Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2018 11:08:02 AM EDT
I have looked at the ones on Amazon and see lots of options.  Here is what I think I want option wise:

Use AA rechargeable batteries
AM/FM/Weather/Shortwave
Solar/Wind up charging
USB charger for phones or small electronics
Rugged use rated
Can also be plugged into wall outlet for use/charging
Well rated by users (3-5 stars out of 5)

I am most interested in hearing about your choices and experiences.

Thanks,
Tex
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at a Kaito Voyager Pro. It should fit your needs. It's sometimes referred to as the "Swiss Army Knife" of radios.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Very high on your list of options should be: Sensitive Radio Receiver
The radio receiver should be able to separate one station from another, i.e. selectivity, and the signals should be amplified without noise, so that they can be brought to a sufficient level to be heard.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a Tecsun PL-390 for 6 years.  If has a flaw, but otherwise gets good marks.

3xAA NiMH batteries, with on board USB charging.  It can use alkaleaks.

SW/FM/AM.

20" telescoping antenna.  I'm on my second, an upgrade.

Stereo speakers.

No weather channel.

The flaw is that the digital tuning wheel gets a bit dwanky and won't always fall on the spot you want it to.

I live with it, but it was a known issue when I bought it, but didn't care.

$70 bucks and has pretty good sound and sensitivity with an external antenna.

Plenty of presets, plenty of features, lit display, stuff like that.

I've put a lot of hours on it, a lot.  I'm a radio guy.  Absent the tuning dial issue, it's been a great radio.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a Tecsun PL-390 for 6 years.  If has a flaw, but otherwise gets good marks.

3xAA NiMH batteries, with on board USB charging.  It can use alkaleaks.

SW/FM/AM.

20" telescoping antenna.  I'm on my second, an upgrade.

Stereo speakers.

No weather channel.

The flaw is that the digital tuning wheel gets a bit dwanky and won't always fall on the spot you want it to.

I live with it, but it was a known issue when I bought it, but didn't care.

$70 bucks and has pretty good sound and sensitivity with an external antenna.

Plenty of presets, plenty of features, lit display, stuff like that.

I've put a lot of hours on it, a lot.  I'm a radio guy.  Absent the tuning dial issue, it's been a great radio.

Chris
View Quote
This is what I'm looking for.  Personal experience. Thanks for the Info and reference.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Solar/Wind up charging
View Quote
Wind-up charging involves a collection of several dozen mechanical parts - springs, plastic gears, bearings, a dynamo with brushes, etc. - none of which are particularly dependable.

Suggestion: Find some other way of recharging your radio batteries.

Ideally, you'll also be using the same rechargable battery size for powering other devices (standardization is a good thing!) - So a charger that operates on solar power or plugs into a 12V cigarette lighter outlet or USB port probably makes more sense.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
if you are looking for a desk top weather alert radio, you might look at a Recom... I have both a Midland and Recom... the Midland additionally is AM/FM but the model Recom I use is not.... I like the Recom..... after the warning alert tone, the alert is given audibly, the Midland is printed format

my wind up is an old Grundig FR200... the analog tuning drifts a lot, but has made it through the last 20 years or so... got a lot of use during the 2004/2005 season
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.amazon.com/American-Cross-Emergency-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000EIBVKG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531621524&sr=8-3&keywords=eton+fr400+emergency+radio&dpID=4199GP77FZL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have this Eton fr 400 radio that I has been in use for at least 15 years. Granted we don't have critical dangerous weather events other than the usual spring hail storms here in dfw, but in the few occasions when we had power outages and really heavy snow/ice it was very handy. Mine gets most of it's use truck camping out in the boonies of West Texas/New Mexico and Oklahoma/Arkansas.

I see that it has been discontinued, but there are other newer models by the same manufacturer. I see no reason to believe they would be of any lesser quality or serviceability. Mine has been very reliable. It has built in rechargeable batteries, can run on AA, can be hand cranked, charged from USB, and will charge cell phones and tablets as needed. Alert mode works very well. It will wake the dead. Tuner seems to work good as I have always been able to find a station in spite of being in some pretty remote areas. If/when this one craps out on me I will buy another one from them, one of the newer models.

As I recall, I did a LOT of reading on emergency radios before deciding on the Eton brand. That and I seem to remember getting a great deal on it during someone's sale.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
be leery of inexpensive crank to charge radios. A lot of times they can be poorly built, so the crank arm snaps
off or something fails....just keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
You wont find the options you have listed in one complete package.

This is going to do a lot of listening for you come SHTF...

https://countycomm.com/products/countycomm-gp-5-ssb-general-purpose-radio

With that said don't discount Ham radio.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Ham-Radios/22/
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Panasonic RF-2400D - Cheap, reliable, no-frills AM/FM radio with good reviews

Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Cross-Emergency-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000EIBVKG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531621524&sr=8-3&keywords=eton+fr400+emergency+radio&dpID=4199GP77FZL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have this Eton fr 400 radio that I has been in use for at least 15 years. Granted we don't have critical dangerous weather events other than the usual spring hail storms here in dfw, but in the few occasions when we had power outages and really heavy snow/ice it was very handy. Mine gets most of it's use truck camping out in the boonies of West Texas/New Mexico and Oklahoma/Arkansas.

I see that it has been discontinued, but there are other newer models by the same manufacturer. I see no reason to believe they would be of any lesser quality or serviceability. Mine has been very reliable. It has built in rechargeable batteries, can run on AA, can be hand cranked, charged from USB, and will charge cell phones and tablets as needed. Alert mode works very well. It will wake the dead. Tuner seems to work good as I have always been able to find a station in spite of being in some pretty remote areas. If/when this one craps out on me I will buy another one from them, one of the newer models.

As I recall, I did a LOT of reading on emergency radios before deciding on the Eton brand. That and I seem to remember getting a great deal on it during someone's sale.
View Quote
I had a Red Cross Eton model as well.  Little different than yours as it only had the internal battery that you could charge via hand crank or USB, but could also charge USB devices.  Little AM/FM/NOAA radio and flashlight.  Sturdy unit too with a durable hard plastic and pull out antenna.  I bought several for different family members that probably don't care the same way I do about this kind of stuff.

Overall still works to this day many years down the road.  I keep mine in my truck.  Highly recommend Eton as well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yet another vote for Eton if you want a leave-it-in-the-drawer until there's an
emergency type radio, and you don't prepare much (e.g. you can't count
on having batteries, other flashlights, or any means of powering things.)

Also, just a FYI, don't count on getting much out of shortwave these days,
there's really not that much programming on the air anymore that's useful.

I have the eton solar/crank AM/FM/NOAA flashlight radio, and I've given quite a few
as gifts. It's one of the few peices of gear I got an after-action report on
from my non-prepper friend.

They had to deal with a significant (days) power outage, and (as I expected) they
were woefully unprepared, as were all their neighbors. The only functioning
flashlight was that radio, and most of their neighbors didn't even have that,
some were getting in their cars to listen to the radios because it was the only
one they had that worked. In my friend's case, they could stay safely inside and
listen to the news reports on AM/FM.

If you're slightly more prepared, I think the countycomm GP-5 posted earlier isn't
a bad choice, or any of the similar Tecsun units, however none of them have NOAA
coverage. If you get a decent weather radio to augment them, you're covered.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
OP - I think I might have found a radio for you with many of the features you want. The reviewer sez >"The good news is that the Skywave is certainly a sensitive and selective portable. While evaluating shortwave performance over the past week, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how well this little radio receives."<  Remember, sensitivity is important in any radio receiver.

Review of the C. Crane CC Skywave portable radio

Hope This Helps!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Lighting deal $25  Kello Solar Crank NOAA Weather Radio For Emergency with AM/FM/SW/All Hazard Public Alert, Flashlight, Alarm Clock, Power Bank Function

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VDG99G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You wont find the options you have listed in one complete package.

This is going to do a lot of listening for you come SHTF...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1437/9632/products/organicgraygp5-7_1024x1024.jpg?v=1528822648

https://countycomm.com/products/countycomm-gp-5-ssb-general-purpose-radio

With that said don't discount Ham radio.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/Ham-Radios/22/
View Quote
SSB in that too, I might have to get one of them
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an older CCrane am/fm/2 meter sw. It has capacity for either 4aa or 4d cells. I have alternate battery charging capabilities along with direct solar power options. Has stereo out external ant options and AM reception is incredible.
It's been a workhorse for about 15 years, gets turned on daily. Battery life is good and I truly enjoy sitting on the back porch in the summertime seeing what SW signal I can pull in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top