Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
N3FJP Field Day.
View Quote
Yeah, this.

N3FJP
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
N1MM, especially when BroncoGlenn sets up all of the networking and it's ready to go!  It worked great, and he made it painless.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had some extremely bad experience with N3FJP losing log entries and the server randomly disconnecting. It's also not very good for cw or digi.

If you're just using one station on ssb its probably ok.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've had some extremely bad experience with N3FJP losing log entries and the server randomly disconnecting. It's also not very good for cw or digi.

View Quote
Say what?  I've not had any such issues, and all I do is CW.  Anecdotal, I know, but N3FJP works great for me (I'm not a hard core contester).

With that said, however, you might only want to use the N3FJP Field Day log, if you also use their Amateur Contact Log for general logging.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmm.

Both of the clubs I field day with swear by N3FJP's software.  The bigger club runs 4A and logged ~ 3,000 QSOs
last year with 2 stations dedicated to cw on the overnight.  The little club usually operates at 2A but everyone in the club likes code.  Of all of the drama I've experienced at field days I can say logging software has never been an issue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

It is a trick I got from the Russians.

We invented the Fisher Space Pen at an ungodly cost. This is what the Russians used.

A necessity for guerrilla portable operations
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24748/pencil-510222.JPG

We invented the Fisher Space Pen at an ungodly cost. This is what the Russians used.

View Quote
Picc's is a digital logging device.

I use SQUIRL.  Very fast, very easy.

http://www.qsl.net/kc8opv/squirl-fd/

Saves all to easy to read text files.

I've used with with the local club for 5 or 6 Field Days, always good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Say what?  I've not had any such issues, and all I do is CW.  Anecdotal, I know, but N3FJP works great for me (I'm not a hard core contester).

With that said, however, you might only want to use the N3FJP Field Day log, if you also use their Amateur Contact Log for general logging.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CW issue I have is that it won't let you use enter to send the next part of the exchange like virtually every other logger out there. It forces you to use the F key macros. So I can't just sit there bouncing on the enter key to call CW; instead I have to press <IIRC> F1, then when I type the other station's call, I have to hit F5 (instead of enter) to send the exchange, etc. It also won't allow you to leave a partial class and tab into the section field - e.g. if i type 3<TAB> instead of it letting me enter the section, it actually has the gall to ding at me and refuse to move the cursor until I delete the 3. That's just horrible design for doing high speed head copy.

My club has the full license for all of his loggers and at 3 separate events now we've had issues where the server either dropped logged contacts (in one case, 25 CW contacts) or it just randomly dropped off the network, leaving me unable to continue in local mode and having to grab a pencil and notepad in the middle of an exchange.

N1MM and WriteLog have their own quirks, and especially can be annoying to configure, but I've never had them lose contacts or lock up because of a network failure.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24748/pencil-510222.JPG

View Quote
It does make dupe checking somewhat tedious though
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The CW issue I have is that it won't let you use enter to send the next part of the exchange like virtually every other logger out there. It forces you to use the F key macros. So I can't just sit there bouncing on the enter key to call CW; instead I have to press  F1, then when I type the other station's call, I have to hit F5 (instead of enter) to send the exchange, etc. It also won't allow you to leave a partial class and tab into the section field - e.g. if i type 3 instead of it letting me enter the section, it actually has the gall to ding at me and refuse to move the cursor until I delete the 3. That's just horrible design for doing high speed head copy.
View Quote
Ah, OK.  I don't know anything about that stuff, and have never used it.   I do everything by hand.   I just type in the call, class, and section, and then send my info with a paddle.

Semi-old school, but I'm not trying to set any records.  Just make a few contacts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
With SQUIRL it will beep and flash at you if you enter a dupe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
N3FJP and no issues either in either contests or daily logging. N1MM is another program that seems to work well also.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ah, OK.  I don't know anything about that stuff, and have never used it.   I do everything by hand.   I just type in the call, class, and section, and then send my info with a paddle.

Semi-old school, but I'm not trying to set any records.  Just make a few contacts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CW issue I have is that it won't let you use enter to send the next part of the exchange like virtually every other logger out there. It forces you to use the F key macros. So I can't just sit there bouncing on the enter key to call CW; instead I have to press  F1, then when I type the other station's call, I have to hit F5 (instead of enter) to send the exchange, etc. It also won't allow you to leave a partial class and tab into the section field - e.g. if i type 3 instead of it letting me enter the section, it actually has the gall to ding at me and refuse to move the cursor until I delete the 3. That's just horrible design for doing high speed head copy.

Yeah, the other CW guy in the club who uses a bug has no problem with it

Contesting is my main ham activity though so I have a certain way I like to do it. When I'm backpacking I'm fine with a straight key and a note pad. But whenever we do a contest I tend to take things way too seriously.

I built this for winter field day so N3FJP could key my KX3.

It worked, but the software was annoying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top