it didn't make my ears ring at all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Callahan:
I bought a used  Ruger American Predator 18” in .308 off of EE. I added a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen2. It’s hearing safe and a very capable setup.

I’ve been contemplating chopping the barrel down in 16.5” to make it even handier and lighter.  

My longest shot where I hunt is 230 yards which is nothing for .308

View Quote

I cut a American in 6.5cm down to 16.5 for suppressor use. Put a Timney trigger in and bedded the action into a Boyd’s laminate stock. I run it 100% suppressed; it’s killed quite a few deer and hogs. I mainly built it for my nephew when to use but my wife has taken it over.

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By clharr:

I cut a American in 6.5cm down to 16.5 for suppressor use. Put a Timney trigger in and bedded the action into a Boyd’s laminate stock. I run it 100% suppressed; it’s killed quite a few deer and hogs. I mainly built it for my nephew when to use but my wife has taken it over.
https://i.imgur.com/KbokZl1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IBG19gp.jpg
View Quote

Nice! What suppressor?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice! What suppressor?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/KbokZl1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IBG19gp.jpg

Nice! What suppressor?

AAC 30cal SD.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#21]

AAC 30cal SD.
https://i.imgur.com/dM8mmaj.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Tikka CTR is one of the few factory threaded stainless bolt actions out there. It’s also a really nice rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WI-2021] [#23]
What's your budget?  As far as chambering, I went with .308 for very similar applications.  For the rifle, Ruger makes a stainless scout, or there's the Christiansen Ridgeline or Ridgeline Scout.  Not sure about other S/S options that are threaded.  For the can, Dead Air Nomad LT, CGS Hyperion, or TBAC just announced a new one called the Magnus.  It's not on their website yet, but there's a thread about it in the Silencer forum in the Armory.  TBAC also has the Ultra 9 and Dominus, but if you're looking for maximum suppression, The Nomad LT, Hyperion, and Magnus look to be the top of the heap currently.

My hunting rig last year was a 16" Ruger Scout with a Dead Air Sandman S on it.  Length was good, but it was a bit of a chunky setup, about 10 lbs loaded and ready to roll.  The Sandman wasn't the best choice for hunting, but it's what I had.  It's heavy, not especially quiet, but it's durable.  It's a good suppressor that I forced into the wrong role.

The Ruger has its pro's and con's, but it's also a little heavy, and a bit clunky.  After using a bunch of different rifles over the years, I had a pretty good idea what I wanted, so I decided to throw any semblance of a budget out the window and get it.  The Ruger isn't a bad rifle, but there were a few things I didn't like, mainly the weight, and the AICS magazines.  I also wasn't a big fan of the scout scope concept, but that was easily remedied by removing the rear sight and rail, and putting a normal scope on it.  Mine is incredibly accurate.

For the new rifle, I ended up going custom, since I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a lefty rifle.  Waiting on parts now; it'll be a while.  I looked at the Ridgeline, but I wanted a little shorter barrel than the 20" that it comes with.  They don't offer the Ridgeline Scout in a LH version.

I chose the Nomad LT for the suppressor, since it's the only one of the three that gives you mounting options and Silencershop had a free tax stamp deal.  Not sure if that's still going on, I ordered mine about a month ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#24]
My 16" 6.8 was my dedicated deer rifle and has been for many years. It's Thor's hammer at less than 200 yards. I did build a 350 Legend and 450 BM for straight wall case requirements in MD but moved shortly after and never got a chance to use them. Both were SBR length so they were quite handy in the thick brush when I did get a chance to carry them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#25]
300 BLK Handi Rifle for me. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
There are plenty of options out there. I took an inexpensive Savage 11 XP youth rifle in .308, had the barrel cut to 16.25" and threaded, and added a YHM .308 can.

I took deer with it easily until my son tried it and now he won't use anything else. I've watched him shoot deer in the field several times (50-200 yds), the one he targeted drops and the others look up for a couple of seconds and go back to feeding.

Short, quiet, inexpensive, and potent... a great combination.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Tvolt:
There are plenty of options out there. I took an inexpensive Savage 11 XP youth rifle in .308, had the barrel cut to 16.25" and threaded, and added a YHM .308 can.

I took deer with it easily until my son tried it and now he won't use anything else. I've watched him shoot deer in the field several times (50-200 yds), the one he targeted drops and the others look up for a couple of seconds and go back to feeding.

View Quote

This was my experience as well.  I shot my doe at about 75 yards.  The first shot did the job, but she didn't realize it right away, so I hit her again.  The other two does that were with her didn't know what was going on.  They didn't run off until I stood up.  I could have easily taken another one from the group if I'd been so inclined.  That was my first deer with a suppressed rifle and I was a bit surprised.  In my experience, they always run when you fire the first unsuppressed shot at shorter ranges.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Tvolt:

View Quote

I can't imagine sitting at the dinner table and a dude next to me gets popped in the face.   Looking around and going back to my mashed potatoes.  

I'm looking for the recently announced Savage 110 PCS in 223.  Its a pistol and I want the barrel contoured for an AEM5.  It'll be a fun gun, maybe practical, but definitely fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 1:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#30]
For caliber, I'd shy away from the 300blk.  It might be the quietest (if your ears could tell a difference) but I find it lacking in the 5 deer i've shot with it and barnes bullets out of 16" and 9" ars, distances 125-307yrds.  If set on ar15 length cartridges step up to 6.8 or 6.5G.  We have been hammering deer with the 6.5G and it just performs with sst bullets whether in pistols or rifles.

16" 6.5C and 308 work very well on deer to 300.  I've used a suppressed 16" ar10 in 308 with 125sst's on several.  Currently I'm using a 16" 6.5C with 129 interlocks with great results on 5.  I've taken my two biggest deer with these 2 setups at 140 and 200 yards.  

A 16" factory threaded rifle in stainless maybe hard to find.  My 16" bolt gun is a TC Compass gen 2 compact in 6.5C.  Threaded, 5r rifling, moa guarantee, detachable mag, adjustable trigger, 60 degree bolt throw for $350, less if they are running a rebate. I've got safes full of rifles and this is my hands down favorite for deer hunting.  Suppressed it is shorter than a 24" rifle.  It balances perfect suppressed and carries so well.  It holds moa to 400 on the range.

Hearing safe is great but it's second to quickly and ethically putting down game.  Not to say the 308 and 6.5 wasn't hearing safe. I find them fine suppressed without hearing protection.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the input so far.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

This.   A 300bo bolt would be a solid choice, paired with 110g Barnes Blacktip.   Put down everything I’ve ever shot with it.  Or a Ruger American in 7.62 x 39.   Similar ballistics profile.  

As far as a can, go with a 308 can.   You get trade off for everything though.  
Cost
Size
Weight

Pick two then move on it.  I would also highly recommend a quick detach can as opposed to thread on.  

I have two 308 cans- yhm Phantom (heavy , doesnt use space age materials for tech, cheap) and a Dead air Sandman S (light, smaller more costly )
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:01:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shortround] [#33]
I put together a 350 Legend Ruger American Ranch with the Leupold Freedom 350 3x9 scope.  I have a couple of options for suppressors, but I have a SiCo 36M in jail.  Probably be summer before that's in my hands.  I tried it with my Bowers 458, but it was a little louder than I had hoped.  Still for a 200 yard rifle here in Michigan, a couple of rounds actually hunting won't be bad.  The 36M should be even better.  If the big C holds off and I don't get the Covid, I hope to be able to go hunting one more time this November.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

I use a very similar setup.  1/7 twist AAC handi-rifle in 300BLK.  Ultra Nine can.  Shot about 10 deer with it; with bullets made to expand in the 900 fps range.  Had only one bullet not pass thru.  It is super quiet.  It is light and handi.  It kills the deer just fine.  I probably will use this setup the rest of my life in white tail country.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#35]

I posted this in another thread, but this is my “bolt-action” 8.3” 450 Bushmaster on a BRN-180 SBR lower.
Great Treestand gun, but the short barrel brought it down past where the 450 usually shines velocity wise.

Sounds good with 425grain subs, but I shot three deer this season using supersonic XTP’s.

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Ruger GSR with a 16” barrel. I’m in the process of swapping out the laminate stock for a synthetic which is supposed to shave about a pound.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
For caliber, I'd shy away from the 300blk.  It might be the quietest (if your ears could tell a difference) but I find it lacking in the 5 deer i've shot with it and barnes bullets out of 16" and 9" ars, distances 125-307yrds.  If set on ar15 length cartridges step up to 6.8 or 6.5G.  We have been hammering deer with the 6.5G and it just performs with sst bullets whether in pistols or rifles.

16" 6.5C and 308 work very well on deer to 300.  I've used a suppressed 16" ar10 in 308 with 125sst's on several.  Currently I'm using a 16" 6.5C with 129 interlocks with great results on 5.  I've taken my two biggest deer with these 2 setups at 140 and 200 yards.  

A 16" factory threaded rifle in stainless maybe hard to find.  My 16" bolt gun is a TC Compass gen 2 compact in 6.5C.  Threaded, 5r rifling, moa guarantee, detachable mag, adjustable trigger, 60 degree bolt throw for $350, less if they are running a rebate. I've got safes full of rifles and this is my hands down favorite for deer hunting.  Suppressed it is shorter than a 24" rifle.  It balances perfect suppressed and carries so well.  It holds moa to 400 on the range.

Hearing safe is great but it's second to quickly and ethically putting down game.  Not to say the 308 and 6.5 wasn't hearing safe. I find them fine suppressed without hearing protection.
View Quote

Came here to post this. Grendel is better than BLK in my opinion. Burns about the same amount of powder, better ballistics, bullets better tailored to varying hunting conditions. Bolt action suppressed Grendel is straight up quiet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KO21outdoors] [#38]
Edit: Reposted below tagging OP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Hunter8282:.
View Quote

OP, I'm looking into basically this same quandary. I've had some trouble finding factory options as well. None of these are stainless but they are shorter threaded barrels from the factory:

Howa 1500 makes a 16.25" but in 6.5CM it is 1/10 twist (too slow IMO) for around $550 if you can find one.
Ruger American Hunter is 18" in 6.5CM and .308 for around ~$750-800. The 18" isn't stainless but it is grey cerakote so it has great rust prevention from factory.
Sig Cross 18" .308 or 20" 6.5CM coming in around ~$1500-$1700. Chassis style, folding adjustable buttstock. Pretty sick, just spendy.
That's about it. Tikka makes their CTR in a stainless but they are 20" bull barrels from factory and are I think like 10lbs without scope and suppressor? So too heavy IMO for a hunting rig that you may or may not hike around much. Also around the $1100 mark I believe. Not a ton of options.

I considered just picking up a used Ruger American or American Predator, getting the barrel chopped, re-crowned, threaded, adding a thread adaptor (because they don't have enough shoulder left after threading for most suppressors to seat well to), and cerakoted but you're looking at a ~$400+ aftermarket expense there. So used Ruger for ~$400 (or less, ideally) with these extras puts you ~$800 for the rig with the factory stock.

One last option would be rebarreling an existing or used action. I haven't looked as much into aftermarket short barrels for the 6.5CM yet (the cartridge I decided to go with for this exact same setup) but I'm sure there's a decent selection around that 16-18" range for around the same price as getting a longer barrel cut a prepped.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By clharr: 16.5" Ruger American, Boyds Heritage Forest Laminate, AAC 30cal SD, scope, & bipod
View Quote

What does your rig weigh? I'm looking at doing something very very very similar to this.
Did you have to get a thread adapter to have enough shoulder to thread the suppressor up to? Talked to a local gunsmith and he said he could put 5/8x24 threads on the standard American or Predator barrel but I'd have to get an adapter that had more shoulder surface area to seat the suppressor up agains when I threaded it on.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By KO21outdoors:

What does your rig weigh? I'm looking at doing something very very very similar to this.
Did you have to get a thread adapter to have enough shoulder to thread the suppressor up to? Talked to a local gunsmith and he said he could put 5/8x24 threads on the standard American or Predator barrel but I'd have to get an adapter that had more shoulder surface area to seat the suppressor up agains when I threaded it on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KO21outdoors:
Originally Posted By clharr: 16.5" Ruger American, Boyds Heritage Forest Laminate, AAC 30cal SD, scope, & bipod

I’ve never weighed it but would guess 8-9lbs a bit less without a bipod.

The predators come threaded already so once it’s cut down you have even more material to work with. I can see possibly needing a adapter on the standard American though. I originally had one but sold it and got the predator for that reason.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By shortround:
I put together a 350 Legend Ruger American Ranch with the Leupold Freedom 350 3x9 scope.  I have a couple of options for suppressors, but I have a SiCo 36M in jail.  Probably be summer before that's in my hands.  I tried it with my Bowers 458, but it was a little louder than I had hoped.  Still for a 200 yard rifle here in Michigan, a couple of rounds actually hunting won't be bad.  The 36M should be even better.  If the big C holds off and I don't get the Covid, I hope to be able to go hunting one more time this November.
View Quote

You’ll love the 350 in the 36M
I have a 12.5 350 upper that I’m selling that’s nice and shhhh
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#43]
200yd and in.  6.8 or 6.5 small frame.

Bolt gun the world is your oyster. I’d set out to do a short barrel 18” and lightweight in a medium cartridge like 308 or 243 and you can get a bigger cartridge for the same weight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm impressed with how quiet my Henry X-Bolt .30-30 is suppressed.

I use a YHM PHantom Ti on it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Way late to the party, but I’d second those recommending against blackout. I have one in both bolt and semi flavors, and it never goes into the woods with me.

Why sell yourself short on caliber? I went with a 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini, and I love it. If you ever decide to stretch it out, it gives you that option. Took a pronghorn at 284 yards with mine.

[/URL][/img]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I went with 300BLK but shots have been under 50 yards. This combo works for me.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#47]
My Ruger American in 243 with a 30 cal can works just fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Sig Cross is hard to beat, especially if you do a lot of walking on steep terrain.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#49]
My hunting rig is a 12” 6.5 Grendel with a YHM resonator.   Enough can to make my ears happy in the blind but package is small enough I can get it in a tree or conceal it in blind.  Also light enough.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I would do .308 for the many choices of factory ammunition available. Will hammer any whitetail well past 200 yards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top