Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 10:30:42 PM EDT
I'm always open to suggestions.

Little back story, 5 acres not far from a small down about 30 mins south of Olympia I back a few thousand acres of weyhauser land. About 2 years ago right before dusk myself and my daughter came off the trail to our field and about 5 minutes later my wife spotted an animal come off the same trail didn't get the best look at it however the profile looked like either a yote or a cougar, chased after it up our road in my truck trying to get a better look at it to no avail, flash forward a few months neighbors call me up asking me to come up to their house they have a cougar sitting by the bonfire pit watching them, so I head up there armed of course, cats gone, flash forward about a year my dog disappears from the front of the house after barking at something for about 10 minutes on and off, no sign of a struggle no blood nothing just up and disappears, no person could have walked off with him he was a rescue and didn't allow anyone he didn't know anywhere near him, flash forward about 2 months it's about 830 pm I'm coming home and something runs across the road to my neighbors property I thought maybe it was a German Shepard though none of my neighbors have a dog that size.

Flash forward to about two weeks ago and several cats disappearing later, weyhauser has clear-cut behind our house so we go up to look at our field and see what they cleared, came across a deer leg, found the skeleton  that I'm pretty sure the leg belonged to a few days later in our lower field...two days ago one of my mini pigs disappears, also came across a dice 3 point buck skeleton probably only 2 months old, so what do you guys think. Cougar Sasquatch manbear pig?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Why have you waited all this time?

Get a Cougar Tag and get er done. You tubi for calling cats. Rifle, .223, .243. 22-250, caller and camo. Send pics of dead cougar.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Step one is putting out a game cam or two and find out what you have running around .

I use wild game innovations, they work but there are better cameras they just cost more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Cat wasn't an issue till it took my dog, even then we were not totally sure it was a cat. I have a cam out and plan on getting a couple more as well as my cougar tag. Thinking .308 or using my brush gun 30-30. I don't want to be very close to the bastard
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Set up game camera's asap.
Get a pattern.
Brew coffee for thermos.
Set up shop on roof with rifle and said thermos of coffee.
Take care of business.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:01:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShadowsNight] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Redoubt99:
Set up game camera's asap.
Get a pattern.
Brew coffee for thermos.
Set up shop on roof with rifle and said thermos of coffee.
Take care of business.
View Quote
That's my plan

Camera is up already
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:23:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Crowcreek] [#6]
Cougar eat deer mostly, but could kill (bloodlessly) a large dog and carry it away no problem.

They hang around your property because the deer congregate there to avoid predators.  Go figure.

I can't tell you how best to get rid of it.  I'd be on the phone with the game dept. with this kind of trouble.  They know guys with hounds who can chase it down.  Or maybe they have a nice cougar trap.

I've read that they're easy to kill.  I'd keep a shotgun handy -- buckshot would be perfect.

Everything about your story makes me think it's a cougar.  We see a lot of them over here in E. WA, because they follow the deer.   They can kill a deer a day, and their eyesight is not the greatest.

They have been known to attack the smaller members of the human race, but mostly stick to deer.

Look for tracks, and take photos for the game dept.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Crowcreek:
Cougar eat deer mostly, but could kill (bloodlessly) a large dog and carry it away no problem.

They hang around your property because the deer congregate there to avoid predators.  Go figure.

I can't tell you how best to get rid of it.  I'd be on the phone with the game dept. with this kind of trouble.  They know guys with hounds who can chase it down.  Or maybe they have a nice cougar trap.

I've read that they're easy to kill.  I'd keep a shotgun handy -- buckshot would be perfect.

Everything about your story makes me think it's a cougar.  We see a lot of them over here in E. WA, because they follow the deer.   They can kill a deer a day, and their eyesight is not the greatest.

They have been known to attack the smaller members of the human race, but mostly stick to deer.

Look for tracks, and take photos for the game dept.
View Quote
I've never hunted cougar before so it will very obviously be a learning experience.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a cougar, if you have a game call like a FoxPro alot of guys myself included have had good luck with rabbit in distress and bird calls to lure them in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
Sounds like a cougar, if you have a game call like a FoxPro alot of guys myself included have had good luck with rabbit in distress and bird calls to lure them in.
View Quote
I have a distressed rabbit call and a buddy has an electronic call
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Checked my camera the other day, no kitty action but did see several yotes
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Anything new?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven't been on in awhile no kitty action just a few coyotes got a new cellular game camera and just put it up this morning
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a cougar.  And it has been eating well at your place.   Not a good thing, only made worse if you wound it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top