Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2022 5:27:50 PM EDT
We have a waggle pet monitor in our 5th wheel. When the power goes out and restores we get a text alert.

We are in a campground and July 4 weekend the Saturday we kept getting outage and then about 2 mins later restored. This happened about 15 times from 1100-1700 that day. Brought it mgmt attention and they just said it was because the park was full. The next day same thing. They came back out and at my insistence (you could literally smell wire burning) pulled the panel off the post. There 30a outlet was melted, we were on the 50a. The white wire coming in from underground to the buss bar was burnt.

Now this wasn’t a quick thing at all and since we had no power and it was 100* outside I had our dogs in my truck running with the A/C on…..for like 4 hours.

They changed the wire not investigating what caused it to burn and left. 5 mins later I again could smell burning wire. After a long delay and promise of a electrician coming they put us in a cabin for the night.

This story is getting long enough so I’ll cut to the current. We moved to another site. We were at the old site 2 months. Came to the new site Monday after the holiday weekend. Been here since then. Last Saturday I had approx 30 loss/recovery events. None prior and none after.

They claim it’s our camper. What would/could cause something like this? We bought this one new about 1.5yr ago and haven’t had any problems.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there any other clues in your camper that it's occurring?

Like digital clocks on your appliances having reset and flashing 12:00, for example?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes it completely shuts down. A/C , clocks. I have a Progressive Industries EMS between the pole and the camper. Maybe something wrong with it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They claim it’s our camper. What would/could cause something like this? We bought this one new about 1.5yr ago and haven’t had any problems.

Thanks
View Quote
Doubtful based on timeline. Try on supply outside park.  

There isn't much to check on the RV side.  Pic of shore power head? The only real culprit could be loose neutral wire. Usually on shore power inlet.  

<---- rv tech
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Shore power head?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shore power head?
View Quote

Are you tripping the breaker at the shore power?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are you tripping the breaker at the shore power?
View Quote

No, the breaker is not tripped.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a Progressive Industries EMS between the pole and the camper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a Progressive Industries EMS between the pole and the camper.

From PI's website:

Whenever A/C power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the present time and then automatically restores power to the RV.

This can turn into a cyclical problem: Your power monitor disconnects your RV due to low shore power voltage, the voltage immediately rises without the extra load of your RV being present, your power monitor reconnects your RV due to adequate voltage now being present, the voltage drops again due to your RV air conditioners kicking on, your monitor disconnects the RV again...
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
That makes sense. So it’s a campground issue not a problem with my equipment in your opinion?
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep - It sounds like the campground isn't wired to supply enough power to meet the demand of all their guests.

Everyone turns on their air conditioners, voltage at your shore power outlet drops below your power monitor's 104 volt cut-off point, and you get disconnected.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. They have determined somehow it’s our equipment and left it at that. We are leaving next Monday so I’m not going to fight them.

ETA: we initially planned on staying until September 1 but due to all the issues and drama we are leaving a month early. I hope that cost them the site fee for a month and “corporate” learns this. To be clear though, my issue is with on-site management not “corporate”. They cancelled the electrician that was supposed to come out that night just for starters but this isn’t the place for that conversation.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Since most RVs aren't equipped with a power monitor (and thus aren't aware of the problem), the campground owners probably aren't hearing complaints from most other guests.

You're the only one complaining, so the problem must be on your end!

I'd definitely leave them a negative review on Yelp, RV forums, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top