Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 11:02:57 PM EDT
I've had a predator hunt planned for more then a month and now the weather report looks horrible. 90% chance of showers in the morning and possibility of thunderstorm in the afternoon.
I'm OK with it as I would rather be soaked to the bone and in the field then at the house and warm but the guy going with me isn't a regular hunter. He's been deer hunting a few times and maybe dove hunting once or twice. Neither of us are experienced predator hunters. We will be hunting in the LBJ grasslands north of Decatur, TX.

I need some advice on how to game this.

Will coyotes move in inclement weather?
Should we stick to thick woods or open clearings?
With it being so late in the season which should work best, prey distress or howls?
What's a good call for bobcat?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Common sense tells me that most animals will try to stay dry or huddle up in rain. Immediately after rain, I would think they would be out because they can move silently over wet ground...

Just thinking off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've had a predator hunt planned for more then a month and now the weather report looks horrible. 90% chance of showers in the morning and possibility of thunderstorm in the afternoon.
I'm OK with it as I would rather be soaked to the bone and in the field then at the house and warm but the guy going with me isn't a regular hunter. He's been deer hunting a few times and maybe dove hunting once or twice. Neither of us are experienced predator hunters. We will be hunting in the LBJ grasslands north of Decatur, TX.

I need some advice on how to game this.

Will coyotes move in inclement weather?
Should we stick to thick woods or open clearings?
With it being so late in the season which should work best, prey distress or howls?
What's a good call for bobcat?
View Quote
IMO, coyotes will come out after a storm to look for prey.

around Valentines Day is when coyote breed... but it also depends on where you live.  if its breeding season i would use a lone female coyote howl or submissive female howl.

you could do prey sounds, might be good after a storm.

i don't have many bobcats around here.  i never call them, but people who do call them, suggest calling for about an hour or so.  they take forever to come in, from what i've been told/read.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the advise.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Every time I see this title in my subs, I think you’re talking about a baddass alien hunting people in inclement weather.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every time I see this title in my subs, I think you're talking about a baddass alien hunting people in inclement weather.
View Quote
You subscribed to my thread. I feel so honored.

Sad news is the hunt got canceled because of a serious ice storm came through last Wednesday.

I'm going somewhere else to try for pigs this week but the forecast is for rain and thunderstorms again the one day I have free.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You subscribed to my thread. I feel so honored.

Sad news is the hunt got canceled because of a serious ice storm came through last Wednesday.

I'm going somewhere else to try for pigs this week but the forecast is for rain and thunderstorms again the one day I have free.
View Quote
I hope the weather clears and you kill all the pigs. I hate pigs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#7]
No yotes or hogs but a bobcat was nice enough to show up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I hope the weather clears and you kill all the pigs. I hate pigs.
View Quote
@BigeasySnow got those hogs you hate so much.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Most excellent! Die, piggies, die!

Can I cuddle your sleepy kitty? Is he nice?
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most excellent! Die, piggies, die!

Can I cuddle your sleepy kitty? Is he nice?
View Quote
Sorry only the wife can cuddle my kitty.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry only the wife can cuddle my kitty.
View Quote
Lucky girl, it looks very soft and well behaved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top