Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2019 2:39:24 PM EDT
Rules:

1. Carry-able for 100 yards at a time by YOU. For ~ 400 yards without stopping.

2. Less than ~25 lbs.

3. Fit in medium size tool box, or less.

4. Cover MOST conceivable maintenance/scavenging/survival emergencies during Zombie Apocalypse.

5. NO WEAPONS. Aside from hammers, screwdrivers, big wrenches, pointy drywall saws, etc,

6. Plumbing, Electricity, minor Wood Working, minor Metal Working, minor Vehicle Repairs, Make Fire/Shelter, etc, etc.

7. Be Creative.

And

GO GO GO!
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Less than 25 pounds

You must live in an apartment.  I think if I laid out all the tools that are in or often in my carpenters belt I’d exceed 25 lbs and it’s not like they are optional tools if you’re doing real construction let alone specialty plumbing or electrical and almost none of that crosses over to vehicle maint.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
14 oz welded framing hammer for starters. I have never weighed my tool bag, but I betcha it’s over 25 lbs, and there aren’t any mechanic tools in there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I figured this topic might be out of the "comfort zone" of most people.

Many a time I've gotten an older vehicle "going" again without a full mechanic's tool set, using vice grips, crescent wrenches, bailing wire, $@#& tape.

Yes, you have specialty tools to make certain tasks easier. But many of those tasks can be completed with more than one tool, even if it takes more time/skill.

And some tools are more multi-function than others.

What do you ACTUALLY NEED to get a job done, and can you carry it all with you?

You going to overhaul a car? Several hundred pounds of tools, which you WILL NOT be packing with you everywhere.

A 12-16 ounce framing hammer can drive a nail, pull a nail...

Be used to hit stuff. Like zombies, duh, but wait, there's more!

Hit a wood chisel, a metal chisel, beat hot metal, (we are into fabricating now!!!) mushroom a rivet, tear apart stuff, straighten stuff, GENTLY get stuff working again, unstick a bolt/screw (you hold the screwdriver in the screw and hit the screwdriver with the hammer). It's a hammer, the possibilities are endless. It's literally the first "tool" ever made by mankind. It's even used to make many other tools!

Even start a fire!!! As long as you have a nail and anvil (of some type, maybe even a big rock?) and something to hold it.

START A FIRE WITH A HAMMER?!? (Strike until its red hot!!)

Framing hammer is IN the TOOL BOX

You don't need three types of hammers.

Wrenches?  Don't need 101 wenches, a couple adjustable ones will do 87% of what a complete set will do.

Yesssss, you will NOT be able to get to the left upper tranny bolt on a 2018 Kia Sedan. But if that is what you are worried about, you are missing the point of the exercise.

Maybe your crescent wrench can tell you what size wrench or socket you need? So you can get the right one next trip?

Screw drivers? Lots of stuff needs very specific bits, especially Guns, electronics, optics, EYE GLASSES.... But, what can you "make do" with? OR are willing to compromise AT ALL on bits?

Hot glue is in the box. It's miracle glue, just as useful as 2 part epoxy. Even more so. It's even reusable to a degree.

Duct Tape is nice, but wasteful. There, I said it, NOT in the box. Electrical tape is better in many respects, and doesn't degrade NEAR as quickly over time.

Rope/paracord/string. Almost infinite uses, only question is how much and what size?

Saw? Wood saw, metal saw? Obviously not powered, but what kind of unpowered? Hack saw? Something that holds sawsall blades?

I may get some flack, but "dog bones", and those "multi" sockets have a place. YES, I know they will NOT reach EVERY nut/bolt. But they can reach ~50% of things adequately, all for 1% of the weight of carrying a complete set.

And if you can get a measurement, you can bring the right tool next trip, without having to bring the whole tool kit with you.

Which means bringing a pencil/pen/sharpie and some paper to write down what size tool you need to bring next time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I can do a lot with two pairs of channel locks, claw hammer and a big all metal flat head screwdriver ( prybar and chisel).
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can do a lot with two pairs of channel locks, claw hammer and a big all metal flat head screwdriver ( prybar and chisel).
View Quote
Please cut me a four step stair joist to replace the one that just broke at the BOL so my dad can get into the building. I’ll wait
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I figured this topic might be out of the "comfort zone" of most people.

Many a time I've gotten an older vehicle "going" again without a full mechanic's tool set, using vice grips, crescent wrenches, bailing wire, $@#& tape.

Yes, you have specialty tools to make certain tasks easier. But many of those tasks can be completed with more than one tool, even if it takes more time/skill.

And some tools are more multi-function than others.

What do you ACTUALLY NEED to get a job done, and can you carry it all with you?

You going to overhaul a car? Several hundred pounds of tools, which you WILL NOT be packing with you everywhere.

A 12-16 ounce framing hammer can drive a nail, pull a nail...

Be used to hit stuff. Like zombies, duh, but wait, there's more!

Hit a wood chisel, a metal chisel, beat hot metal, (we are into fabricating now!!!) mushroom a rivet, tear apart stuff, straighten stuff, GENTLY get stuff working again, unstick a bolt/screw (you hold the screwdriver in the screw and hit the screwdriver with the hammer). It's a hammer, the possibilities are endless. It's literally the first "tool" ever made by mankind. It's even used to make many other tools!

Even start a fire!!! As long as you have a nail and anvil (of some type, maybe even a big rock?) and something to hold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMVs1v1Atyw

Framing hammer is IN the TOOL BOX

You don't need three types of hammers.

Wrenches?  Don't need 101 wenches, a couple adjustable ones will do 87% of what a complete set will do.

Yesssss, you will NOT be able to get to the left upper tranny bolt on a 2018 Kia Sedan. But if that is what you are worried about, you are missing the point of the exercise.

Maybe your crescent wrench can tell you what size wrench or socket you need? So you can get the right one next trip?

Screw drivers? Lots of stuff needs very specific bits, especially Guns, electronics, optics, EYE GLASSES.... But, what can you "make do" with? OR are willing to compromise AT ALL on bits?

Hot glue is in the box. It's miracle glue, just as useful as 2 part epoxy. Even more so. It's even reusable to a degree.

Duct Tape is nice, but wasteful. There, I said it, NOT in the box. Electrical tape is better in many respects, and doesn't degrade NEAR as quickly over time.

Rope/paracord/string. Almost infinite uses, only question is how much and what size?

Saw? Wood saw, metal saw? Obviously not powered, but what kind of unpowered? Hack saw? Something that holds sawsall blades?

I may get some flack, but "dog bones", and those "multi" sockets have a place. YES, I know they will NOT reach EVERY nut/bolt. But they can reach ~50% of things adequately, all for 1% of the weight of carrying a complete set.

And if you can get a measurement, you can bring the right tool next trip, without having to bring the whole tool kit with you.

Which means bringing a pencil/pen/sharpie and some paper to write down what size tool you need to bring next time.
View Quote
Thats all cool and stuff...but if ya need to do that with all the shit around, your stupid cause you should have matches or a lighter. I mean shit...twisted up napkin to a stove would've been alot easier.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a bad challenge to get the noodle thinking.

I kind of like the long and short length bit drivers.  Maybe not as robust as a fixed screwdriver, but very versatile in a small package.  They do have some universal socket heads; not perfect, but good enough to cover a variety of sizes if weight and size are limitations.

There are numerous hand-held Sawzall variations that for smaller projects that can cover a wide spectrum of wood, plastic/PVC, rubber, metal, etc.  Compact and versatile.

While I can cover the majority of repairs with a large and smaller pair of channel locks, a couple sizes of vice grips, I have found a good pair of needle nose pliers and large pipe wrench can be real handy at times (Rigid make a great aluminum pipe wrench that is almost half the weight of regular steel versions).  I do keep and carry two multitools on or near me: a Swiss Spirit and Leatherman Crunch (compact vice grips).  I honestly don't use my crescent wrenches much, mostly because I have a larger wrench set handy, so maybe a couple sizes would help replace a full set of open or box wrenches.

While I don't mind having a framing hammer, I do like a the versatility of a rigger's or builder's hatchet/hammer combo.  Also, don't forget a good hard rubber mallet of some type; I just find them easy to loosen up seized fittings etc.  Speaking of seized threaded stuff, a small can of WD40 really comes in handy all the time for me.

Tape measure.

I still like 100mph (duct) tape, the Gorilla brand.  Additionally, I like both electrical tape and the self-fusing silicon sealant tape.  Most used cordage is tarred bank line, assorted zip-ties are extremely useful, and of course some bailing wire rounds out most needs.  I do like have a couple tube sets of JB-Weld, locktite, and some silicone sealant handy as well.

Interestingly enough, I'll be doing a temporary relocation for about 5 months.  Right now, I'm looking at renting a room vice getting mine own apartment, so a small tool/repair kit is more appropriate.  Since I'll likely be using my wife's Subaru instead of driving my truck (it's about 500 miles from home), size will be a factor.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You can substitute this from Knipex for your wrenches (this is a wrench, not pliers). Vastly superior to regular adjustable wrenches as it actually clamps on the fastner. You can put a LOT of torque on a fastner with this, more than with a crescent wrench.

A small and large screwdriver handle and a good set of bits.

Hammer, chisel, couple of punches, prybar.

You can do a lot with that relatively modest collection of tools.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Why are we doing this exercise, exactly?
Your specifications don't allow for much of any tools, and if I am mobile for some survival reasons, I'm not lugging a tool box with me.
There is no way that a 25 pound kit of tools is going to cover most foreseeable emergencies encountered.
For example, the military has defined what are acceptable minimum tool kits for its various "trades" personnel like carpenters, etc. Those kits run into the hundreds of pounds
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why are we doing this exercise, exactly?
Your specifications don't allow for much of any tools, and if I am mobile for some survival reasons, I'm not lugging a tool box with me.
There is no way that a 25 pound kit of tools is going to cover most foreseeable emergencies encountered.
For example, the military has defined what are acceptable minimum tool kits for its various "trades" personnel like carpenters, etc. Those kits run into the hundreds of pounds
View Quote
I think you answered your own questions.

@21lbs including box right now.

Seriously, all that stuff adds up fast.

You might be surprised what you can do with the "less than ideal" tool for the job if you use your imagination.

I went through my ZA box last night and removed the smaller size duplicates. Need to add a few more things, like a punch

ETA: Back up to 33lbs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Visit some 3rd world countries and you'll see amazing work being done with tools most of us would throw away or ingenious work arounds. Hell, when I was getting into bladesmithing I was researching the best hammer weight, anvil type etc. Then I watched a video with Tai Goo making a jaw dropping blade with a wash tub forge. The damn wire brush he used probably had 3 bristles left,lol. Not exactly inline with the ops question but It got me thinking about this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Watching Mexican Youtube videos about "Life Hacks" is a real eye opener. All kinds of neat tricks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The only for sure, can't live without piece in my toolbox (on my belt) during a zombie apocalypse would be a pair of fencing pliers.

Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only for sure, can't live without piece in my toolbox (on my belt) during a zombie apocalypse would be a pair of fencing pliers.

https://imgpond.novarata.net/uploads/2020/02/fencing plier.jpg
View Quote
Hash Tag Me too.

And a >/= 16 ounce hammer.

Steeples in Oak trees are hard to install and almost impossible remove without that combo.

Reminds me, I need to repair the hammer face on all my fencing pliers. A few seconds with a grinder and a few minutes with a triangle file/hack saw and a vice. They start to get mushroomed eventually.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think you answered your own questions.

@21lbs including box right now.

Seriously, all that stuff adds up fast.

You might be surprised what you can do with the "less than ideal" tool for the job if you use your imagination.

I went through my ZA box last night and removed the smaller size duplicates. Need to add a few more things, like a punch

ETA: Back up to 33lbs.
View Quote
If I'm weight restricted to less than 30 lbs including the box, why am I bothering with a box?
The toolbag I use for work is set up to be multifunctional and lightweight because I have to carry it to and from the jobsite along with my cooler and backpack.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I can repair, or take apart 87% of shit with this bag. From plumbing, electrical, etc etc.

Like most things. it's  mission dependent...reason theres a second bag in my trunk.
That has speed squares, pry bars ,22oz hammer,hacksaws jabsaws,duckbills,bigger pipe wrenches,larger sockets etc etc,etc.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Dont know about zombies but I have a clam shell craftsman tool box in the trunk. Yup...the older tools from U.S. 2 different size ratchets have all kinds of sockets, screwdriver with all kinds of heads. A leatherman tool inside the box with gloves.

And have a few smaller tools in a bag in my center console.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
3 pc set of Knipex wrench pliers
Standard & metric Allen key sets
Torx key set
compact 3/8” socket set, standard & metric with spark plug socket and 6” extension
Small and medium needle nose pliers
Small and medium vise grips
Sawzall Blades
2 screwdriver handles & bits
Some kind of hammer
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
If I am out on foot during a zombie apocalypse.. I don't think it will be trying to fix anything, just cut, remove and steal stuff to take home to base.
25 lbs? Probably

Plumbing parts
  • Tubing cutter

• Hack saw, metal blade, wood blade

Machine parts?
  • Socket wrench and sockets in common sizes

• Breaker bar

Electrical wire
  • Voltage Tester - Is it safe to cut this wire?

• Klein multi-tool

The help me get stuff home
  • Paracord

• Water bag

Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Walmart had a VERY heavy duty backpack in the tool section. I was thinking about how to fit my tool box into it... It needs more small compartments though, or maybe some finely divided boxes, because I have a bunch of small/delicate stuff.

I also have to rebuild my tool kit, parts have gotten scattered over the last several months.

It's a never ending cycle.

My current box is dying, hinges are half broken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top