BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2019 10:31:44 PM EDT
WARNING: Long Story!

Update:
Just saw the news, Home Invasion about 2 miles from me
(more rural, I'm more in town) last night. 2 armed males, let in by the wife. Shot the husband 2x in the legs and fled.

Unsure if related, but who knows.

Background, I live on the first floor of a 2 story house with my girlfriend, and my brother on the 2nd floor, on the edge of a small town. We don't own the house/property (between 1 and 2 acres), but my best friend does and rents to us. I wouldn't say it's a high crime area, but I'm well aware that heroin/meth have done a great deal to erode small town USA.

Over the weekend we were watching the GFs sisters dog, and she took it for a walk just before 9pm, dark, but enough ambient light she felt she didn't need a flash light for a quick pee walk.

I was almost taking trash out when I came in and saw the look on my GFs face. Took me a bit to get it out of her, but she basically said she saw someone on the property. After some coaxing I got out of her she was directly behind the house, where there is about 75 ft of grass and then a wooded area with a path leading back to an old email road path. She claims she was about 10-15 yards from a "dark human like figure", which she saw turn and walk into the woods, as she then turned and ran back.

It took me a while to get the information necessary to decide action was necessary, by I ultimately alerted my brother, and we cleared the woods with lighted ARs. Nothing. Including no signs of diatribes brush, grass, etc.

It's possible her mind was playing tricks on her (shes addicted to the ID channel), it's possible she saw a ghost/spirit/other worldly, and it's possible she saw a lurker, scout, or bum.    I DO believe her that she saw something, but that's not what this is about.

LESSONS learned:
1. An 18" AR Recce rifle is too long/heavy for searching the woods prolonged. But the massive light I have on it for coyotes worked great. Replacing my bed side rifles with something shorter/lighter.
2. The basement door is relatively easy to make entry through, which would give you access to the entire house. Have already begun fortifying.
3. LIGHTS! Ordered a $40 solar powered motion detecting LED light to put on the back of the house. If it's decent I'll be ordering 2 more for the sides.
4. Cameras. I have a set of 4 wifi based cameras I avoided setting up because this isn't my "forever" home. I realized that needs to change.
5. Clearing brush. This will be more long term, but during the fall we will be clearing some brush to eliminate hiding positions. I am kinda torn on this one because although brush allows hiding spots, it limits egress and forces people to natural trails (path of least resistance). What are all of your thoughts?
6. Having my brother live above me is priceless.
7. Already mentioned on another post, but staging clothes. When my brother got my message he was ready for bed, and luckily threw some pants on because the brush is not ideal for shorts, etc.

I'm sure I will think of more lessons learned and come up with more ideas for actions I need to take over the next few days.

Anyone have any comments? Ideas? Opinions? Etc?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Thermal scope or nv if you want to get the drop on it. If it’s one of the shadow people ghost things, ya’ll need Jesus.  In all seriousness, I’m not a huge fan of solar lights from my experimenting with a couple different kinds (low output, low run times, and one of mine would constantly blink on and off so lots of false alarms if using it for security purposes. Of course there could be some decent brands but in my experience, lights and security cameras should be hard wired. WiFi tends to be pretty unreliable unless you either dropped a lot of $ on a proper built network or if your cameras are within 20 ft of the access point.  You may need to add another access point to your network to add coverage, this should be run via Ethernet or even x11 (or whatever they call it these days doing Ethernet via electrical outlet). Give it a shot, test it out with the cams at the proper distances but before you go permanently installing them just in case it’s not a good fit.

You should check the night vision EE. Someone has a super long range thermal system made for stationary points for only around $90k :).  You could see crackheads at 5 miles probably.

Edit: I forgot an important thing. The cameras and dvr should be on battery backups and *hopefully* the camera system doesn’t require internet. There’s been several reported instances of baddies cutting phone/cable lines so Ring/nest etc cams are completely worthless and then robbing the house.  The battery backups are for if someone takes out your power obviously.  This gets super tricky with WiFi cams because they’re almost always going to be plugged into their own outlets. This is why I typically recommend people use a PoE camera system which sends the video and power over the same Ethernet cable. With this setup you only need your Poe switch (or the dvr with built in Poe)  where the Ethernet cables plug in on the battery backup. And you can really go all out with run time and still keep the battery backup costs cheaper than having 1 for each camera.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Living in NM I can tell you probing is no joke!
NV from the house is my choice.
Love my flir scout.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
From your description this person seems comfortable in the woods. Vegetation will not channel someone who knows that people expect vegetation to channel people. Get rid of the brush. I also agree that if you are taking the ghost/otherworldly creature comment seriously, you need Jesus.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
We all need Jesus.

But Uncle Joe says...

Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]
An 18" barrel AR is too heavy?  Best do some cardio.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Passive surveillance is more likely to produce results in that situation than running through the woods with weapons lights.

If your girlfriend is unable to communicate effectively because she thinks she saw something in the back yard, she needs to learn to control her fear better.

Assuming there actually was someone in the back yard, and the dog didn't alert her to it's presence, you need a new dog.  ***Sorry- re-read you post and realized it's not your dog.  Irregardless, that dog sucks at it's job.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#7]
My reaction too.  Worthless dog.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Everybody always overreacts with gadgetry. It's a never ending solution to a problem that may never exist

The solar light thing is great. They're somewhat inexpensive and can be located anywhere(problem areas). They turn on with motion sensors which gives you a great tactical advantage

For a defensive weapon, I always recommend a light weight AR(nothing crazy) with an AimPoint and a light. I prefer 1,000 lumens with a pressure switch.

I have a small, custom gun shop next to my house in a rural area. I'll get hit sooner or later. Hurricanes are a problem as there will be power outages and no cops. The solution will be just me and an AR
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the thermal! I use mine allot for checking night noises. Because I live in the country, my intruders are varmints that are doing raids on the garden and other things.

I also use various alarm sensors (Chamberlain) that trigger an alarm at the house that works on AC and has a battery backup. The sensors run on batteries and with good lithium batteries don't require very frequent battery changes. There are various other alarms I can use ranging from trip wire triggered ones to GI Surplus seismic alarm sensors, if I feel the need.

You always need to consider setting sensors to fit what you want it to trigger to. An example being the Chamberlain sensors. You need to aim them at the area you want to cover and to an approximate height of what your target would be at mass.  All things considered, you can expect some false triggers from time to time from  birds and etc.

Just some thoughts for you to consider.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
9pm, dark, but enough ambient light she felt she didn't need a flash light for a quick pee walk.
View Quote
I shortened it for you.  Fix this first. Get a small flashlight with a neck lanyard.  Does she shoot?  Make sure she has a gun.  Don't turn a dog walk into a rape.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Sasquatch most likely.  Either that or a junkie looking for something to transform into his next fix.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that you probably didn't need to be out there "clearing" the woods.  You had 75 feet of cleared space between your position and the woods.  Yet you gave up that nice cushion and went around looking for someone or some thing that you didn't know that well.  What if it wasn't one guy?  What if it was a group of "teens"?  While you were out back you left your home wide open.  I say dig in and make the fuckers earn it.

Set up so you can light up that back yard area like it's the fifty yard line at the Super Bowl.  Do that around your entire perimeter.  Deny you enemy the easy access they desire.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, alot of responses.

Dual sets NVGs, with suppressed rifles and PEQ15s would be my number one choice, but unfortunately it's not I'm the budget just yet.

I did buy her a flashlight that sits at the door specifically for walking that dog, she just chose not to take it with her.
As far her carrying, I've tried. Got her an M&P22 to learn on, and she did. But every range sesh is starting over at square one, and she doesn't have enough initiative to devote time to getting better with it.

Yes, dog sucks. Literally barks at everything, including my brother walking upstairs in the middle oft he night, but failed to spot something 10 yards ahead of him. #NotMyDog.

As far as clearing brush, probably a good idea. And we'll get there. Just got the notice from Amazon that my solar light arrived so I'll be getting that up ASAP.

If money weren't an issue and it was my forever home, I'd have the place rigged with CCTVs, flood lights, fields of fire, windows strategically placed, and the house battened down like fort Knox.
I do pretty much have carte blanche from my buddy (also an LEO) as far as doing things to the house/property. But I'm trying to get the best protection for the least investment if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
my vote: more solar lights that shine out from your house. Like a lot. We have a few and they certainly help.
If night vision/thermal is out check into good ass weapon lights. Take the high ground in your house and spot the area. Don't go chasing an unknown.
Game cameras are good for after action, and are cheap enough. get a few
Leave lights on. Like a big flood for dog walking. then you don't need to worry about her bringing a flashlight.
If you're really worried about it you could consider some of those perimeter trip wire alarms that detonate a shotgun shell (blank) when the wire is pulled.

honestly I think the best defense is deterrent. My house is able to be broken into. Absolutely, it's just a matter of time/desire. The lights, cameras, alarms, thorny shit under windows, fences, closed blinds, dead bolts, barking dog, and no obvious easy to take stuff make it a much less attractive target than my neighbors. Don't have to stop a bad guy, just have to stop them from coming after me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
The biggest issue with watching that back part of the house is there are no windows to the rear of the house. It's an old 1800's house which the back was expanded to add the bathroom. So 1st and 2nd floor have zero view of the rear of the house.

So even if lights do get triggered, well never know.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, alot of responses.

Dual sets NVGs, with suppressed rifles and PEQ15s would be my number one choice, but unfortunately it's not I'm the budget just yet.

I did buy her a flashlight that sits at the door specifically for walking that dog, she just chose not to take it with her.
As far her carrying, I've tried. Got her an M&P22 to learn on, and she did. But every range sesh is starting over at square one, and she doesn't have enough initiative to devote time to getting better with it.

Yes, dog sucks. Literally barks at everything, including my brother walking upstairs in the middle oft he night, but failed to spot something 10 yards ahead of him. #NotMyDog.

As far as clearing brush, probably a good idea. And we'll get there. Just got the notice from Amazon that my solar light arrived so I'll be getting that up ASAP.

If money weren't an issue and it was my forever home, I'd have the place rigged with CCTVs, flood lights, fields of fire, windows strategically placed, and the house battened down like fort Knox.
I do pretty much have carte blanche from my buddy (also an LEO) as far as doing things to the house/property. But I'm trying to get the best protection for the least investment if that makes sense.
View Quote
^ That right there is the #1 problem that if corrected would fix the majority of the issue.  If that doesn't get fixed, it doesn't matter how much money and effort you throw at the issue.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Aside from the flood lights, you could put some solar-powered lawn lights around the perimeter.  They won't be bright, but backlighting can make detecting movement easier, if someone is hanging around the edge.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for posting this OP, making me rethink some things and also the amount of knowledge and ideas in the comments never disappoint.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The biggest issue with watching that back part of the house is there are no windows to the rear of the house. It's an old 1800's house which the back was expanded to add the bathroom. So 1st and 2nd floor have zero view of the rear of the house.

View Quote
You can get those cheap driveway alarms at harbor freight. Spray paint the body of the sensor and attach to a tree. Keep the alarm portion inside where you will hear it.

If the lights turn on, even though you may not know it, they will act as a deterrent. Coupled with wireless alarm you can go and check things out. You will probably get animals setting it off from time to time but for the interim it might be worth checking out every time the alarm goes off since this just happened.

Game cameras too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wyze cams in exterior enclosures.  Put cheap Android tablets running TinyCam Pro app where you can check them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wyze cams in exterior enclosures.  Put cheap Android tablets running TinyCam Pro app where you can check them.
View Quote
Thanks, I'll def be researching that
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

^ That right there is the #1 problem that if corrected would fix the majority of the issue.  If that doesn't get fixed, it doesn't matter how much money and effort you throw at the issue.
View Quote
Regardless of whether she had a flashlight, or flame thrower, it doesn't negate the fact that someone was prowling in my back yard. I don't know what their plans were/are, but I am reacting with worse case scenario on mind.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I would agree with the poster that says that people over-react with gadgets.   Part of my professional responsibilities involve security cameras.    I can recall at least a dozen times that we have recorded people committing criminal acts and the police have told us that we didn’t have enough evidence to pursue it.   One time we had recordings, we had the license plate of the vehicle, we had witnesses, the police recognized the crack-head, they informed us that he was driving his wife’s car and they STILL didn’t have enough evidence to pursue it.

One of the companies that I deal with has a really nice picture of a guy stealing the security camera.    They never caught the guy.

My advice?   Put up a “beware of dog” sign even if you don’t have a dog.   Leave a large, chewed dog toy by the front and year door.    But the BEST deterrent that you will ever get is a good dog.   Anything else just isn’t going to help you.   I can tell you hours of stories where cameras and security systems failed.   The number of stories where a dog failed are few and far between.   I know if one case where the dog got shot but survived with no evidence that the person gained access to the house.   I know of a couple cases where the interior door required repair because the dog wanted what was outside in a really bad way, once was a rear door.

Guns and lights are great but the bad guy only has to wait for you to leave.   Then he pulls on a hoodie to defeat the cameras and then does whatever he wants.

Good luck.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can recall at least a dozen times that we have recorded people committing criminal acts and the police have told us that we didn’t have enough evidence to pursue it.   One time we had recordings, we had the license plate of the vehicle, we had witnesses, the police recognized the crack-head, they informed us that he was driving his wife’s car and they STILL didn’t have enough evidence to pursue it.

2Hut8
View Quote
I worked patrol long enough to know that's just plain laziness on the part of the Patrolman. What they meant to say is "we get off in an hour and really don't feel like doing the paperwork".
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
it's possible she saw a ghost/spirit/other worldly,
View Quote
No...no it isn't.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Side note to this...

Make sure to buy SD cards for each camera, to get the maximum usefulness out of the camera.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#27]
If you do put self-contained cameras up then I would stongly advise putting them where they cannot be reached without a ladder.   Game cameras are stolen around here all of the time.   Thief takes the camera and the evidence at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Regardless of whether she had a flashlight, or flame thrower, it doesn't negate the fact that someone was prowling in my back yard. I don't know what their plans were/are, but I am reacting with worse case scenario on mind.
View Quote
I get it, and I'm not trying to make a dig.  However, while a few lights and cameras may dissuade some types of thieves, they will only make a determined thief or someone who wishes her or you some form of harm choose to be more creative to get what they want.  There are many cases where a prowler turned into a pervert/predator looking for a target.  The only way to prevent that is for her to at least appear to be aware and alert and maybe even willing and able to defend herself.

As far as helping prevent casual probing, I seem to recall (though I don't know where) an outdoor motion detector that wirelessly triggered lights inside the house to turn on.  Thus giving the perception that someone was home and that they had been alerted.  You could also probably wire an outdoor motion detector to activate in indoor light instead of the normal outdoor light (assuming the landlord approves).
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I get it, and I'm not trying to make a dig.  However, while a few lights and cameras may dissuade some types of thieves, they will only make a determined thief or someone who wishes her or you some form of harm choose to be more creative to get what they want.  There are many cases where a prowler turned into a pervert/predator looking for a target.  The only way to prevent that is for her to at least appear to be aware and alert and maybe even willing and able to defend herself.
View Quote
I get where your coming from, but she is who she is. If only they would come with USB programming ports I'd make her a killer shot, and a helluva sammich maker. I'm looking forward to 2030.

But I'm a serious note. I'm not so much worried about a home invasion while I'm home. I am most concerned about a break in during the day when everyone's at work. Through the backdoor you could literally spend 7-8 hours going in and out and no one would take notice.
My second concern is a home invasion situation while I'm working late one night and my GF is home. The good thing is my brother is usually home at night, so the probability of neither of us being in the house is pretty low.
One day I want to get a trained Shepard, or other large protective dog to watch after the house while I'm gone, but that's just not an option now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I get where your coming from, but she is who she is. If only they would come with USB programming ports I'd make her a killer shot, and a helluva sammich maker. I'm looking forward to 2030.

But I'm a serious note. I'm not so much worried about a home invasion while I'm home. I am most concerned about a break in during the day when everyone's at work. Through the backdoor you could literally spend 7-8 hours going in and out and no one would take notice.
My second concern is a home invasion situation while I'm working late one night and my GF is home. The good thing is my brother is usually home at night, so the probability of neither of us being in the house is pretty low.
One day I want to get a trained Shepard, or other large protective dog to watch after the house while I'm gone, but that's just not an option now.
View Quote
Fair enough.  If you ever run into that program let me know; id pay good money.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Get a scary looking dog that will actually bow up at someone. Best deterrent ever. Get a pair and make the deterrent value even better. One dog can be dispatched by a burglar with a pellet gun, but multiple dogs, especially dogs not in plain view, makes someone feel like they’re swimming with dark water with sharks while bleeding out.

Plenty of breeds to choose from that would be family safe yet prowler deadly.

My old English bulldog, which looks like a traditional English bulldog that’s all muscle and no fat and twice as big, saved us from a potential home invasion back when we lived in the city. The burglar tried to come in thru the glass windowed front door around 1am and backed off when the dog charged the door. He then went across the street and kicked the neighbor’s door in but fled when their alarm went off.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Risk management.
Do not go into unknown situations for no good reason.
When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Not a rifle and search scenario.
There are no ghosts. Reality is the priority, not fantasy.

Tech is used as a force multiplier and risk mitigator. Use a little, but don't go crazy with it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#33]
It helps if you think of home security in terms of layers, like a castle.  What kind of defenses does a castle have?  A moat, a drawbridge, high walls, arrow slits, an inner keep, and lots of guards.  Outer layers of defense (moat, walls, arrow slits), access point control (drawbridge), inner layers of defense (inner keep, guards).  Each of these things by themselves may not stop the bad guys, but all of them together make the castle one tough nut to crack.

Now translate that over to your house.  Outer layers of defense (outside lights, cameras, unobstructed views), access point control (solid doors, paths leading to house), inner layers of defense (locks, alarm, dogs, guns).  Get those covered and again, you will be a tough nut to crack.

One thing I've learned from 19 years in law enforcement is that most thieves are lazy opportunists.  If you make it difficult for them, they will move onto an easier target.

If you don't want a permanently installed alarm system, there are companies like SimpliSafe that use all wireless, self-installed equipment.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Make your house and surrounding property as unattractive as possible to both opportunistic and planning criminals. Lots of ways to do this. Security lighting is a good start. Hardening entry points is also a good idea. I also like dogs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not to be a dick, but this. I'll add lift some weights, too. If an 18" recce build is too heavy when you find yourself in an
adrenaline charged situation ( and I assume you did otherwise you would not have used light mounted long guns in clearing rental property
out in a town) then spend less time looking at it and more time humping it around in the woods.

There is a reason rifle PT is popular, at least in the Army. It's also why in days past joe got smoked with his rifle when he fucked up.
It gets you used to the weight of the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Agreed with all on the cameras and lighter (especially motion sensor lights).  That said, I've downsized to an AR pistol and even some compact 9mm "braced pistols".  While we live mostly in a rural area with the closest neighbors a few hundred yards away and a long driveway, the compact size is just easier to maneuver if checking out around the home, which I've done a few times.  That your brother checked it out with you is good, but I would AAR that patrol and do a little training on how to do a two-man recon patrol, even if just around the house.  If you go out of sight from each other, comms are a good suggestion and mandatory if you don't have preplanned areas to checkout.

Those with criminal intent don't like alarm systems, lights or cameras; dogs are excellent as well even if a PITA at times.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not to be a dick, but this. I'll add lift some weights, too. If an 18" recce build is too heavy when you find yourself in an
adrenaline charged situation ( and I assume you did otherwise you would not have used light mounted long guns in clearing rental property
out in a town) then spend less time looking at it and more time humping it around in the woods.

There is a reason rifle PT is popular, at least in the Army. It's also why in days past joe got smoked with his rifle when he fucked up.
It gets you used to the weight of the weapon.
View Quote
Although I'm not I'm the best shape, I do run 3 miles every morning in about 30 mins. Not incredible, but I Know it's far more than most. As far as strength I'm no power lifter, but I'm far from weak.

The rifle has a heavy contour barrel, free float rail, bipod, and a massive flashlight that is supposedly rated out the 300 yards.
CARRYING the rifle is not an issue, done so for hours on end. SHOULDERING the rifle for prolonged periods of time to utilize the light to search, that got to be difficult after a while.

Also should note, zero adrenaline dump
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't want to take this too far off topic from the information that you asked for.   Your post doesn't say what state you are in but I will ask if you considered the legal ramifications for searching the area around your residence with a weapon?   That might be considered brandishing or worse in some areas.

Had you found the person, they might have a legitimate reason for being there and it wouldn't  be hard to inadvertently cross a property line in the darkened woods, either them or you.   For the record, I would have done the same thing that you did.   Personally I think that the law makes it too easy for the bad guys to play too many games but the law is the law and either side can play it against the other.

More back on topic, to keep a long heavy barrel rifle properly shouldered will wear you out.   I assume that you were searching as far out as the light would throw and not splashing the area around you with light, which could be done at a low ready position.    How much time did you spend searching?   I am almost certainly older than you are and I am definitely more out of shape than you are but I have noticed how much weapons weigh more than I used to.   I can handle a rifle at low ready much longer than shouldered on a target.   I also recently picked up an XM177E2 clone and it is amazing how handy that little carbine is compared to my other rifles.

And even more back on topic,  I understand that thermal scopes and quality night vision are out of your budget but have you looked into the cheaper standalone cameras?   By yourself they aren't great but particularly if there are more than one of you then one can run the camera while the other person provides security.   I was given a Seek Thermal Camera for Christmas.    It plugs into my IPhone.    It is amazing how handy that thing is.    At night you can see wildlife quite a distance away.    On a cooler day it shows where creatures stopped for several minutes after they are gone.    I don't have any pics handy but I will make it a point to get some.

Again, I wish you the best of luck.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Good points. My state does have a castle doctrine, how ever it only applies to your domicile and curtiladge. While searching we remained on our property (over an acre).

Had we located someone or something, circumstances would dictate the response. Obviously we wouldn't engage in sight. More than likely who ever we might have encountered would have run. If that were the case I'd get the best description and notify the locals. If they didn't run, I'd detain, identify and interview. The outcome of the interview would dictate whether I'd tell them to GTFO of here, or your staying here till police show up.

Someone discusses movement and tactics and I greatly agree. My brother has an idea of what he's doing, and I'm pretty squared away for a non-mil guy courtesy of my employment. Comms is def something that is in our future plans. And we plan on doing some buddy drills with patrolling at night and working together/communicating. Also learning the property at night to figure out how to use the geography to our advantage.

Being out there at dark using a flashlight, saying "hey look I'm right here, where are you" really makes me understand the importance of NV. And I think that's something I'm going to bring planning on acquiring, possibly by selling some "extra" rifles/pistols I don't need.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Some random thoughts that may have already been brought up.

First, why was the person there?

- Might it have been a peeper?  They'll come back to a window where they can get their jollies.  Go outside and check that, then fix it.
- Burglar casing?  May be trying to learn your habits which are demonstrated by your interior light schedule.  IOW, if you shut out the lights to go to bed at 10pm he's learning that.
- Homeless/drifter/addict?  (My guess based on the behavior) Might be living close by and venturing out to find what he can find.  What's yours is his, at least in his mind.  Sweep farther out from your property- get permission from the neighbors; they should be cooperative as they've likely had or are worried about the problem.  Leave the AR home though.  

LIGHTING
- Lighting is helpful because the lurker doesn't know that you aren't watching him, that you didn't see him and turn on the light.  It creates doubt and unease for him.
- Those solar motion lights are great because it's a few screws and done.  Disadvantage is they're not super bright, but good enough as a warning that someone is out there.  I found some really good ones on closeout at walmart for $9 once- grabbed the four off the shelf while a guy was discussing them with an employee.  He knew about the sale and was there for the same reason I was, he still managed to get three for himself.  Anyway, put them out near the perimeter so the person(s) don't have cover of darkness advantage.  $20 to $30 each and you can take them with you when you leave.  If there's not tree, sink a post.

- Is there a light fixture on the back of the house?  Swap in a motion light.  Use the solar ones where you don't have electricity.
- Since you don't have windows out back, a few very bright spotlights pointed straight out to the perimeter won't bother you inside.  LEDs are cheaper to run, and you can put it on a random timer to go on and off frequently.  For someone casing your place, it's maddening- can't see, hard to egress with spot in his eyes, etc.

Cameras are good, but only if you're willing to spend the money on them and the time installing them.

EDIT to add: Another thought about access.  If you can, block access to the back of the property with a brush pile.  Dead trees and limbs are a b1tch to get through, and just look like a natural fence.  If you need a path through, then make just one- controlled access point.  The military uses these for a reason.

EDIT again to add: Is anyone in your house being investigated?  A PI might behave that way.  Divorce?  Business issues?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No...no it isn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's possible she saw a ghost/spirit/other worldly,
No...no it isn't.
Ah, dude, I dunno ...

Actually I was going with what's behind Door #3   -  which is either it was a curious Sasquatch or some type of alien humanoid interloping on the OP's property in search of a 'probing opportunity.'  .

The fact that his girlfriend's emotional state indicated acute fear, coupled with her difficulty in articulating what, exactly, she saw in the dark (and where), only adds to the mystery.

By the time the OP & his buddy got suited up and started running through the boonies with ARs and lights, either the Sasquatch was already in the next county peaking in windows, or the alien was back on Alpha Centauri laughing it up with Mr. Spock about 'that scared-shitless Earth chick.'
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I question whether she really saw someone at all.

Nothing against your lady, but that time of day can play tricks on the best of us.

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I question whether she really saw someone at all.

Nothing against your lady, but that time of day can play tricks on the best of us.

Just sayin'.
View Quote
As do I. She also watches murder shows like it's her job, and I wouldn't be surprised if her imagination carried her away.

But if I do nothing and it was nothing, no loss.
If I do nothing and it was something, large loss.

Update: got an Amazon solar flood light up on the back tonight. It does a good job of lighting up the area, but the motion detector doesn't pick me up until about 10 yards away.
Over time I will be getting more and adding to other sides.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#44]
So she wasn’t actually probed? Buy an AR pistol from PSA.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't know.
Did speak with a buddy of mine who used to work the jurisdiction and he confirmed that vagrants with warrants used to set up camps back in those woods.

Will be doing my own probing in near future.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Bump for update in OP
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Typo in your update... pretty they didn't "shit the husband"  
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Typo in your update... pretty they didn't "shit the husband"  
View Quote
Damn technology
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or get a sling and work on snap drills.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top