Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2018 11:53:52 AM EDT
Hoping to glean some info on how to plumb the propane supply for a small, vent-free propane heater. It's a Mr. Heater unvented, model is MHVFBF30LPBT. 30K BTU.

What I'd like to do is feed it from an external tank, outside of the house that is,and plumb it myself. I'd also like to employ the CSST piping inside the house. It will be a short run, maybe 25 feet to the wall.

What I can't quite grasp is mechanics of it. From the propane tank to the house should I use copper tubing? CSST? Black iron? I'll have to go through a brick/cinderblock wall to reach the inside of the house.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a few crappy pics I sent to the insurance agent after install. The run from the propane tank is copper. The copper line is adapted to black pipe outside the house. A shutoff valve and gas hose meet code.

There also needs to be a trap and cleanout connection installed on the heater which is similar to your unit.

It's not a difficult install and all the needed parts were readily available at the hardware store. Hope this helps and oh, make sure to test all the connections with soapy water when done.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to have mine installed and then inspected by the county inspectors prior to use (gas stove).  It's copper from the tank all the way to the stove except for that little bit of flexible metal tubing from the stove to where the tubing comes through the outside wall.

Just saying, in Chesterfield County VA copper is okay.  Not sure how long it will last.  The county regs. here are pretty darn "tight' when it comes to additions, upgrades, etc.  They don't allow the tank to be within 10 or 15 feet of the house (on inspected/approved installations) so it's a pretty long run of copper.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah copper will last a lifetime and it's fine if code allows it. The copper run from my tank to the house is 40 yrs old and will pass the leakdown test. Someone decided black pipe is better inside around here but they're a lot smarter than me.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hoping to glean some info on how to plumb the propane supply for a small, vent-free propane heater. It's a Mr. Heater unvented, model is MHVFBF30LPBT. 30K BTU.

What I'd like to do is feed it from an external tank, outside of the house that is,and plumb it myself. I'd also like to employ the CSST piping inside the house. It will be a short run, maybe 25 feet to the wall.

What I can't quite grasp is mechanics of it. From the propane tank to the house should I use copper tubing? CSST? Black iron? I'll have to go through a brick/cinderblock wall to reach the inside of the house.

Thanks.
View Quote
What size tank?

What many people do now days is install black iron pipe inside. Run a stub put outside and put a second stage regulator on that stub out. Then, install a first stage regulator on the tank. Run risers underground on both ends and connect then with gas rated poly pipe.

Alternatively you can install copper underground since its a low draw appliance and it's a relatively short run.

If you install CSST pipe indoors it is supposed to be grounded to the house main panel.

Don't run CSST underground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top