Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2018 7:26:44 AM EDT
I have a chance to go on my first safari next year (August) in Namibia. A buddy of mine who purchased the trip, cannot go now and wants to sell me the trip at a price it's hard for me to pass on. I'll probably be going for Kudu, Gembok, Elan, zebra, etc... not anything bigger this trip.

Anyway, this wouldn't be a big 5 hunt, just a plains hunt. I don't know the PH service I'll be using yet, my buddy is supposed to have all the information next time I see him.

My questions for those of you who have done this before, what rifle and in what caliber would you recommend?
I've seen people on here recommend both the 30.06 and 375 H&H. Of those two what would be the better all around rifle?
What is the best all around scope for your recommended rifle and what yardage do you zero it?
What ammo do most of you use? If hand loading, which bullets and powder?

Thanks for any information. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions as plans are solidified.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope you get to make this happen.

I understand you're gathering ideas and intel, but the best source for info on this is going to be your PH, especially when it comes to zero distance. He'll know the most likely shots you're going to have on your specific hunt because he knows the land and terrain. As far as caliber, a good strong thirty caliber rifle that you're handy with should be good - 30.06, .300 mag, 7mm mag
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The best advice I have ever seen from a PH is bring the deer rifle (270 or larger) that you shoot the best and use premium bullets.

I have taken 3 safaris to Africa and while I had an 8x68 with me in my first trip it was unnecessary for plains game.

My eland would succumbed just as easily to my 30/06 which was back on the truck.

For plains game anything in the 7mauser/270/30/06 or 7mag/300 mag class is perfect. Far too many hunters are fooled into thinking they need a 375 H&H or some kind of 416 or 458 that they never learn to shoot well vs bringing something they ahoot well and aren’t afraid of.

My personal choice is an 06 running Barnes 168 gr TSX.

But any 168 or 180 gr premium bullet will do just fine. It’s bullet placement not power that wins the day.

Let me know the name of the PH in Namibia as I know a few of them.

Go do this you will have a ball.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The PH is Thormahlen and Cochran Safaris. It is a 7-day package and includes a $1000 credit towards trophy fees. It's valued at $6750 and it would cost me only $500.00 (plus trophy fees for game animals) if I take it.

Y'all ever heard of them?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard of them

First of all what do you get included in the package valued at $6700? Is it just daily rates or are some animals included?

Is pick up and drop off from the airport included?

What are the taxes if any? Are they included.

I spent some time on their website and I don’t see a price list for additional animals.

It’s atill probably. A steal but I would want some questions answered.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:00:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pushrod_Paul] [#5]
See my answers below in the quote.
The more I look into it, I'm not seeing why the hunt is valued at $6700 when they have packages for between $5k - $6.5k that includes a handful of animals.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
I have heard of them

First of all what do you get included in the package valued at $6700? Is it just daily rates or are some animals included? No animals, just a $1000 trophy credit. It includes field prep, trophy prep and transportation to shipper.

Is pick up and drop off from the airport included? Yes.

What are the taxes if any? Are they included. It didn't mention taxes, just gratuities that are not included. I would have to apply for a weapons permit also.

I spent some time on their website and I don’t see a price list for additional animals.
Yes, I didn't see any either, just their package prices, which seem reasonable. If you start adding in all the trophy fees per animal (from what I gathered from other PH websites), and there are at least 4 I want to try for at between $1000 and $1500 each, their package deals may end up being close to the price of what this deal is.

It’s atill probably. A steal but I would want some questions answered.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I will look at my notes tonight from when I spoke with them at DSC and let you know what they said.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't say much about trophies and cost. I've hunted Kudu (we had them on the farm...used anything from .222 to 30-06) and Gemsbok (used a .308). Anything over a 7mm Mauser will work fine. I've been present on Eland and Zebra hunts. Guy ran a 300 Win Mag for those and to be honest, it seemed a bit much. Zebra is supposed to be a tough beast, but I think a well constructed 7mm bulet at moderate speeds will do the job. Depending on the location in Namibia, you may be in for some long ranges.
I hope you get to go. Africa is a special place. Namibia even more so. I've only been a few times and was in awe every time. It made our farm look so...small.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#8]
We went in April and had an amazing time.

I’m already planning the next trip, for fall of 2020 - a MAGA Safari perhaps.

Everything we shot was with a .308 (Blesbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Impala, and Jackal).

Next time I’m printing a pistol and a bow as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I found my notes from when a friend (he has 16 safaris under his belt) and I talked with them at the Dallas Safari Club show a couple of years back.

They were very pushy on wanting us to sign a contract right then and there and they were a little aloof about what was and wasn’t included.

It took me a while to find my notes because they were in my NFE (Not Fucking Ever) file in my office.

Too many red flags.

No published price list. You don’t want to get there and find out that not only is a kudu over priced but the are one of the PH’s that charge more for based on trophy measurements.

6700 value for a hunt that doesn’t include any animals when the lit ansimilarly prices package that does include several animals. This reeks of bait and switch.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hasher1:
I found my notes from when a friend (he has 16 safaris under his belt) and I talked with them at the Dallas Safari Club show a couple of years back.

They were very pushy on wanting us to sign a contract right then and there and they were a little aloof about what was and wasn’t included.

It took me a while to find my notes because they were in my NFE (Not Fucking Ever) file in my office.

Too many red flags.

No published price list. You don’t want to get there and find out that not only is a kudu over priced but the are one of the PH’s that charge more for based on trophy measurements.

6700 value for a hunt that doesn’t include any animals when the lit ansimilarly prices package that does include several animals. This reeks of bait and switch.

Best of luck to you.
View Quote
Thanks, I was beginning to come to that conclusion on my own.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a 'donated' auction hunt your buddy bought when drunk and is now trying to unload it on you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
They are top of the line and above board.  You should contact them for details. Email/What's App are usually the best ways to contact them.  Write down all questions you wish to ask.  I would bet that some trophy fee is included as well as pick-up and return, use of the P/H, vehicle, all meals, .  You should know that most African countries have minimum caliber requirements depending on game hunted.  Ask them what you need to bring in the way of clothing, personal hygiene items, etc...  Know the requirements for taking your firearms and ask them about all fees for levy, govt. concession fees if they apply.  There is always the question of gratuities as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask about the outfit on Africanhunting.com.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#14]
OP- You have a lot of good input here, and I hope it all works out for you. If there is any way for you to still go, you should definitely do it. You won't regret it. If you want a couple good outfitters in that I've used in RSA I can sent you links to them.
The shooting is longer than you may expect, I was often taking 200-300 yards shots, sometimes 400-ish on Kudu or Gemsbok.
Kudu aren't especially tough, so a well constructed bullet out of a .270 win is adequate for that species.
For Gemsbok,Waterbuck, or Zebra, 30-06 or any of the .300 mags are fine. I prefer using lighter, thus flatter shooting nosler paritions.
I used a .270 on Kudu, Blesbuck, Bushbuck, Warthog, Blesbuck, springbuck, impala, and smaller stuff like duiker and stienbuck, I was not under-gunned.
I used .300 Win Mag on Gemsbuck,Kudu, Blesbuck, Black and Blue Wildebeast, Impala, Hartebeest & Springbok.
30-06 (Supressed) on a warthog
.300 wby mag on some of the larger stuff listed above, plus Nyala.
I took a Waterbuck and a couple other things with a .340 Wby mag.
I'd recommend a 3-9 variable in a decent quality optic.
You may end up having to take a 30 yard shot, so being able to think quick and adjust to low power quickly is an asset.
Get a good comfortable sling, comfortable walking boots. Practice from shooting sticks and learn how to use them, they are a great tool.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top