Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I may have missed it but how do you intend to keep it all dry?  Answer: Garbage bag.  I had one in my ruck sack all through ranger and sapper school.   My shit never got wet.  Add two large lawn and garden garbage bags.  They are thick, waterproof, and in an emergency can be a (shitty) sleeping bag/poncho/canteen/rainfly/tent/tourniquet/rain water collector, etc.

I'm an Army PA and your first aid kit is huge.  I didnt use that much stuff on a 800 man battalion during a 30 day jrtc rotation.

4x4, antibiotic ointment and tape.  If you need more than that, you aren't making it 30 miles.  MAYBE a Tourniquet.  You don't need a sam splint, you need a stick, so unless you live above the tree line......  

Add chap stick.  You are gonna be chaffed after walking 30 miles.  Antibiotoc ointment (not cream) can serve double duty for this too

Figure out what you have that can pull double duty and save weight.  550 cord makes an effective yet horrible tourniquet etc.

I would reduce the first aid, increase the food, add a few garbage bags and chap stick.

Eta.  When AOC has her way and you get targeted/your car searched by the police, is that Norco Rx'd to you and clearly marked as such.  Get the rest of your pills in a blister pack for easy ID.  Pills in a baggie=druggie.

Eta2.  I re-read what I wrote and I think I came across as a holier than thou asshole.  That is not my intent.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd ditch the cooking gear and instead get things like power bars.  The chicken broth in particular is kind of useless because it adds no calories.  You are traveling, not camping and for 3 days you need energy and calories, not comfort.   Like the last guy said, cut down your medical supplies and focus on the bare bones of what will get you through a couple of days,

For the particular purpose of a get home bag you may want to include some lightweight tried and true running shoes depending on terrain, the most comfortable you can get.  You will be doing a lot of walking.

I'd also include an oversized waterproof zip hoodie type shell jacket, big enough to wear over a heavy outer coat. some clean underwear and cheap tinted eyepro.    Assume you will get caught out with nothing, wearing all the wrong clothes.

The face filter mask seems like overkill - I doubt you could walk for 3 full days wearing that particularly in hot weather.   What you carry is a compromise between functionality and portability.   A simple N95 mask should suffice for what you will probably encounter.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Where did you net out OP?
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it bro.

I don’t see the need for about 85% of it. But hell yeah! You have it covered.

I’m way more simple. Give me a water filter & tablets, A change of clothes including socks beanie and a towel, a basic FAK, two Mylar blankets and a multi tool.

I have the gun, mags and knife on me.

If I can’t make it home with that in three days. Times are really rough and home is no longer an option other than a resupply in which case I will change to E&E mode and move like a  ghost.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Feel like you have more first-aid than needed... and only 10 miles a day?  What’s your age/physical condition?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]
your making me rethink my kit as I travel 100 miles round trip every day.

I have a small 5.11 pack  that I take into work with my and my extra go bag in car.
don't have half that stuff you listed.
things are changing and may have to add more
thanks for the post!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:55:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a modern backpack.

Ditch two pair of socks. You can use the ones you have on for day one and the spare for 48 hours.

Add compact solar panel and cables for charging phone/electronics.

Lifestraw or sawyer.

Glock 19.

Para cord.

3 day compressed food brick.

3 days is nothing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Feel like you have more first-aid than needed... and only 10 miles a day?  What’s your age/physical condition?
View Quote

Depending on the level of security the area he is moving through has, eight miles a day could be on the high end.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the best things that you can do is a weekend dry practice run. Take your gear and just do a 5 mile hike somewhere. Then based off of that you can mod up your bug out bag. The hike can be anywhere just make sure it is close to a road so that if you need to be picked up your ride can get to you. After the 5 mile hike then try a longer hike and again make mods based upon experience. After you do this a bit you will probably find all you really want is good shoes,water,a wide brimmed hat,small flashlight and some energy bars and pogy bait. Maybe a poncho liner or jacket. It is really hard to use to use others advice because your areas of operation will vary. A bug out in Hawaii is not that same as Arizona and Alaska is not the same as Nevada. Practical experience is your best teacher.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ditch two pair of socks. You can use the ones you have on for day one and the spare for 48 hours.

Add compact solar panel and cables for charging phone/electronics.
View Quote

Much depends on the weather.  I've learned over the years in .mil and doing distance backpacking that you're eventually going to get soaking wet.  If you're moving on foot, the only way to keep your feet as dry as possible is quality socks, changed often.  Good weather?  I've gone 6-7 days with one pair of hiking socks and didn't even need to rotate.  Backpacking in heavy rain?  I've had to change three times in one day just to keep my feet from getting too wet where skin softens and blisters occur much more easily.  My clothing system is designed to be layered, but I will always pack extra socks, no less than three even for a short 30-40 mile backpacking trip.  

Power requirements really need to be assessed.  Last year I did a 106 mile trek on the AT without resupply (planned for 9 days, but did it in 7 days and a wakeup).  I wanted to try my smallest solar charger, the excellent Suntactics 5W. It's small, pretty light, very robust and excellent efficiency.  All I really used was my phone and I had a small two-bay AA (Eneloop) USB charger that I wanted to test.  Worked like a charm on the days with good sun access.  The key is to limit your battery usage/consumption.  I used a GPS enabled trail map on my phone.  I had topo maps downloaded, I used the camera during the day and Kindle app at night.  I pretty much kept WiFi and mobile features turned off; all apps except the one I was using was turned off.  I only burned about 10-15% of my phone's battery during the day, and it took about an hour or so to get back to 99% with the solar charger.  

For longer, more remote backcountry trips, this charger gets the nod.  For anything less than 100-150 miles?  I'll just use my Anker 10,000mAh charger as it would easily support a 7-8 day, 100+miles.  It really depends on how many other electronics you need, how much you use them, and how many batteries they'll burn through.  Add in NV, GPS, or do a lot of illuminated treks at night, and you'll need more batteries or have to spend more time bunkered down during day as you try to recharge on a solar charger.  

For anyone considering this type of a setup, you really need to figure out your uses and power requirements per day and test out your theory before packing in a pack for a rainy day (pun intended)

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Lose 90% of that and get a bike. Home in a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#12]
The only thing I am going to add since I did not see it mentioned is that I pack all my "Stuff" in vacuum bags. I use a foodsaver type sealer. examples, AR7, Magazines, poncho and wooby etc. Multiple self evident reasons for vacuum sealing but I will give one warning, this saves so much space you may have a tendency to overpack. Remember just because the volume decreases the weight does not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lose 90% of that and get a bike. Home in a few hours.
View Quote

Yep. Mentioned the Montague Paratrooper folding mountain bike early on.
Quoted:
The only thing I am going to add since I did not see it mentioned is that I pack all my "Stuff" in vacuum bags. I use a foodsaver type sealer. examples, AR7, Magazines, poncho and wooby etc. Multiple self evident reasons for vacuum sealing but I will give one warning, this saves so much space you may have a tendency to overpack. Remember just because the volume decreases the weight does not.
View Quote

I don't recommend this. Putting items in ziplock bags or dry bags for a little added protection? Sure. But not vacuum sealing. Makes it too easy to overestimate space. You don't want to take the shit out in an actual SHTF situation, only to realize you now have absolutely no way to fit it all back in the pack.

I've known a misguided individual who actually made that mistake packing for a 2-3 week vacation. Why would you need to pack THAT much clothing? Female. Wanted to make sure her wardrobe had enough variety to accommodate any possible scenario. 'Nuff said.

Couldn't squash more than 60% back in the suitcase (she said she tried the whole sitting/standing on the suitcase to close it). Bought a 2nd suitcase because she didn't want to toss her favorite clothes. Paid a hefty price for the extra baggage.

P.S.
For a hilarious example of how NOT to pack for SHTF, you can amuse yourself by reading A. American's 'Going Home'. Be warned, when I first read it on a friend's recommendation, I thought it was written as an infomercial by someone who owned a camping/survival store, trying to hawk his stuff to the basement dwellers.

The author LOVES detailing the make and model of EVERY single thing the protagonist has, i.e. not just a backpack, but an Osprey 65L model blah, blah etc. (Making that up. I didn't bother remembering the make and model of everything he listed).

The protagonist supposedly grumbles about the ~60lb weight of the pack, but has THREE different cooking systems, 2 - 3 different sleep/shelter setups. . And the protagonist constantly runs into people who only fall into the extreme ends of the preparedness spectrum:  either so unprepared, they don't even have a bottle for water, or so well prepared that he continually encounters people willing to throw a feast with a whole lot of food choices for a stranger... in the middle of SHTF... oh, and give him all kinds of cool shit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#14]
One thing I would add.

At least a 20L, wet/dry bag.

Can be used to keep your clothes dry until needed, to store water if you happen to need more and find clean water, and as a floatation device if you need to do something stupid like crossing a river/lake.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top