Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2020 3:52:37 PM EDT
Not sure why it took me so long to venture over this way.  But I'm glad I'm over here for now.

I do a lot of hog hunting at night as a rancher due to the problems that they cause.  I also help thin them out on a few friend's places throughout the county.

I switched to the 6.5 Grendel for testing purposes mostly back in August, and have killed I think 29 hogs with it now.  Most of my shooting has been done with the 6.8, but I've also sprinkled some .308 and .223 in there from time to time.

Anyway...I just started testing out the Barnes 120gr TAC-X/TSX in the Grendel .  I've shot three large boars with it so far, all have been CNS shots so all three boars have dropped in their tracks.  This video is my last two boars that I killed last night.  My apologies ahead of time as I am neither a medical expert nor a video creating guru.  I just haven't seen a lot of hunting/aftermath footage of the Grendel and Barnes bullets combo on YouTube yet, so I figured I'd share.

Hopefully I'll be able to put a few of these Barnes into the boiler room of a few more hogs to see if they expire as quickly as they do to a SST (my favorite).

https://youtu.be/RGZOeti4ddk
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Fantastic work and nice video!  Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice job! I keep going back to the 123gr ELDM just because it’s a bit more accurate and less chance of exiting at night. Or blowing up if I miss.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that bullets that fragment (somewhat, not varmint bullets) usually cause the hogs to drop a little quicker.  I've got a buddy who killed quite a few hogs recently with the 6.5G and ELD-M bullets, but we've both had more consistency with the SST.  Too bad they are damn near impossible to find right now for both the Grendel and 6.8 (another favorite cartridge of mine).  The previously mentioned buddy has also killed a lot of hogs with the 90gr Speer TNT...it isn't the primary target game for that bullet, but its positive effects on dropping hogs is a welcome surprise.

I basically started testing other bullets because that is all I can find right now.

Looking forward to sharing hog killing stuff with you guys more.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top