Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2021 9:58:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
at 73 I'm pending cataract surgery on pretty severe astigmatic eyes where unfortunately my worst eye is my dominant eye, so looking through an aperture sight becomes more difficult, as much as I would prefer it for ruggedness ....so a couple of thought on sights for old farts, if not exactly a response to your OP

I looked at low light sighting options during the urban rioting last year, as even in my small town, there was some non violent protest (with many out of county auto tags noted)... accurate target identification and low light sighting were my primary objectives... I did not opt for night vision, but rather to evaluate my available optics, binoculars (with high powered illumination) and gun sight, to confirm the best light gathering objective lens and best twilight factors I had

I have a couple of excellent low light sights, several red dot options, as well as a 1x prism... the 4x32 TA31F on my 3 gun rifle was my first choice...I have used it for years in competition, and spent a lot of time on close targets with the Bindon Aiming Concept... very good glass,fiber optic illuminated chevron, and 8mm exit pupil with excellent light gathering...

for an illuminated dot, the plain Jane DSArms with front sight tower got one of the Vortex SPARCII, but today would replace it with a shake awake Holosun 507 or 510 time permitting

one of the 10.5 uppers got the Vortex Spitfire 1x prism.... the reticle is etched on the prism, so even if the light goes out, you still have a black line sighting reticle

for .22lr... I'm currently shooting Steel Challenge rim fire open with a CMMG 10.5" unit on my registered SBR... it is topped with a Holosun 510... very quick handling

I have trouble discerning which is the front sight on a 3 dot tritium setup, so my carry gun has a front tritium only with plain black fixed rear, and the house pistol has a Trijicon RMR2.... which has celebrated it first year of constant on, as I replaced the 2032 on my birthday...
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some options.  You could consider upgrading to a lighter Aimpoint (and mostly because of the battery life).  Keep your spare CR123 batteries on your battle belt/chest rig.  I decided to try out Olight instead of my Surefire, mostly because I can remove the light quickly and store on my battle belt or pack.  A light is essential for low-illumination or buildings, but I don’t need to carry it on the rifle all day in the woods.  I don’t consider quality light and optics as “high-tech” anymore; they’re pretty basic and well proven combat multipliers for the rifleman.  

You can lighten it up some.  I know there’s the urge to keep spare parts, extra batteries, the full-spectrum of light-night devices, etc., but you can disperse some of that and lighten your rifle some if you do it smartly.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quarterbore... I used this you tube video as an inspiration for a 10/22 Charger concept build...my Charger is a take down model, so did not have the option of using the original chassis... I substituted a PMACA for a take down 10/22, and used the inexpensive folding AK hinge for my build... I did not use a brace just the bare buffer tube... I used a PMACA chassis for a full length 10/22 build for a Steel Challenge rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqWSwAOtjA
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My thinking is I’d rather have more technology that I can remove if needed. My go to AR has an ACOG and light. I’m 50 with an astigmatism and using irons isn’t my best option. If needed though I can remove the scope and light and then it’s KISS.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Swap the stock for a Magpul CTR.  Ditch the carry handle, install a BUIS and move the optic to the receiver.  Carry spare batteries either on your chest rig or in a belt pouch.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

This is my urban SHTF rifle.  Colt 6921.   Everything it needs.  Nothing it doesn't.  BFG Vicker's sling, Surefire Scout light, Aimpoint M4, Troy BUIS, Magpul CTR, KAC M4 RAS.  Accurate, reliable and not heavy.  Eventually, I will replace the KAC M4 RAS with a Geissele rail and paint the rifle.

The Surefire Scout light and Aimpoint M4 are on LaRue QD mounts so they can be easily removed if the situation dictates.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The general consensus for fighting rifles is to include an optic, light, and sling.  Everything else is mission and user dependent.  For SHTF purposes, consider optics that don't require batteries (ACOG, etc) or have run times measured in years (aimpoints vs eotechs)
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Mission dictates tactics, tactics dictate gear.

Don't label your rifles and set them into X or Y.
If your hunkered down in your domicile, why would you not want a good optic/light on your rifle?
Same if your in a vehicle?

If your on foot, your going to want the least weight possible while maintaining reliability and capability.

The more tools you have in the tool box, the more options you have.

For a light weight "on foot" gun, I'd recommend an AR pistol with a brace, iron sights of your choice and plastic fore end with a plastic bodied light. It'll serve your purposes fir a defensive light weight platform out to 200 yards easy. Which unless your bring engaged by a "sniper " is more than enough.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I am piecing together a carbine right now and am going to go with what I personally consider an Israeli ish approach of only adding what you need.

14.5 HBAR P&W to 16.1 (probably with a Vortex) keeping the standard hand guards and adding only a FAB Defense DPR - Double offset M16 polymer accessory rail for a light on the top of the hand guard so I can activate it with my support thumb.

Light will probably be a Streamlight PROTAC RAIL MOUNT 1 due to the battery options (123 or AA) (yea i know Chyna... unless anyone has a link to a US made light with the same battery options?)

Optic will more than likely be a Mepro M21 with the triangle reticle. Was thinking ACOG but maybe not.

BUIS is Samson because I have one.

Side sling swivel on the front.

Probably with a VTAC style sling but maybe a VCAS.

Overall the most compact package I can get without a folding adaptor that will be fairly manageable in weight and have the bare minimum stuff to shoot out to a couple hundred.

Only thing battery powered will be the Streamlight but it can use two different types of batteries and the mount is held on with screws that use a flathead to the hand guard so it can be removed if not needed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#13]
AR type with silencer and ACOG
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a "10/22" for my main "small game" SHTF rifle. It's a TacSol X-Ring Takedown with a TacSol SBX barrel. 10.5" (I think) barrel with a 5.7" "shroud" that's welded to the barrel for a total of 16". The shroud encloses a CGS Hyrda SS suppressor, both protecting it and keeping the length reasonable without a tax stamp. I have it in a MagPul backpacker stock, with the 100 round holder and grip plug tool kit from R3D Industrial. Sight is a Holosun dual source (battery and solar) red dot.

My go to AR is a 12" 5.56 with a SBA3 brace and a YHM Turbo suppressor. H3 buffer and SLR Adjustable Gas Block, plus a ModLite OKW & Unity Tactical Hot Button. Optic is a Primary Arms GLx 2x unit with a spare 2032 battery in the grip. I also have a small pouch on the sling with a field cleaning kit, a spare bolt, and some other small parts. The whole package weighs in right at 8.5 pounds without a mag.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
While there’s nothing wrong with dialing in on the ultimate rifle/ carbine/ pistol, I think it doesn’t matter nearly as much as we think it does.

I’ve been issued rifles that range from an M16A2 with Aimpoint on a gooseneck mount and a PEQ-4(I think) to an M4 with ACOG to a G36 with dot/ 3x optic. All have managed to work.

I’ve spent the last year or two just focused on training with what I have and found that whatever I had in hand was generally fine. Optic, light, sling.

I have one mid length with a PRO and upgraded M951, and one with an XTRII 1-5 and stream light.  Either would be fine for my purposes.

I do enjoy the thought exercise, though.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was worried this topic was too close to GD material and that’s why nobody was posting.

I agree, in a crisis the weapon light would come off the rifle during the day.  It would be capable as a hand heals light with a pistol or I could mount it directly to the Glock for one hand use.  A good light with spare batteries is high on the priority list for any reality be it pure survival or pure self defense.  

I am still working on a plan to deck out the 10/22 takedown.  I found this thread that had some good ideas.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Magpul-Backpacker-grip-storage-tiny-bug-out-kit/17-692265/

View Quote

@Quarterbore I'm 99% sure I'm the OP there... I still have the backpacker set up that way. It's just iron sights because of the storage space it fits in. It holds 2 mags, a box of 50 rounds, ear plugs, lighter, some other little stuff I think. I have another bag in the truck that has a knife, more fire stuff, etc so not all of it needs to go on the 10/22. I like it for that purpose, and stuffed with a 25 round mag full of CCI I think it would work fine for offense should the need arise. I can attach my suppressor and a dot if I needed to, but otherwise meh.

My EOTW hunting/scavenge gun is a bolt action savage. Unreasonably nice Trijicon tritium/FO scope on it. Suppresses really well and I can hit anything I see inside a football field. Obviously not going to work for heavy battles but the best fight is one you're not in.

For compact travel I have a Glock 17 in a flux brace with red dot and light. it has a reload on board and I can make fast and accurate hits to 100+ yards. Yes it's 9mm but that is certainly better than a sharp stick or no gun.

the nicest part about either of the guns mentioned is that I have the ability to take them with me regularly without much drama. they fit in small bags and a gun that I can carry easily is much more likely to actually be on me when I need it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top