Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2023 6:57:43 PM EDT
I'm getting my first tractor on Tuesday. Kubota L2501 HST. It's what I should've bought 6 years when I moved in.

I ordered with what I'd think are the basics for my immediate needs: loader with bucket, separate grapple, rotary mower 5', box blade 5', snow blade 6'.

I didn't order other implements because I'm out of my depth on soil prep and planting, but I'm going to need to be able to plant grasses and clover soon, corn later. Small acreage - 7-10 tillable acres total.

1. Plotmaster or similar all-in-one implement? Hunter 500 for example.

2. Plow, disc or drag harrow, spreader or drill, Cultipacker? I might be missing an implement.

3. I also have access to reasonably priced Amish labor - and they're always looking for work. Hire them and not buy my own equipment?

Appreciate your thoughts on it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.on the great new tractor, enjoy the hell out of it, I can't imagine life without one.
You ask alot of big questions but they are important.
First remember that the HST tranny is not made for alot of hard pulling.
7 acres with a 2 bottom plow will kill it fast, it is a wonderful tranny for most things but long hard pulling is really hard on them and should be done with a standard tranny.

This will likely be your most used implement,  fertilizer, lime, grass and clover seed.

Attachment Attached File

Next would be a brushhog and a boom sprayer.
There is no end to what you could buy but you need a game plan.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats.on the great new tractor, enjoy the hell out of it, I can't imagine life without one.
You ask alot of big questions but they are important.
First remember that the HST tranny is not made for alot of hard pulling.
7 acres with a 2 bottom plow will kill it fast, it is a wonderful tranny for most things but long hard pulling is really hard on them and should be done with a standard tranny.

This will likely be your most used implement,  fertilizer, lime, grass and clover seed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413300/Screenshot_20230527_194221_Chrome_jpg-2831138.JPG

Next would be a brushhog and a boom sprayer.
There is no end to what you could buy but you need a game plan.
View Quote
I assume you mean a two bottom is going to trash a HST. Is a single bottom plow going to wear a HST badly?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I assume you mean a two bottom is going to trash a HST. Is a single bottom plow going to wear a HST badly?
View Quote

Well, first of all it depends on the conditions, turning sod is hard on the tractor.
Second, almost no one around here plows with one or 2 bottom plow anymore.
Spray it, wait a few weeks and harrow it depending on what your doing with it and what you have for rocks.
Turning sod or breaking new ground just sucks.
If you have alot of rocks it may not be.plowable, just pasture ground.
But the HST is a great set up but it not made for prolonged hard pulling.
I have harrowed with my B3200 but only small bits at a time and not with the harrow in full dig.
It does not take long to overheat a HST while pulling but for anything else they are the cats ass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
A disk harrow might be a better choice.  You would need to stay around 4 foot maybe 5 wide with a small tractor.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are you planting? Crops for forage / animals, or cash, or food plots.
You forgot to add quick hitch to your assortment of implements - especially if you have that many implements.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

If I was doing that small of a piece of land, I’d just find someone to do custom work as needed.  Buying, maintaining, and storing equipment you don’t use much doesn’t pay, unless you just like having iron around and that is OK too.  

Otherwise, spray and drill, you’ll probably want a cultipacker as well, good luck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A disk harrow might be a better choice.  You would need to stay around 4 foot maybe 5 wide with a small tractor.  

View Quote

This. You can do a lot by hand. But a harrow is a must. The heaviest you can pull.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
My vote is separate implements.

I jus bought a Land Pride Rotary Tiller. It’s being delivered this week.

been doing the plow, disc, cultipacker for 20 years.

Excited for the tiller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top