Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2019 3:14:57 PM EDT
It's been a while since I've done a rifle project. Life doesn't allow much extra these days.

Now that the kids are hunting with me in a serious way (this was year 6), it was time for the old man to start packing something lighter:

Attachment Attached File

Here's what I'd been doing (14lb-RPR):

Attachment Attached File

After our cow elk last year, I started this project, but didn't quite have it ready for our hunts this year

But at long last the first test has been run.

Requirements: ~8lb unloaded, as short as feasible for backpack stowage, head-neck shot ready, adequate to 500yd on medium game, suppressed for hearing safety.

As pictured:
Tikka T3 action
PVA Criterion 18" T3 Lite contour 6mm Creedmoor 1/2-28 threads
Sig SRD556 direct thread
MDT LSS XL stock
AGP .22 folding stock
EGW 20MOA base
Leupold Mark-AR 3-9x40

Need to finalize scope and rings, I want the size/weight of the Leupold MarkAR with hunting turrets. I may source a 4-12 Patrol with TMR and get Kenton knobs w/stops.

Less than a box of rounds through, just enough to sight in. Shots 5-7 were for a 3rd group during zero, 100yds. Hornady 103gr ELD-X factory ammo. Next stop will be testing longer range performance.

I should say that I'm a huge fan of "classic" mountain rifle designs, and would have loved to take it in a more traditional direction. Problem is, traditional look/feel would have been 50%+ more expensive and also not fit all of the portability requirements.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to carry a 16” DPMS LR308 elk hunting. Darn near 13 lbs with glass and ammo. Dropped a couple elk with it but got tired of carrying that much weight.

Pretty much moving in the same direction as you. Lighter is better out here.

Also wishing I had bought the Tikka like you, but the ruger works well.  The trigger group looks like something on an air soft gun though.

How much $ are you going to have in that?  Really a nice package.

Attachment Attached File

The ruger
Attachment Attached File

My fav elk rifle
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Weight with scope, suppressor and empty magazine?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to carry a 16” DPMS LR308 elk hunting. Darn near 13 lbs with glass and ammo. Dropped a couple elk with it but got tired of carrying that much weight.

Pretty much moving in the same direction as you. Lighter is better out here.

Also wishing I had bought the Tikka like you, but the ruger works well.  The trigger group looks like something on an air soft gun though.

How much $ are you going to have in that?  Really a nice package.
View Quote
It's not a "cheap" setup, for sure. I got a used T3 and kept the action, bought the rest new. The most expensive part is the pre-fit barrel from PVA. If I had sourced a 6.5 Creedmoor T3 and simply cut/threaded the barrel, I would have been very close to what this is in terms of performance, but I really wanted to drop back down to 6mm.

Using typical pricing, I think total not counting suppressor (which is used for other things) would be around $2k. If starting with a 6.5mm T3, I bet you could get closer to $1.5k.

Yeah, I've also packed my AR10 carbine before, it's not fun. I like my 12" Grendel a lot better for that, but it lacks the pinpoint accuracy and wind cheating of this bolt 6mm.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Weight with scope, suppressor and empty magazine?
View Quote
So....I weighed it today, a hair over 9lbs as you see it, so close to what I was looking for. Places to save weight from here would be:

- Ti SRD556
- 16" instead of 18"
- shorter LSS instead of XL
- fluting

Given unlimited money, I would prefer a folding CF hunting stock and CF barrel as well. Completely different ergonomics in that case, but I bet you could save 2lbs+ that way.

The balance of this setup (with the can on the end) is pretty nice, I will say. The MDT chassis should really enhance the first-shot repeatability, critical for hunting rifles, so that's OK.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Tikka T3X in .300wm that I'm trying to decide on a scope for. I'm torn between a Vortex Razor or Nightforce NXS but would consider other similar alternatives. I'll probably get the barrel threaded for a brake and start loading Berger 215 hybrids with H-1000. Target game is black bear, coues deer, mule deer, and elk. I feel this gun, even with a larger scope, would be manageable.

I'm currently using a Tikka CTR in .260 rem. With Vortex Viper scope and AAC can, it's more accurate than me but too heavy for those August death hikes in black bear country. Used last December on a coues hunt:
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Tikka T3X in .300wm that I'm trying to decide on a scope for. I'm torn between a Vortex Razor or Nightforce NXS but would consider other similar alternatives. I'll probably get the barrel threaded for a brake and start loading Berger 215 hybrids with H-1000. Target game is black bear, coues deer, mule deer, and elk. I feel this gun, even with a larger scope, would be manageable.

I'm currently using a Tikka CTR in .260 rem. With Vortex Viper scope and AAC can, it's more accurate than me but too heavy for those August death hikes in black bear country. Used last December on a coues hunt:
View Quote
Nice job!

I generally run heavier scopes, including several NXS's in the past. I've moved to Bushnell LRHS models since they are nicely featured for hunting. Problem is, for a lighter build they are still too heavy. There is a missing niche for ultralight, Mil-reticle, low-profile Mil turret, zero-stop, illuminated, mid-power optics. The rare and elusive Leupold VX Patrol 4-12 with TMR seems to be one of the few options there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm currently using a Tikka CTR in .260 rem. With Vortex Viper scope and AAC can, it's more accurate than me but too heavy for those August death hikes in black bear country. Used last December on a coues hunt:https://i.imgur.com/ur62w7i.jpg
View Quote
Nice animal. I use Razors for just about everything but like the Leupold VX3i and VX5/6 lines as well. Only real downside is they’re MOA adjustments only and I spend the majority of my time using Mils.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Remington 700 mountain SS

Or

Remington model 7 HS

Or

Ruger M77 ultralight

Or

Tikka superlight
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Sako 85 Finlight with a Razor LH (lightweight  hunter)

7# 8 OZ with a Ravin sling and the Mag out.  30-06 fluted SS
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Ouch, still looks heavy.

I picked up a M700 Ti in 30-06 a few years ago for less than a grand.

'Tactical aint practical' when hunting in the mountains.

Link Posted: 12/4/2019 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a super lite 6.5 creed in a bravo chassis with razor HD LH that's my go to for hunting. I also picked up a seekins in 300prc with a razor amg for another lite hunting rifle. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice job!

I generally run heavier scopes, including several NXS's in the past. I've moved to Bushnell LRHS models since they are nicely featured for hunting. Problem is, for a lighter build they are still too heavy. There is a missing niche for ultralight, Mil-reticle, low-profile Mil turret, zero-stop, illuminated, mid-power optics. The rare and elusive Leupold VX Patrol 4-12 with TMR seems to be one of the few options there.
View Quote
Oh tell me about it!!! I work at a gun shop, and I’ve contacted multiple manufacturer, and distributor reps, telling them how the market is completely void of lightweight hunting scopes with mil based reticles. Lots with moa reticles, but that’s no good for us military guys stuck in our ways, or people who have lots of tactical long range scopes who want to use the same reticles in their hunting scopes.
My dream scope is a leupold VX-5 HD 3-15 with a mil reticle. They make a number of real nice long range moa reticles in that scope, but nothing in mil. I’ve emailed them my suggestions, but for now we wait.

Currently hunting with a leupold mark ar 3-9x40 with a mil dot reticle and exposed turrets. I hate the non locking exposed turrets.

Other hunting scopes is a Nikon monarch 3 2.5-10x42 mil dot reticle with capped 1/4 moa turrets. Obviously the mil reticle and moa turrets are goofy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh tell me about it!!! I work at a gun shop, and I’ve contacted multiple manufacturer, and distributor reps, telling them how the market is completely void of lightweight hunting scopes with mil based reticles. Lots with moa reticles, but that’s no good for us military guys stuck in our ways, or people who have lots of tactical long range scopes who want to use the same reticles in their hunting scopes.
My dream scope is a leupold VX-5 HD 3-15 with a mil reticle. They make a number of real nice long range moa reticles in that scope, but nothing in mil. I’ve emailed them my suggestions, but for now we wait.

Currently hunting with a leupold mark ar 3-9x40 with a mil dot reticle and exposed turrets. I hate the non locking exposed turrets.

Other hunting scopes is a Nikon monarch 3 2.5-10x42 mil dot reticle with capped 1/4 moa turrets. Obviously the mil reticle and moa turrets are goofy.
View Quote
Yeah, the vx5 is still too heavy. Seriously, check out the specs on the vxr patrol, seems better than the base mark ar. The Kenton knob with single rotation stop is nice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't want to sound like a rock but you really think the 6mm creedmor is a 500 yard medium game cartridge?  I don't know a lot about it never looked at the ballistics but I wouldn't push the 243 past 300 on deer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't want to sound like a rock but you really think the 6mm creedmor is a 500 yard medium game cartridge?  I don't know a lot about it never looked at the ballistics but I wouldn't push the 243 past 300 on deer.
View Quote
I wouldn't hesitate to crush a deer at 500 with a 110 grain 6mm.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I dunno man, last 6 years have seen 8 animals taken. 4 deer, 3 elk, 1 antelope. Shots: 625y 6mmSLR 115gr; 315y 6.5mm Creedmoor 130; 340y 6.5mm; 320y 6.5mm; 215y 6.5mm Grendel; 430y 6.5mm Creedmoor; 115y 6.5mm; 120y 6.5mm.

No wounded animals, no chasing blood trails. Family's been kept in meat. All wide open hike-in Great Basin hunting. But maybe I don't know what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dunno man, last 6 years have seen 8 animals taken. 4 deer, 3 elk, 1 antelope. Shots: 625y 6mmSLR 115gr; 315y 6.5mm Creedmoor 130; 340y 6.5mm; 320y 6.5mm; 215y 6.5mm Grendel; 430y 6.5mm Creedmoor; 115y 6.5mm; 120y 6.5mm.

No wounded animals, no chasing blood trails. Family's been kept in meat. All wide open hike-in Great Basin hunting. But maybe I don't know what I'm doing.
View Quote
outstanding
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have a super lite 6.5 creed in a bravo chassis with razor HD LH that's my go to for hunting. I also picked up a seekins in 300prc with a razor amg for another lite hunting rifle. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117780/20191204_083613_jpg-1183395.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117780/20191018_152153_jpg-1183400.JPG
View Quote
I've got a bit of experience in these matters and I think the Seekins Havak line are the best value out there for lightweight rifles capable of long range hunting.  You get a lot of custom gun features in an off-the-shelf rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not a "cheap" setup, for sure. I got a used T3 and kept the action, bought the rest new. The most expensive part is the pre-fit barrel from PVA. If I had sourced a 6.5 Creedmoor T3 and simply cut/threaded the barrel, I would have been very close to what this is in terms of performance, but I really wanted to drop back down to 6mm.

Using typical pricing, I think total not counting suppressor (which is used for other things) would be around $2k. If starting with a 6.5mm T3, I bet you could get closer to $1.5k.

Yeah, I've also packed my AR10 carbine before, it's not fun. I like my 12" Grendel a lot better for that, but it lacks the pinpoint accuracy and wind cheating of this bolt 6mm.

View Quote

I have a t3x lite and the local smith couldn't comfortably thread it for a standard .30 setup. I would have had to go with a non standard thread pattern to get a proper shoulder.

what factory barrel would you have used and where would you have cut it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Legit results speak volumes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice job!

View Quote

this right here. I ended up with an NXS, and plan to shave weight off with the spuhr tikka hunting direct mount, and it was still the lightest option I could find that had all the features I wanted.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a bone stock Tika T3 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag that weighs in at like 6.8-7lb empty.  I had Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 on it but I pulled it and put a Leupold VX-3i on it that added another pound and a few ounces for rings.  I am under 9lbs all in.  I think the non magnums are closer to the 6lb mark.  

I got/getting away from the Target style scopes on my hunting rifles for a few reasons.  First they weigh 2lbs or more and secondly I typically don't take shots further than 500yds.  I have been looking at the Razor HD LH scope for it's simplistic design and use.  That and Vortex is Veteran friendly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, the vx5 is still too heavy. Seriously, check out the specs on the vxr patrol, seems better than the base mark ar. The Kenton knob with single rotation stop is nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not much heavier than a VXR patrol. Check out the 3-15x44. 4-12 VXR 14.6 oz, 3-15x44 VX5HD 19.7 oz. They just came out with a mil version early this year. I got 2. Love them. Simple mil reticle, wish it was a Christmas tree, but I’m still happy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

so you would have cut down the factory barrel?how short would you have gone?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

so you would have cut down the factory barrel?how short would you have gone?
View Quote

I would not hesitate to cut a 6.5 or .308 barrel to 16". For hunting ranges (0-500), the impact to drop and windage is worth the tradeoff for a short gun (if using a can). If not using a can, I'd run a full-length barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would not hesitate to cut a 6.5 or .308 barrel to 16". For hunting ranges (0-500), the impact to drop and windage is worth the tradeoff for a short gun (if using a can). If not using a can, I'd run a full-length barrel.
View Quote

Last week I ran a suppressed 16" bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmoor for the deer season with 129 hornady interlock softpoints and it hammered. We took a very large doe at 270, a decent buck at 200, and a small to medium doe at 150. Also took a couple coyotes.  All shots were pass throughs and the internal damage was impressive.  Looked more like 308 damage instead of 243.

I usually carry a 6.5 "lightweight" AR10 and only planned on trying the new shorty out,  then ended up carrying it for 7 of the 9 days.  It was a pleasure to carry and a blast to shoot.

If I were preparing for a shot on game out to 500,  I'd go with a more premium higher bc bullet like the 129 Nosler Accubond long range.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I filled the ultalight mountain rifle role with a Weatherby MkV ultra lightweight chambered in .30-06.  It has a fluted, stainless barrel painted black, a composite stock, and it weights 5.75lbs without the scope.  I mounted a Trijicon Accupower 3-9x40 with illuminated reticle on it.  It shoots sub-MOA from the factory and came with a test target.

Wasn't much of a project.  More like the easy button.  I have not threaded it for a can yet.

Here is a stock photo.

And a link:

https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-ultra-lightweight/

Mine was a SHOT show demo from Wholesale Hunter, and I think I paid about $1750 for it, IIRC

ETA:  Actually, it was $1339.  A price I couldn't pass up.  Here is a picture of my particular rifle:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice setup. I went with a more traditional style for my mountain rifle. All in, 8 lbs.
18" .308 Barrett Fieldcraft, Talley rings, NF NX8 2.5-20x50 Mil-XT, SilencerCo Omega, Langlois Rhodesian Sling.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice setup. I went with a more traditional style for my mountain rifle. All in, 8 lbs.
18" .308 Barrett Fieldcraft, Talley rings, NF NX8 2.5-20x50 Mil-XT, SilencerCo Omega, Langlois Rhodesian Sling.
https://dangerbearpics.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/125881919_10221047358631172_1127054164129459471_o.jpg
View Quote

Nice sling.  I have two and love them.  I move them around to different rifles, and find them excellent for both carry and shooting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nice sling.  I have two and love them.  I move them around to different rifles, and find them excellent for both carry and shooting.
View Quote

They are hard to beat for minimalist comfort and helping to steady a standing shot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I switched to the Razor LHT this year and like it. Great light transmission and is great at dawn/disk. Unbelievably light.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Go back to the beginning Remington Mohawk 308 5.5lbs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#34]
My 6.5 lb , 6.5 cm, 3-9  scope,  custom “shawvage” rifle (Shaw barrel, savage action) Less than 600 spent on it and it is easily 3/4 moa shooting my 129 grain soft point s&b.

I had a 6.5 tikka but it was a heavy barrel, heavy scope thing must weigh close to 12 lbs NOT fun. This is forget about it light.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm too stubborn about some things (e.g. adjustable cheek riser) to get my hunting rifles down to 8 pounds.  I usually end up around 10 lbs.  I'm also a mil guy, so my optics tend to be on the heavier side.  My favorite is a 6.5 creedmor that started out as a Christensen Ridgeline.  It now sits in a Manners EH1A (gen 2 mini chases) with an ATACR 4-16 on it.  I think it's right at 10 lbs without the suppressor on it.  heavier than I'd like, but it shoots so nice that I can't bring myself to change anything.

I will say, I think some rifles get too light for me to shoot them well, so I tell myself 10 lbs is perfect.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#36]
This is something I have been chasing for a couple years now too.  I lightweight, handy rifle with a MIL/MIL scope, but I also wanted it to be very tough for hunting purposes.  I researched a lot and finally put together something that I could not be more happy with.

I ended up going with a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creed with the 21" barrel, so the standard model.  I could have saved a couple ounces going with the Talley integral rings and bases, but I wanted tough.  I ended up going with the Talley short action rail and then Badger aluminum rings.  Scope is the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15-42mm that is MIL/MIL.  Scope is 22-23 ounces.  All together I came in at 6 pounds, 15 ounces.  That's without sling or ammo.  It's an awesome little setup.  It will shoot .75 MOA easily, with several groups in the .50s.  Got loads worked up for it with 140 Gold Dots, 143 ELD-X, and 130 Sierra GameChangers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm too stubborn about some things (e.g. adjustable cheek riser) to get my hunting rifles down to 8 pounds.  I usually end up around 10 lbs.  I'm also a mil guy, so my optics tend to be on the heavier side.  My favorite is a 6.5 creedmor that started out as a Christensen Ridgeline.  It now sits in a Manners EH1A (gen 2 mini chases) with an ATACR 4-16 on it.  I think it's right at 10 lbs without the suppressor on it.  heavier than I'd like, but it shoots so nice that I can't bring myself to change anything.

I will say, I think some rifles get too light for me to shoot them well, so I tell myself 10 lbs is perfect.
View Quote

Debating on the ridgeline. Very close to jumping on one
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nice job!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice job!

I would like to see some low knob premium scopes.  With thread on caps.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would like to see some low knob premium scopes.  With thread on caps.  
View Quote

I agree with this.  The trend towards putting target turrets on everything is annoying.  I rarely have time to dial a shot in when hunting.  I use a 200 yard zero and then hold points on the reticle for longer shots.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a silencer suggestion. Skip the Sig because they discontinued the SRD line. Get a Q Jumbo Shrimp (9 ounces, excellent mount). I have a jumbo shrimp on my Q Fix rifle in 6.5 CM and it is fantastic, light and performs well. I know it costs quite a bit more, but the Fix rifle by Q is in my opinion the perfect hunting rifle...
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#41]
My rifle is a Little bit less than 9 lbs. Bergara b14 hunter with kahles 2-10x50i scope and leupold rings
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My rifle is a Little bit less than 9 lbs. Bergara b14 hunter with kahles 2-10x50i scope and leupold rings
View Quote

What cartridge is your rifle chambered in?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What cartridge is your rifle chambered in?
View Quote

Keeping the standard trigger pull at 3 lbs i found out that It shoots geco 170 grain sp great (from 0.5 to 0.8 MOA), Federal powershock 150 (between 1 and 1.5 MOA) but It didn't like much Federal nosler partitions 150 grainers (more or less 2 MOA) nor winchester Power point 150 grainers. I would like to find some 150 grain cartridges for Boars and roe deer inside 250 yards that my rifle could shot sub MOA, do you have any suggestion? I still have to try Remington coreloct and rws dk.

@MikeDeltaFoxtrot
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Keeping the standard trigger pull at 3 lbs i found out that It shoots geco 170 grain sp great (from 0.5 to 0.8 MOA), Federal powershock 150 (between 1 and 1.5 MOA) but It didn't like much Federal nosler partitions 150 grainers (more or less 2 MOA) nor winchester Power point 150 grainers. I would like to find some 150 grain cartridges for Boars and roe deer inside 250 yards that my rifle could shot sub MOA, do you have any suggestion? I still have to try Remington coreloct and rws dk.

@MikeDeltaFoxtrot
View Quote

In my experience any recent production Remington ammo is junk.  I have had absolutely awful experiences with Remington Core-Lokt in .30-06 and .375 H&H.  I load most of my own hunting rifle cartridges.  I use mostly Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets and also some Noseler Accubonds.  I experiment with each rifle to see which groups best and then work up the load from there.

For factory cartridges, I have had great luck with Barnes Vor-TX factory cartridges loaded with TTSX bullets.  I don't know if they are available in Italy.

Barnes Vor-TX

@ssimo
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In my experience any recent production Remington ammo is junk.  I have had absolutely awful experiences with Remington Core-Lokt in .30-06 and .375 H&H.  I load most of my own hunting rifle cartridges.  I use mostly Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets and also some Noseler Accubonds.  I experiment with each rifle to see which groups best and then work up the load from there.

For factory cartridges, I have had great luck with Barnes Vor-TX factory cartridges loaded with TTSX bullets.  I don't know if they are available in Italy.

Barnes Vor-TX

@ssimo
View Quote

Core lokt is like the hi point of the ammo world though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Barnes Vor-TX

@ssimo
View Quote

We have factory loads with ttsx, yes. I still prefer the idea of a soft point or a bonded ballistic tip bullet since i sometimes shoot small hogs and roe deer (max weight 55 lbs). I prefer something that expands quite a bit with relatively low resistance and still is able to penetrate Deep. That's why i tried nosler partitions. Next try Will be with rws dk: awful BC but good accuracy and great terminal performance they Say.

@MikeDeltaFoxtrot
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
any updates?

how much just does the tikka xl chassis weigh?
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
https://dangerbearpics.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/fieldcraft-truck.jpg
View Quote

Lol! You totally defeated the purpose with that scope! Lol!

“Let’s see here…..ummmm, I think I’ll go with the sub-6lb gun so I pile 20lbs of shit on to it….”

Omg Lol!
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

“Let’s see here…..ummmm, I think I’ll go with the sub-6lb gun so I pile 20lbs of shit on to it….”

Omg Lol!
View Quote

Not much for reading, are you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Omg Lol!
View Quote

It’s why all the world renown mountain hunters use iron sights. Those over weight and over rated scopes aren’t needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top