Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2022 7:00:22 PM EDT
I’m looking to get a camping stove and I’d like to use my propane tank. I know you can convert them but I’d like to get a quality stove that does a good job and will last a long time of fun camping. I’d use it for car camping. I looked into Coleman 413g anywhere from $25-50 but I don’t know what to look for. Any other suggestions? I don’t need anything super fancy, I just want something that will light, cook, and last for most scenario and maybe a couple of extreme situations(mainly wind and maybe some rain although I’d figure out a better way in the rain). Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
When you say "tank" do you mean 1 lb, 20 lb, 500 gallon?

I have a camp chef 2 burner I'm very happy with running off 20 lbers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.coleman.com/grills-stoves/camping-stoves/multi-burner/classic-propane-stove/SP_271625.html

Runs of the little green 1lb bottles and is quick and easy.  Get a griddle to out on ot for easy bacon and eggs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The dual fuel are great but require getting ideally white gas. Pumping & priming, but can handle pump motor gas. Work great in cold & altitude. If you are going to do lots of camping and don’t mind the slightly more complicated fuel this is the better performing for all conditions choice and cheaper to operate option.

Propane is more convenient by far, but doesn’t do high altitude & cold as well. If you get the bigger tanks that you refill can be very cheap to run but you might need a filter/regulator but I’m not sure.

If you are just a casual car camper it’s hard to go wrong with a propane Coleman stove.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Coleman two burner with push button ignition (one side is a regular burner, other burner has a grill which is perfect for hot dogs).  You can use the little propane bottles or buy the hose/adapter and use a larger tank.  

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camping-Classic-Tabletop-Propane/dp/B09WDKNGYZ

Edit - burner, not burger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be using the 20lb propane tank. I’ve got a few for the grill at home.

I like the idea of white gas because it works in all types of weather. Seems like a lot of people like the Coleman for camping. How do the new ones hold up against the older ones? As stated previously, there are plenty of 1960s Coleman’s that run on white gas going for 20-50 bucks so obviously that sounds like a good deal to me. I don’t mind buying a newer one. Seems like everyone has good things to say about them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Camp Chef Everest
2x 20,000BTU burners
Most Colemans burn a lot cooler.

Still heavily discounted at $72

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Camp Chef Everest
2x 20,000BTU burners

www.amazon.com/dp/B004S3HDBO
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This

Quoted:

This

I just bought this one on this sale.

It is sweet, just buy the adapter hose for 20 lb tank.

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I like those prices. How would you say the quality of the Everest compares to a Coleman or something else? I was reading some reviews and some people love them and others dislike it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking for a Coleman dual fuel...here is a 414 (medium stove) for $40 plus $19.95 shipping. Not as many BTU's as the Camp Chef. Like was stated above, superior to propane in cost and better in cold weather. You can also add a propane conversion for around $25 if you want to go that route as well.

This stove is $230 new.

Coleman 414
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Propane works just fine in cold weather and at altitude. But, you will have some problems with the 1 lb propane bottles if you pull a lot of BTUs quickly from it. Doesn’t have to be cold outside to freeze up a 1 lb propane bottle. That’s why I’ve become a big fan of using 5 and 11 lb bottles. More convenient than 20 lb bottles but no more freezeups and no more needing a new bottle in the middle of cooking (I start every trip with full bottles).  Nothing wrong with using 20 lb bottles but the smaller ones are more convenient.

Can’t go wrong with Coleman.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like those prices. How would you say the quality of the Everest compares to a Coleman or something else? I was reading some reviews and some people love them and others dislike it.
View Quote
The Camp Chef burns Coleman to the ground. No comparison. That AMZN price is great too.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Camp Chef burns Coleman to the ground. No comparison. That AMZN price is great too.

View Quote

Assuming price was similar, I’d take the Coleman over the Everest stove linked above to Amazon. I have the Bass Pro version of that stove and it works ok but quality isn’t that great. The regulator failed within 6 months of purchase and a couple welds on the grate have failed as well. It still works (after replacing the regulator) and has cooked a lot of meals but I’m not impressed. Decent but not great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#14]
That’s what I’m trying to avoid. I’m tired of of buying things that don’t work or break. I take very good care of my things and expect them to last. Sounds like the Everest is a hit or miss too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That’s what I’m trying to avoid. I’m tired of of buying things that don’t work or break. I take very good care of my things and expect them to last. Sounds like the Everest is a hit or miss too.
View Quote

I don’t think it’s a terrible stove. I just think the Coleman will be a little better. Obviously that’s my opinion and some won’t agree with me….which is fine.

If you’re looking for a really good quality stove, look at the Jetboil Genesis. But, the price is steep.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Coleman stove.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I got the camp chef and used it today. It’s awesome, you don’t realize how nice a gas stove is until you use it. Wish my home had gas. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I went ahead and bought a Jetboil Genesis BaseCamp for my last car camping trip last year.
No regrets.
I justified spending the money because I realized that I could simply put my old outdoor grill out to the curb and use the Genesis stove for my outdoor cooking at home as well as for car camping.

But that’s not the only reason I wanted this stove.  My pet peeve with camping stoves is the crappy simmer control that plagues almost all of them.  Coleman stoves tend to be particular offenders.  I like to cook breakfasts when camping and for me that means properly cooked eggs.  And that means having a stove that has good low temperature control.

The Genesis stove can also be used with satellite burners, so you can run just the basic two burners, or three or four burners by attaching additional satellites and daisy chaining them with the accessory connectors.

The BaseCamp is a very versatile stove, one you can actually COOK with.  

I bought a collapsible 6’ table (Walmart, $50) for using the stove at home along with a roll of “tablecloth” paper for splatter control, plus the necessary adaptors and gas lines for running the stove off of a 20lb propane tank and I am very happy with this setup.

The entire change over from separate home outdoor grill/camp stove to just one system, including the accessories was pricey, but now I have one stove that can be used for whatever I could possibly want whether backyard cooking or car camping.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Please IM me in 70 years if your Camp Chefs still work.

/neckbeard

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Rebuild-of-a-10-Coleman-stove/18-703677/

+ this if you want to fuss with propane
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Camp Chef Everest
2x 20,000BTU burners

www.amazon.com/dp/B004S3HDBO
View Quote

This! Been using one for years while camping during deer season, and it's typically pretty damn cold here.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 3:57:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Honestly I’m thinking of going with those little single burner butane units that use a hairspray sized can of butane for fuel. The burners are like $13…so three of them and you can actually cook three different items at once. They pack up tiny too. Better option in my opinion than a camp stove you can’t fit more than two pots on even if they do happen to have 3 burners.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083ZNCM52?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy any Coleman or two burner plus propane stove, add a propane tree that tops a 20 pound bottle. Use the the top connection for your propane lantern and get the hose to connect to the stove. This gives you  the ability to have light when cooking early or late when it is still dark out. Get a small 4 to 6 foot folding table to cook on if no picnic benches are available. This is the setup that my Boyscout troop used when camping. When you are ready to crash for the night and the lantern is going, turn the tank off only. The propane in the tree and hoses will still burn for 5 minutes or so giving you time to get ready to sleep while it is still giving off light.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#22]
For those inclined, for car camping, I run a Tembo Tusk Skottle and a MAPP gas canister. Runs well from 1200'-10,000', with plenty of heat to cook at 70* or -10*.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I got the Partner Steel 22" two burner propane stove and griddle for Christmas. Just tried it in the kitchen so far but the quality seems great. I really prefer quality USA made things and this is made in a shop in Idaho so I'm excited to take it camping. Uses 20lb bottles or 1lb with an adapter. Pricey at $500.

Up to this point I have been using the Coleman with 1lb tank at 9000' and it's been reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top