Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2022 6:39:41 PM EDT
So I have been buying a lot of Sardines lately. They make them in a bunch of varieties from Louisiana hot sauce, green chiles, mustard, olive oil, to just water. It seems like they are pretty cheap per ounce compared to a lot of other canned meats and they give you the bonus of the vitamins and minerals that come in the particular sauces. I have plenty of tuna, spam, your typical beans, and random cans of other meats, but I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas for proteins besides the usuals?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Kirkland’s canned roast beef and pulled pork
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I was into the sardines a couple years ago. I still keep many cans of the king Oscars.

Recently I found the starkist yellowfin packed in evoo to be really good and have added a bunch of those. It's the best canned tuna I've ever had aside from home made canned fresh albacore. I also keep a few dozen cans of Rubenstein's canned alaskan red salmon you can get at Walmart it is just like the fresh stuff we canned ourselves right in Cordova AK.  Dak ham is another favorite that is far better than spam. The canned chicken chunks are good and versatile as well as the keystone beef.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You're gonna want variety
sardines
tuna ALBACORE, tuna sux
spam
salmon
sliced beef kirklands pretty good
pulled chicken kirklands too as it's far better than chicken of the sea chicken and others
I also store cans of pork and beef from Yoders and Survival Cave
and a few cans of tactical bacon
lastly, we really like the Thrive Life freeze dried stuff and keep quite a bit to mix in
to the beans and rice stores
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I do also have a few packs of the Kirkland canned chicken as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There's an extensive conversation about this somewhere on the forum already.

That being said, Riga Sprats are awesome!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Just be sure to look for the country of origin. A LOT OF STUFF IS COMING FROM CHINA. And they are running the largest fleet of illegal fisheries ships all over the world. Ruining large swaths of fish stocks around the world.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's an extensive conversation about this somewhere on the forum already.

That being said, Riga Sprats are awesome!!
View Quote
Ok thank you I thought I was having a stroke thinking this feels so familiar. That thread had a ton of pictures and taste tests.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Costco has two varieties of sardines both are very good and an economical way to buy.

I also stock up on the canned tuna and salmon at costco.  98% of the fish I eat is canned.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#9]
In addition to Tuna, Spam, and Salmon I get Wild Pacific Mackerel

https://wildplanetfoods.com/products/pacific-mackerel

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out kippered herring as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My mom grew up in the Depression-WWII era and passed a lot of her knowledge and recipes down to me. One thing I LOVE is her Depression-era recipe for salmon croquettes. Can of salmon, flour (usually two heaping tablespoons, black pepper to taste, and water to make a thick paste. Fry in a skillet with a small amount of oil, eat while hot. The cool thing is that you can feed more people by simply adding more flour and water.

edit:   For better taste, use milk instead of water, 1/2 cup per 2 heaping tablespoons of flour.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just be sure to look for the country of origin. A LOT OF STUFF IS COMING FROM CHINA. And they are running the largest fleet of illegal fisheries ships all over the world. Ruining large swaths of fish stocks around the world.
View Quote

This, and YES, what China is doing to the oceans is an absolute crime.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Canned chicken was just marked up 77% today. Just a FYI.
77% Food Inflation just hit me and you...Do not believe the government numbers...LIES and MORE LIES
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve been buying and drinking liquid egg whites, it’s pasteurized and tastes like sugar water.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Check out kippered herring as well.
View Quote

Delectable.  

And I find mackerel to be under-rated.  It's mild, is almost a white-fish, and can have an almost buttery taste or texture at times.  It's a great option to add variety to your canned fish stock.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Jarred and canned salmon last a long time.

Just do not get/do pinks.

Wife and her parents normally jar silver,king and chum salmon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I have several cases of delicious Genova tuna (Amazon) as well as several cases of Season Mackerel (Wild caught. Walmart I think for $2 can and delicious)

Both are great to eat but the advantage is these can be used to feed the kitties if their food runs out which is currently happening in the US)

Also have dozens each of the Costco Chicken and Beef.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m a fan of smoked oysters. Most are from China, but Trader Joe’s house brand is from S. Korea and you can really taste the difference. Their smoked trout is phenomenal too. They are my two main seafood preps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m a fan of smoked oysters. Most are from China, but Trader Joe’s house brand is from S. Korea and you can really taste the difference. Their smoked trout is phenomenal too. They are my two main seafood preps.
View Quote

Yes, the Trader Joe’s tinned smoked trout is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also like the Kirland brand.
I have been upgrading the meats and fish I store.
Added Roast beef and pork.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been stocking up on Spam, Tuna and Alabacore from Sam's.  I got into the RitAide Dak ham sale for $3 each; they should arrive today, hopefully unscathed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been stocking up on Spam, Tuna and Alabacore from Sam's.  I got into the RitAide Dak ham sale for $3 each; they should arrive today, hopefully unscathed.
View Quote

My Dak hams came in day before yesterday in perfect condition.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

China asshoe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never see Kirkland canned roast beef or called pork - which section do you find it in?  I have a lot of their canned tuna, salmon and chicken put back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super!  There have reports of some arriving unprotected inside the box and some of the cans damaged and dented.  Not enough to breach the seal, but enough that they can't be counted on for long term storage.

What are your date codes?

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine today.  One had a dent, nothing major, shouldn't be a problem.  They were very well packed and protected.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Super!  There have reports of some arriving unprotected inside the box and some of the cans damaged and dented.  Not enough to breach the seal, but enough that they can't be counted on for long term storage.

What are your date codes?

View Quote

Produced 11/30/2020 best by 11/30/2025

Mine were packed with a bunch of packing paper. I got 10 so maybe my box was more full and they didnt move around as much? Also the place they shipped from was only about 2 hours away. That might have helped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top